OT Other theme park help

Haven’t been in a long time, but Hersheypark is fun. :thumbsup2

OP, if you want to try something a little different, also consider Knoebels in Elysburg, PA. It’s a smaller park with nice shady grounds and a nostalgic feel. They have several coasters including wooden one and a great log flume, plus a good number of kiddie rides and other traditional rides for the whole family. (And one of the few carousels left where you can try to grab a brass ring!)

The best part about Knoebels is that admission is free. You can either get a pay-one-price pass or buy individual ride tickets. (It’s great for grandparents who don’t ride but want to spend the day with grandkids.) Food is pretty good and reasonably priced, and they also allow you to bring your own and use their picnic area. They also have a big swimming pool and a campsite. Check out their website and reviews. It’s a little over an hour’s drive from Hershey, so you could visit both in the same trip.

I love that carousel!

LOL, I’m old enough to remember touring the real chocolate factory with my family around 1970, when they still had tours. It smelled sooo good! And back then, every visitor got a free full-size Hershey bar at the end. :cool1:

My parents also visited the actual factory. My first trip to Hershey was in 1973, the year Chocolate World opened. It was about an hour's wait to even enter the building. Both it and the amusement park were much smaller than they are now. I visited about five or six times since then, the most recent time being Spring 2018. Yeah, they got cheap and only give out a "fun size" bar at the end of the ride now. But the trolley tour gave out full size bars, as did the Hershey Lodge.

OP, if you stay at the Hershey Hotel, Lodge, or Campground, you get free tickets to the museum and gardens.

I liked the double-arm Ferris wheel Hersheypark used to have. Unfortunately it was removed about 15 years ago and replaced with a standard model.

I liked the double-arm Ferris wheel Hersheypark used to have. Unfortunately it was removed about 15 years ago and replaced with a standard model.

I remember that Ferris wheel too. Thought it was a great design because they could load/unload one side while the other side was up and turning. Very efficient way to maximize the number of riders and minimize wait times. IIRC, you could spin the cars too, as it was going around. Wonder why they got rid of it?

Last edited:
I remember that Ferris wheel too. Thought it was a great design because they could load/unload one side while the other side was up and turning. Very efficient way to maximize the number of riders and minimize wait times. IIRC, you could spin the cars too, as it was going around. Wonder why they got rid of it?

My guess is that it reached the end of its useful life and became too difficult and expensive to maintain, and maybe its popularity waned over the years. Two parks that I know of had triple-arm models from the same manufacturer. Those had similar lifespans.

Interesting to know about construction. Should not make a difference though (and kids prices for all is a nice bonus), plus we will hit the grocery stores to see if we can find cheaper tickets as well.
Looking into Knoebels to see if we have time for a side trip! Thanks for the heads up on that!
Thanks again y'all!

PS Have done Stone Mountain many times (In-laws live near there). Even did our engagement pictures there!

In case you would like to go to the Hershey Story Museum, there's a Groupon for it right now if you search under Hershey PA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter