OT-In home Childcare pay and arrangements?

murcor

All you need is faith and trust...and a little pix
Hi,
Just wondering what the norm is for inhome childcare regarding pay, and duties you expect from them. In MY home.

My current sitter gets $50.00/day 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
or $30.00/day for after school 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm

She does 1 load laundry day
and empties dishwasher

Children are 9 & 8 so most is afterschool with full weeks in the summer & winter vacations.

minimun $150.00/week if no days worked etc. equals approx 8 weeks/year

She comes to my house and I trust her very much.

She wants to now watch the kids in her home with 3 others and expects the same pay & conditions?

Thanks

Seems excessive to me.

We live in the GTA and paid $40 a day for DD to be looked after at the daycare providers house. This was from the time she was one until a few months ago (when she was three).

Are there any after school programs offered at your school?

Show up on the first day with a laundry basket of clothes, and a second one with your dishes.

Hey,. if she expects the same pay, I would expect the same work.

I am a home childcare provider. I live in a community with about 2000 people in it. I have my ECE and have done home daycare now for just over 8 years. I provide breakfast, snack, lunch, snack. I live beside the public school so I am very busy all the time, and turn people away probably everyday! These are my rates.
I work 7:30 to 5.
For a full day, for one child, I charge $35/day
For same family, one child all day/ 1 after school/ $45.00
2 children same family $50.00 day
5 hours and less I charge a half day rate of $25
Just after school, $10 for the first child,$5.00 for each additional in the same family!
Anything after 5 pm, I charge $5.00 per/half hour
I also require 2 weeks notice to a day the child will not be here, or I charge for the full day. If I get notice I only chg for half a day!
Hope this helps!

superior child care + happy children = peace of mind that's priceless
it's not the item you want to skimp on, so good for you for paying for quality

Hi,
Just wondering what the norm is for inhome childcare regarding pay, and duties you expect from them. In MY home.

and empties dishwasher

Children are 9 & 8 so most is afterschool with full weeks in the summer & winter vacations.

She wants to now watch the kids in her home with 3 others and expects the same pay & conditions?

Thanks

we pay $650/month for daycare in barrie, they also drop our child off at school, and pick her up, every secound day from 7am- 6pm ( I usally pick her up earlier though)

Honestly, that is thing, quality childcare is hard to find!! I am not trying to toot my own horn, but I have lived in this town all of my life, and I am in very high demand!!! I will only take 4 full time ones, and at the end of the day I have 10 total, including my own 2. I could probably charge more then I do, but I will not rip people off eithier. I know people here charge far more then I do, and some of them have way to many kids, and the kids suffer because they don't get the attention they deserve, which is to bad!! They also don't stick with it, they start doing it on a whim, then decide that it is to much work, so quit.
If you have someone you really feel very comfortable with, they are worth every penny! It is one of the reasons I quit my daycare job, when I had my kids, because I didn't feel like there was anyone here that I felt comfortable leaving with my kids with!

We take our DD to the daycare provider's home and we pay $25/day. This has been the same rate since DD was one and she is now five and a half. DD is now in school until 11am and the sitter picks her up two of the five days. The other three days my DH picks DD up and takes her to the sitters for 1:30pm. I pick her up at 5:30pm. We still pay the same, $25/day whether it is a shorter day or not. My DH works in the afternoons now so DD is never at the sitter's before 11am. This is the same rate we paid when DH worked days and DD was there all day, every day from 7am until between 4:30 and 5:30pm.

We have two weeks where we do not pay for our vacation time AND two weeks that we do not pay for her vacation time. Sick days are paid for and stat holidays.

I know we have an excellant deal and DD is very happy with our sitter. There are two other children that she takes to school and picks up every day and she has never charged them more. I am guessing from this post that we are in a good position. Plus we get a tax receipt.

Yes, I realize that you can't put a price on good child care. But in this day and age it can get very costly. My sitter provides everything from food and baby wipes ( not diapers though) to toothbrushes, new toys etc.. because she can write them off. Even when I have brought something for a treat like some donuts she will make us take the leftovers home.

Suz

You called her a sitter. Did she finish some schooling and is now doing daycare? Is she going to be licensed?

I would want to know more before I left my children in her care at her house. Out here you are not allowed more than 2 children (plus your own) if you are unlicensed. When you are licensed then you are allowed more (usually 7, but can depend on space, ages of children, etc).

If she hasn't done anymore schooling or courses to do with childcare, I don't see why she feels she should be able to charge you the same amount. She is doing less work for you, spending less time with your children, having you drop off/pick up your children (saving her time) and you are not gaining anything but possibly new friends for your children to play with.

I think $50/day for both kids is a great deal. I think some places in Calgary are that much per day for toddler age.
I paid about $25/day for son 2 years ago, he's old enough not to need care now. And $30/day in August for day camp at a day care type place.
You already know & trust her. It will actually be cheaper if the kids are at her house - you'd use less electricity & water.
Your kids will have a couple others to play with too.

Hi,

and empties dishwasher

Thanks

You seem to be getting a steal for your full day care - that's 8.5 hrs for $50 which is only 5.88 per hour but yet she gets $12 per hour for just after school care - why such a big difference in pay for the full day/before and after rates??

I'm a child care provider in S.Ontario with my ECE/montessori and in my area the rates for care in the providers house are $35 to $40 per day PER child with $10 to $18 for after school care only - after school here is from 3:30 to 5 for me - no sibling discounts from any providers I know here as a spot is a spot so if you are taking up 2 you pay for 2. If you want someone to come into your house specifically for your child only it's $10+ per hour ($ goes up with the number of kids you have) and you are expected to treat them like an employee with regards to taxes and such.

Perhaps you should ask around in your area to find out what the going rate is for in home daycare to see if she's being reasonable or not.

Thanks for starting this thread. We are starting to think about childcare and I'm lost in terms of rates. We will have our baby in May and I'll go back to work in September. We are just trying to figure out if DH will take parental leave or if we will hire someone to come into our home. I really do not want to send my infant to daycare or to someone else's home. If we did have someone come in, we would like them to do a load of laundry each day and the dishes. I think we would want them here from 11 am to 4 pm. I might be here too sometimes since I work partly from home but I can't work and care for an infant. Any idea on how much to reasonably expect to pay someone for this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter