OT--bought ebay cell phone -no charger

nephthys43 said:
all i know is that i read this guy's auctions and i smell scam. he works for a company who sells other people's item on ebay, yet he says everything is his or belonged to someone in his family. he states that the phone has been in storage for "a year and a half" and that it "works great". he then states that he's not responsible if it doesn't work. it just seems like a bait and switch to me.

Exactly! How does he know it 'works great'? that would make me think he has charged the phone and used it, recently, meaning he also has the charger. it's called error in omission, he is misrepresenting the item by not releasing all the details. and his failure to do so has caused, or will cause, additional monetary loss to the buyer because now she has to buy the charger elsewhere, if she can find it, and then has to test the phone. Point is, it was easy to assume he had the charger because he stated it to be in working order. Or else he should have said was in working order a year ago before placed in storage. He is not clear in his description of the phone.

rainy~daze said:
Exactly! How does he know it 'works great'? that would make me think he has charged the phone and used it, recently, meaning he also has the charger. it's called error in omission, he is misrepresenting the item by not releasing all the details. and his failure to do so has caused, or will cause, additional monetary loss to the buyer because now she has to buy the charger elsewhere, if she can find it, and then has to test the phone. Point is, it was easy to assume he had the charger because he stated it to be in working order. Or else he should have said was in working order a year ago before placed in storage. He is not clear in his description of the phone.

He could have had more than one phone of that type and charged it with a different charger. The picture showed a cell phone and that is what the buyer got, a cell phone.

I would of assumed it would come with a charger, I would give him the chance to refund you then if he wont I would file a claim with paypal..

I've seen old ones at CVS (they were on clearance last weekend), Walgreens and even Publix. Check the universal chargers - they have several kinds in the same package.

mom2my3kids said:
I would of assumed it would come with a charger, I would give him the chance to refund you then if he wont I would file a claim with paypal..

They could file a claim with Paypal, but they wouldn't win, based on what was offered in this auction. What would the claim be.."Paypal, I assumed it would have a charger". Assuming something on eBay can be costly. It's always best, if you don't see it, or it's not mentioned, to ask the seller. If it was delivered as shown and described, that's all that is supposed to happen. Feedback should be a positive, and the new owner can always resell on eBay, and if it makes her more comfortable, be sure to put without charger..that way someone just looking to replace their phone will be all set.

Looks like he has a side business of selling for others. So does my sister..however, she also sells for herself. I don't see anything that screams scam to me. Look at his feedback. Everyone else is very happy with what they got. Gee, all he did was sell just what he advertised. Perhaps before he's called a scam, he should be invited here, to defend himself..not that he did anything he needs to defend. He sold a phone..that's it. He didn't sell a charger, or a car charger, or headphones with it..just a phone.
What is the switch..that usually refers to someone advertising one item, and not having it and trying to get you to buy something more expensive.

nephthys43 said:
all i know is that i read this guy's auctions and i smell scam. he works for a company who sells other people's item on ebay, yet he says everything is his or belonged to someone in his family. he states that the phone has been in storage for "a year and a half" and that it "works great". he then states that he's not responsible if it doesn't work. it just seems like a bait and switch to me.

nephthys43 said:

I agree that the seller omitted some very important info (and I've been buying and selling on Ebay since 1998 myself). I would give him an opportunity to refund the money, and if he declines, I would file a claim with Paypal. Make sure you use delivery confirmation if you return the phone--he sounds like a scammer to me too.

GOOD sellers include all pertinent info, not just the info that makes their product sound good. For instance, a used item of clothing with stains should have a description that says more than "used condition;" the description should state there are stains. A cell phone without a charger should state "charger not included."

PrincessKitty1 said:
I would file a claim with Paypal. Make sure you use delivery confirmation if you return the phone--he sounds like a scammer to me too.
I just don't get it..what would the claim be based on? Paypal doesn't do chargebacks based on what the buyer "thinks" should have been sold with the item. I'm feeling very dense right now. I just can't see what would make Paypal give back the money. He advertised a phone. I looked at the auction. It looks to me, like it's just a phone.
Since when, when you sell items on eBay, do you have to mention what doesn't come with the item? I sold a Fisher Price doll house..should I have said it didn't come with the furniture? It was empty..but if you had bought it new, it would have had the furniture. I sold a magazine cover..I never actually said it didn't come with the rest of magazine..should I have? I said it was a cover, I figured people understood I was selling a cover.
I'm just lost with this reasoning :confused3 .
Certainly will make me be more careful when selling, in case I get someone who wants to do a chargeback on what I wasn't selling. If this guy gives her back her money, good for him..but I just can't see why he should.

DMRick said:
Certainly will make me be more careful when selling, in case I get someone who wants to do a chargeback on what I wasn't selling. If this guy gives her back her money, good for him..but I just can't see why he should.

Because you can't use a phone, or even check that it works, without a charger. Because phones generally come with chargers. Because the guy knew he didn't have a charger, but didn't bother mentioning it in his auction. Lousy seller (deserving of neg IMO) if he doesn't refund the buyer's $$.

PrincessKitty1 said:
Because you can't use a phone, or even check that it works, without a charger. Because phones generally come with chargers. Because the guy knew he didn't have a charger, but didn't bother mentioning it in his auction. Lousy seller (deserving of neg IMO) if he doesn't refund the buyer's $$.

...and you can't use an electronic toy without batteries, nor can you even check if it works without batteries. A lot of toys come with batteries these days. Does that mean that a buyer should get his money refunded because the seller didn't disclose that the electronic toy didn't include batteries? Give me a break.

summerrluvv said:
Yes the seller said he forgot to say it wasn't included But it wasn't listed on the auction so why would you assume it was included?

Agreed, while it does extremely SUCK that the charger wasn't included in the listing, if the picture never showed a charger and the listing never said a charger than it was all an assumption that a charger was included. I sold an old motorola before... In the picture, title and description I included that it came with a charger.

The omition was an overlook on the sellers part, but by no means was the item not as described "if" the Picture, Title, and description never mentioned a charger.

I would hope that a person filing a claim like this would get shot down... for the sake of all us sellers who list what is in our items.

I would contact the buyer and see if he/she would be so kind as to let you return the item (shipping at Your expense). If not you will have to search else where for a charger... What type is it by chance?

PrincessKitty1 said:

But that is like saying I bought a Mixer on eBay and by gosh... it didn't come with a Mixing bowl... Or I bought a PS2 for $160.00 and it only came with 1 controller.. How am I going to play with my friend with only 1 controller, I assumed for that price that it would at least come with 2 controllers?

He was under no obligation to included what it DIDN'T come with... or else the listing would be 100 pages long.

He does not deserve a negative for not shipping something that he was not selling.... He sold a PHONE not a PHONE and a CHARGER... The listing was for a PHONE and the OP got a PHONE.

BTW you can plug the phone in and activate it, make a call, receive a call check out the functions... Turn it off and then ship it ALL while having the battery run out of juice BEFORE it makes it into the buyers hands.

DMRick said:
They could file a claim with Paypal, but they wouldn't win, based on what was offered in this auction. What would the claim be.."Paypal, I assumed it would have a charger". Assuming something on eBay can be costly. It's always best, if you don't see it, or it's not mentioned, to ask the seller. If it was delivered as shown and described, that's all that is supposed to happen. Feedback should be a positive, and the new owner can always resell on eBay, and if it makes her more comfortable, be sure to put without charger..that way someone just looking to replace their phone will be all set.

You know a cell phone comes with a charger, if he did not have the charger he should of made a point to mention it in his auction. I personally would of double checked before I bid on it, I have not seen the auction listing so I don't know the exact details. But a honest seller would of stated that.

DMRick said:
I just don't get it..what would the claim be based on? Paypal doesn't do chargebacks based on what the buyer "thinks" should have been sold with the item. I'm feeling very dense right now. I just can't see what would make Paypal give back the money. He advertised a phone. I looked at the auction. It looks to me, like it's just a phone.
Since when, when you sell items on eBay, do you have to mention what doesn't come with the item? I sold a Fisher Price doll house..should I have said it didn't come with the furniture? It was empty..but if you had bought it new, it would have had the furniture. I sold a magazine cover..I never actually said it didn't come with the rest of magazine..should I have? I said it was a cover, I figured people understood I was selling a cover.
I'm just lost with this reasoning :confused3 .

But when you purchase a cell phone they come with a charger. When I bought my daughter a doll house years ago it didn't come with furniture. Its a bargain if you get a doll house with furniture :)

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, if that's ok. If someone negged me for this, I would of course neg back..and I would hope others looking to buy from me, would read the neg, and see the buyer was complaining about something I didn't have for sale.

PrincessKitty1 said:

mom2my3kids said:
But when you purchase a cell phone they come with a charger. When I bought my daughter a doll house years ago it didn't come
The house did come with furniture. I made more money selling it apart from the house.
This was not a retail sale on eBay..it was a used item. If someone was selling sneakers, and they didn't show laces, I would expect to get the sneakers without laces...even if they originally came with them.
The new owner was thrilled, if I remember right. They had furniture, but the house was cracked.

mom2my3kids said:
But a honest seller would of stated that.
I don't agree with this. He was selling what he had. He wasn't Sears, just someone selling a used item. He stated what he had..it' sup to the buyer to make sure what they need was there. If she had a phone like this before with a charger, and the phone died, all she would have needed was the phone. The charger might have brought more money than she paid also. She got it pretty cheap..and maybe because other's realized it didn't have a charger and that wouldn't work for them.
edited to add:

The OP got this phone for ~$20, which is $18 less than another one went for she bid on, and $26 less than a thirdr one..so it looks like cell phones sell for less without the charger :confused3 .

DMRick said:
I don't agree with this. He was selling what he had. He wasn't Sears, just someone selling a used item. He stated what he had..it' sup to the buyer to make sure what they need was there. If she had a phone like this before with a charger, and the phone died, all she would have needed was the phone. The charger might have brought more money than she paid also. She got it pretty cheap..and maybe because other's realized it didn't have a charger and that wouldn't work for them.
edited to add:

The OP got this phone for ~$20, which is $18 less than another one went for she bid on, and $26 less than a thirdr one..so it looks like cell phones sell for less without the charger :confused3 .

We will just have to agree to disagree because I personally feel a honest seller who was had lots of experience on ebay would of stated no charger comes with this phone. Because most people would assume a used cell phone someone was selling would come with one even if he did not state it. Like I said I being a experienced buyer and seller would of asked and if I was selling it would of stated it did not come with a charger, just so no misunderstanding would of come of it. I feel she has a good case with paypay.. But who knows this is just me.. :confused3

As many have said the seller listed a phone...nothing more. There are several pictures, none show a charger, why would someone assume a charger was included.

I had a similar issue recently where I was selling some figurines that had come with a pin, lithograph, COA, trading cards, etc. Some of the figurines I listed with all of the above, some where just the figurine with just the COA. I always listed exactly what was included. After numerous emails regarding what wasn't included I ended up going back and writing a statement on each item that ONLY the items listed where included, if it didn't say, pin, litho, card etc, then it wasn't included. Some buyers were upset the items weren't included and told me they should be. Since when does the buyer tell the seller what should be included in their auction :confused:

Long story short...read descriptions very carefully, ask questions early enough for the seller to respond, bid wisely ;)

nephthys43 said:

Strike 2. lol

This is inaccurate information once again. I sell for others, too, and it's not a scam to sell for others this way. He made disclosures for selling "as is."

Yes, read descriptions very carefully, ask questions early enough for the seller to respond, bid wisely! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter