OT: Ideas for outdoor last-day-of-school party games?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by mermaidwannabe, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mermaidwannabe

mermaidwannabe DIS Veteran

:sunny: Hi! I got such GREAT responses this past Christmas that I thought I'd push my luck and ask you all for ideas on outdoor party games for 20 first graders. We'll be walking to a nearby park and eating pizza either before or after games depending upon the heat that day. It's 88 degrees today already!!

I think we'll do a water balloon toss and hope for the best. Then there's Red Rover, Red Rover. I want to do a potato sack race but need to find burlap sacks first. I may do a pinata, but I'm not sure yet. The teacher said we could stay there for a long time so I want to have a lot of games just in case. ;)

Looking forward to hearing from you creative DISers! :goodvibes

TIA!!

2. Chickysmom

Chickysmom Sadly....tagless

anything water related they would love! how about the "transfer water from one pail to another" game? they could use some sort of container to run the water from one pail to the other some set distance away...sure to be some wet fun there!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. redshoes

redshoes <font color=red>I'm sitting here watching the new

How about Water Balloon vollyball. You can do different versions- like using a blindfold etc..

5. Chickysmom

hard-boiled egg tosses are fun

and maybe a small swimming pool filled with water and soap and use a hulahoop to make really large bubbles

6. cookie

cookie Earning My Ears

You can separate them into equal lines, each one in front of another in line,and then they can pass wet sponges over and under (the first one in line passes sponge over head to the next which passes under through legs to the next so on and so on) Tons of fun , wet , and the different teams can compete to see which one gets done first. :thumbsup2

7. dizagain

dizagain DIS Veteran

We have done a whipped cream/sugarless bubblegum relay several times and it's always a hit!

Divide into two teams...relay down to a table with a paper plate with a piece of gum buried in a small pile of whipped cream for each team. Children put their hands behind their back or on the table and must get the gum with their mouth and run back to tag the next player. Change prepared plates for each child of course!

They love anything with water - I second the fill the bucket relay and the water balloons.

8. Chickysmom

I've seen this one done as well and it is a riot! They used the wet sponges to fill a container and the end of the kids up to a certain line from a bucket of water at the start of the kids.....too funny!

9. momm2four

momm2four <font color=CC0066>We all have those little "skele

Put up a badminton net. Divide the kids into two groups and put each on either side of the net. On the ground, on each side put an equal number of plastic balls (like the kind that are in ball pits). when you say go, each team starts throwing their balls over the net onto the other teams' side. After a designated time, say stop and see which team has the least balls on their side. They are declared the winner.

You could also use pairs of socks knotted together is you can't find that many plastic balls.

Lori P. :)

10. mermaidwannabe

Oh Yea! Those are great ideas! I saw a mother of one of the classmates today and she said she might have a parachute I could borrow for the kids to play with.

11. nsmith

nsmith Mouseketeer

My son's grade is very boy heavy, so we steer away from crafty games and try to let them blow off all that testosterone. Last year DS 7 and I found a water balloon sling shot at the $5 store. My husband dropped off a cooler of water balloons in the school yard in the morning (those suckers are heavy!!) and we spent a good 45 min flinging those balloons at everyone. We were the hit of the playground, every kid at every class party ended up trying to catch those balloons. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :yay:

12. curlyjbs

curlyjbs My heart belongs to the beach

This is a fun one:

Rat Race: Each child wears a rope belt with a rope "tail" velcroed to it. They have to run around and try to step on each others tail, pulling them off. No hands and the last child with a tail still attached wins! Lots of fun for that age!

~Connie

13. mrsbornkuntry

mrsbornkuntry <font color=FF6666>I'm worried about raccoons<br><

You could do a scavenger hunt: Find a leaf the size of your hand, etc. We always do that for outdoor birthday parties and the kids have alot of fun with it.

14. InstImpres

InstImpres DIS Veteran

Not my favorite but the kids love it....

The mummy wrap.. put children in small groups (usually 5-6). They pick a "wrapper". All the other children make a small circle standing back to back. The wrapper must than use an entire roll of toilet paper to wrap them. The object is to be quick but too quick will keep making the roll break. At the end the kids break out from the TP.

The other is donuts on a rope. Spreads out donuts on a string/rope. Have two holders (one at each end) students must eat the dout off without using their hands. Again, not my fav but loved by the children

15. luckey-lasvegas

luckey-lasvegas All our $$ is in IRA's - Ice Rink Activities

My favorite game for kids is touchdown. You get an object like a coin that is small enough to be concealed inside a childs hand. Make a playing field about 10' X 12' would probably be good. The teams stars at opposite ends of the field, 1 team is defense and 1 team is offense. The team that is offense chooses a person to carry the object in their hand. The rest of the team all pretend like they have it, so that the defense won't konw who is the actual carrier. When you blow the whistle both team run on to the field. The defense trys to pull the flags off the offensive players. If thier flag is pulled that player must stop and open thier hand to show whather they have the object or not. If the defense finds the carrier then they become the offensive team for the next series. If they do not and the carrier gets across the other team line, they score a touchdown, and get to keep the object for the next series. It's alot of fun and the kids must use alot of strategy to fake out the other team.

16. mermaidwannabe

Oh, I would love to find that sling shot for the water balloons. Any idea where I could find one?

The teacher wanted to play the doughnut on a stick game, but I didn't know what it was, so thanks for telling me!

Those are all fun ideas...I hope I can get Moms to help me. They seemed to sigh when I called them for the last party (Valentines Day).

17. mom2cookies

mom2cookies DIS Veteran

first of all, offer to let the next "sigher mom " to be in charge of the next class party.
    Second, check out Family Fun magazine. Disney sponsored so i guess it is ok to mention it. I find alot of great activities in there.

18. mermaidwannabe

Good idea mom2cookies! One Mom actually "jokingly" said that she was going to caller ID block my number. I am not a pushy person either. I very nicely ask if they would like to help out with whatever party I'm doing (and these are Moms that signed up in the beginning of the year on a party helper list). OY!!

I can't seem to find burlap sacks anywhere for the potato sack race. Maybe pillow cases would work. I'll try them out with my 7-year-old today.

19. sk!mom

sk!mom DIS Veteran

It's 100 degrees here already and DD's class party will also be at a park this week and then Field Day on Friday, so 88 sounds pretty good to me. :thumbsup2

I like the water balloon toss. Then I also divide them into two lines and have them toss balloons into a basket. The team that gets the most balloons in without popping wins.

20. snoopy5386

snoopy5386 DIS Veteran

Drip drip drop - like duck duck goose only with a foam ball or sponge soaked in water.

Sharks and minnows, cowboy tag, blob tag, google tag games and there are so many choices.

We played the pool noodle game today in PE class and that was lots of fun.

21. usnuzuloose

usnuzuloose Loosing Boo Boo

Dodge ball is a lot of fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.