Ordering Kids' Meals

mom0299

DIS Veteran
Can someone over age 9 order a Kids' Meal at a TS restaurant (not a buffet) if we are NOT on the DDP?

Can two people share one meal at a TS if we're not on the DDP?

I ask because DD and I do not eat a lot and Disney portions are so large.

My dad had a bariatric surgery and he has a card he can show restaurants to allow him to have a kids meal. And most of the counter places don't care what you order ;) But I'm not sure about a sit down restaurant...

Just back and we were not on DDP this trip.

It was me, DH, our daughters 14 and 10 and our 14 year old's BFF. My 10 year old and the BFF are picky/light eaters, which is why we didn't do the DDP this time.

We shared meals at every restaurant except of course character meals since they charge per person for those. Another strategy that worked great for us was ordering appetizers or salads instead of full meals.

We only tried to use the kids menu for the BFF once and they would not do it. We were at Maya Grill at Coronado Springs and there was literally nothing on the menu that she would eat. All she wanted was a soft chicken taco, which was on the kids menu. The waiter was polite but said he couldn't do it. He ended up putting through an order of steak tacos but subbed in chicken and it cost $25. I was kinda annoyed. it came with 4 tacos, rice and beans. All she ate was 2 tacos from the plate.

I don't get why they have such an issue with this. If an adult orders a child's meal, it's not like they're going to get an adult portion. It's still going to be a smaller portion, KWIM? DH is super picky and most likely will be ordering child's menu items on our trip. Luckily we have 2 children so we can "pretend" it's for them and just say that we're going to share what we order so there's no issue.

We have been to Disney a couple of times since our daughter turned 10. Maybe it just depends on the restaurant, but we have never had a problem ordering her something off the kids menu. On our last trip at California Grill our friend's son who is 13 ordered a junior mac n cheese meal for $16. They just doubled the kids menu price. As long as you are paying out of pocket and not at a buffet or family meal it shouldn't matter.

Would it matter if you were on the dining plan? It seems like it would be to the restaurant's benefit, since a 10 year old has paid for an adult dining plan, but is only getting a cheaper kid's meal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter