Ordering New Magic Bands

rubyeskimo

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. So I know that Disney have stopped complimentary magic bands going forwards and seem to have stopped UK visitors from ordering them in advance completely. However, I did a bit of searching and used my VPN set to the US to access MDE, and it took me through to the page where I can order a magic band supposedly for pick up at the hotel for my trip next year. Has anyone else in the UK managed to use this trick successfully?

I'm just a little wary about ordering and then it not being at the hotel for pick up when they realise I'm actually coming from the UK. I would re-use the ones we already have but the newest one will be 3 years old by then and not sure whether the battery will still be working or not and I don't want to have to constantly use my phone for things.

I believe that the only thing the battery is needed for is for long-range RFID, which amounts to automatic onride photos on a handful of attractions, and that the same thing can be achieved now by allowing the mobile app to use your phone's bluetooth. For all other functionality, short-range RFID is used and that's always active, no battery needed, it's exactly the same as getting a plastic key card instead - and to that end I believe you can still request one of those at check-in anyway.

I believe that the only thing the battery is needed for is for long-range RFID, which amounts to automatic onride photos on a handful of attractions, and that the same thing can be achieved now by allowing the mobile app to use your phone's bluetooth. For all other functionality, short-range RFID is used and that's always active, no battery needed, it's exactly the same as getting a plastic key card instead - and to that end I believe you can still request one of those at check-in anyway.

Thanks, I had read the things about the different RFID but it wasn't 100% clear on what the difference was, so your explanation makes a lot more sense! Think I might re-use an old one but DH keeps saying he want's a new one so we'll wait and see!

Yes, by all means, a MB can be a goal in itself! But no need to worry unduly about losing functionality on an old one when the battery runs out.

And unless you want a specific design that they offer via pre-purchase or with a discount, you can probably pick one up in the hotel shop when you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter