OT - San Antonio advice, anyone?

ms*mountaineer

DIS Veteran
We're going to a family reunion in Wimberly, TX next week. (yes, I know it's going to be HOT!) We're flying into San Antonio and plan to spend the first night at a hotel on the Riverwalk and do something in San Antonio the next day before heading to Wimberly for the rest of the trip.

Any tips for the Riverwalk? We have two little girls (7 and 6) - anything to recommend that they would enjoy doing?

We are also considering doing Sea World on that second day. Anyone have any tips for Sea World? (I don't know how similar the one in San Antonio is to the one in Orlando)

Thanks!

There's tons to do in San Antonio. As for the riverwalk, there's a Rainforest cafe you know. It gets very busy though on the weekends as do all the restaurants. Take one of the boat tours. Go to the riverwalk center and see the imax movie for the alamo ( I think they have an aquatic one too). If you walk out the doors behind the imax and follow the path around you will be almost facing the alamo. It's right across the street from the riverwalk, on the other side of the mall. Across from the alamo is the famous menger (haunted) hotel and the Ripleys Attractions: Ripleys Believe it or Not, Ripleys Haunted something or other attraction and some sort of ride attraction. There's a do all 3 special but it aint cheap! Looked fun though although they told us the Haunted attraction was a bit scary. Sea World is fun as is Six Flags Fiesta Texas (not WDW by any stretch though). There's also a little old fashioned kiddy ride place near the zoo we always take the kids called Kiddie Park. It's the oldest children's amusement park. It's something like $9.95 for unlimited rides. Now it's old and rusty place but my little ones love it. The zoo train is also around the corner. And you must go to the Mexican Market on the backside of downtown SA. Mi Tierra's (Mexican restaurant) is a MUST for tourists. Rio Rio on the riverwalk is pretty good as is La Margaritas. Republic of Texas restaurant is not...:eek: and if you can swing it New Braunfels is about a 15 minute drive up I-35 North where they have the wonderful and original Schliterrban waterpark. It rivals Disney waterparks. :upsidedow

I second almost everything said in the prior post.
However I would not choose to eat at any of the places downtown on the riverwalk. Yea they are fun, but the food is just ok.
The kiddie park is fun and cute in an old kinda way. It's on Broadway and is really easy to get to from downtown. It's right on the edge of Brekinridge Park and the zoo is located inside that park as well.There is also a miniture train ride that goes all around the park. It's a good long ride. Right across the street from the kiddie park is a restaraunt called Tomatillos that is pretty darn good. If you want to eat Tex-mex that is. All these things are in my nighborhood. I can walk to the zoo and the kiddie park. Heck I can hear that darn train ALL the time. :rotfl:
As far as Seaworld is concerned I can't help ya there as I have never been. :scared1:
Don't overlook the Alamo or the riverwalk boat ride. Both are worth a looksee.
I really hope the temps break a bit before yall get here. It has been a miserable summer so far.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to pm me.
Krissy

Sea World can be done in a day....I am the opposite, I can't compare it to Orlando because I was 8 the last time I went to that one :) So I'm not sure. But DH and I went last Thanksgiving and had a good time.

In addition to what folks have said and what you have planned, you will see billboards for some big caverns in the area - those are definitely worth a look (and MUCH MUCH COOLER!!!). One of them has a wildlife park as well.

Sounds like that would cover your two days in the area. Longer trips would be worth a drive to New Braunfels Schlitterbahn or San Marcos outlets. There are popular rivers in that area as well :)

As for Wimberley (if you need time away from the family ;) ), you could always visit Fredericksburg for a charming small town. Also, they have probably flown off for now but the town of Llano - outside of Burnett (north) usually lays host to a nest of bald eagles on the side of a road.

Enjoy your trip!!

I would hit the Alamo for sure! It is just a short walk from the Riverwalk. There is also Fiesta Texas in addition to Sea World. There is also several Natural Caverns around. If you do not mind driving about 40 minutes, you could also go to Schlitterbaun in New Braunsfels. It is one of the best water parks in the country! I would also go hit the Mexican Food.

If you want to show them some additional history, You can take the kiddos out to the LBJ Ranch in Stonewall. They have just opened up more of it since Lady Bird passed away. There is also the Nimitz Museum in Fredricksburg.

Schlitterbaun

LBJ Ranch

Nimitz Museum

Fiesta Texas

Natural Bridge Caverns

The Alamo

Wow, I'm really missing Texas right about now! As you can see there is tons to do in the San Antonio / Hill Country area. I will just add a couple of things. Best Tex-Mex on the river, IMHO, is Casa Rio. Get a table next to the river, great food, great margaritas, and a mariachi band comes around. Also The Market Square is in downtown San Antiono and that is a cool place to visit. The two restaurants there, La Margaritas & Mi Tierra are also really good. Yes it will be hot, but it's Texas in the summer. Have a great time!

another vote for Mi Tierra's at the market! it is great and was featured on Samantha Brown's weekend show in TX. it is open 24/7 and never closes!

Schlitterbahn is the BEST waterpark in the world. it is huge and offers over 65 acres of fun, including the longest rapids and tube rides (over 3 miles together) that i have ever seen- i swear we were on this one rapid/tube ride for a good hour and part of it dumped you in the river too. They use some river water for some of the slides too. It has like 3 separate parks, a tram takes you from one park to another. We can't wait to take our DS there maybe next summer. I highly recommend it.

SeaWorld SA is nice too- we were there last July and can I say HOT!!! I live in Dallas and am used to our horrible heat, but it was just miserable out there. We spent a lot of time in the air conditioned (almost too cold) beer barn where they have free beer samples! saved by beer! :rotfl:

Just a quick note, Kiddie Park on Broadway is now closed due to safety violations and an issue with the park's insurance. No re-open date listed.

I used to live in SA and often go there on business. A great place to stay right on the Riverwalk is the Drury Inn and suites on St. Mary's. Very family friendly with a great breakfast in the a.m. Casa Rio is the place to go with kids. Boudro's for adults. La Villita, at the end of the Riverwalk has lots of nice artist shops. Hope these pictures (taken in May) get you psyched for your trip. Have a great time.

Casario1.jpg

Senoritas.jpg

CasaRiomenu.jpg

Alamodusk.jpg

Sepiagate.jpg

Riverboats.jpg

Ya just gotta have a hat in Texas!!
Pinkhat.jpg

We were in Galveston for a wedding this time last year and spent 3 days in SA. Loved it so much we want to move there. My DD was 6 and loved Sea World me not so much because I was very sick that day and it was so hot. Loved the riverwalk stayed at the Hotel Contessa on the riverwalk. It was fantastic. DD also love the market square downtown and Mi Tierra was great. It has a giant painting of Selena. Have a super trip. Wish we were there.

We stayed at the Hotel Contessa also over spring break week. I was able to get a great deal on priceline (under $100!). It's an all-suite brand new hotel smack on the riverwalk.

you guys are awesome! These are great tips! Keep 'em coming!

Quicklabs - is that seriously a pink cowboy hat with a princess crown on it?? I've got a 6 yr old that would love that

along with the Alamo, there is a mission trail that includes 4 more mission forts. They are really neat to visit and the chapels are still in use.

Just google San Antonio Mission Trail to get to their webpage.

:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter