$$ or gift for graduation

hinodis

DIS Veteran
My DS's girl friend of 4 months is graduating. We have been invited to her party. I am not sure if I should give her money, if so, how much? Or would it better to just buy her a gift, again, what to buy. This is new to me. I have never been in this situation. I do really like her. He, of course, is madly in love:love:

Although I think grads really like to get $ or GC's and often needed to go off to college or set up for life, IMO I wouldn't go that route with DS"s girlfriend.

Does your DS have any ideas? (if like most guys, he doesn't :rotfl: )
Some ideas: a nice picture frame suitable for a grad. picture, a crystal trinket box, freshwater pearl earrings or some sort of silver jewelry, if she is going to college--a sweatshirt for new school.

I hope and I know you will get lots of ideas here! :goodvibes

In my opinion, unless you know her really well and know what she wants/needs, I think the best graduation gift is always cash (if graduating from high school, for college or stuff needed for college & if graduating from college, for life or stuff needed for profession).

I'm no longer with the guy I was dating when I graduationed, but he got me a nice necklace from the college I was planning to attend. Funny that I only dated him a few months and 10 years later I still remember and have the necklace. I thought it was a really special reminder of what was to come.

I say money for college, if she's going. Unless you can find out something you know she wants for her dorm. Cash is the easiest thing as you know it won't be the wrong color, wrong size..... I'd say $30, or maybe $40. High school graduation is a big deal. And if she's going to college, she'll need a lot of money...lol! You could even give it to her as a gift card for Target or Bed Bath n Beyond, or maybe the book store for the college she'll be going to for her books.

I honestly don't like cash gifts. I don't like giving them and I don't like receiving them. Relationships shouldn't be about commerce. I think with your DS's girlfriend I would especially take the thoughtful route. If she's going to college, maybe something she could use there. Maybe a gift certificate for a day of pampering (or just a single service) at a day spa. Or maybe something sort of sentimental -- a nice sweatshirt from her high school (if they have them) and one from the college she'll be attending (if she's going).

In this case, I'd give a gift or a gift card to someplace like Chili's or Olive Garden. I wouldn't give cash.

Cash. I think that's the gift graduates really like. I'm sure for girls half the fun is going to the store to pick out things for their dorm. Plus they can use the money to get a laptop or something like that.

Graduations are the only time I give cash as a gift. It is what they really need, so I figure why not. I don't really like to give gift cards. I kind of feel like I am saying, "Here's some money, but you have to buy what I tell you to!"

I give $50 for High School and $100 for college.

Is your DS buying her a gift also ? In this situation I wouldn't give cash. I would buy her a $20-30 gift. You could give a photo album, Bath and Body gift card or something along those lines. If I had a relative graduating I would give cash, but not to my DS girlfriend.

cash. I remember very few gifts from my graduations.. but I do remember the cash.

I do have a ring my mother in law gave me when I got my B.S., but I had been married to her son for about 8 years by then. SO, that is a bit different.

It sounds weird but my sister and I loved the gift- if you don't want to give cash, and she's going to college, buy her a fleece or sweatshirt throw blanket with her school's name or mascot on it.

Mine is 5 years old and still looks great and it's perfect for picnics, sporting events and whatnot for years to come.

My sister's is newer of course and she uses it as an extra blanket on her bed in her dorm room. She can frequently be found cuddled up in it while studying too.

Just another idea if you wanted something memorable, not too expensive, and useful.

Forevryoung - my sister did the same thing for my nephews (on my husband's side). She felt like she should send a little something since both sides of the family get together a few times a year. She got them each a $25 gift cert to the campus store at the college they had chosen. Both used them to get a t-shirt with their college name on it and they were thrilled with the gift.

Well-

We give cash. $50 for high school & $100 for college. But we give these sorts of gifts to relatives. My DS is only 6 so I'm not buying girl friend gifts yet....

I do like the school polar fleece blanket idea. My whole family wraps up in these blankets and we love them! If she is in the south, you can do them with just one layer of polarfleece and whip stitch the sides.

I think $25 and a nice card is OK. I think gas cards, or other popular stores are fine too.

I'm a firm believer in cash as a high school graduation gift for all of the reasons already listed here. I just gave money to DD's BF's little brother. I gave her cousin a laundry basket with detergent, dryer sheets, stain stick, clorox stick, two big towels, and a check (the basket idea came from somebody here on the Dis, and she loved it! :thumbsup2 ).

BUT, in your circumstances, I would give a gift. I also agree with the fleece blanket or school sweatshirt ideas. Jewelry is a little harder since people have such different tastes. The nice picture frame is a good idea. If you can find out what perfume she really likes, that's an idea too.

From someone who just graduated college last year and moved across the country I say cash! Grads are strapped and they need a boost to help them get out in the real world. If not cash, maybe a practical gift card to Target, Walmart, Bed, Bath and Beyond or Lowes.

I always give cash for a graduation gift. That seems to be what the young people would prefer. I gave $50 for HS and $100 for college for family members and about $30 from HS for friends. My nephews and niece used all their graduation money to purchase a laptop computer. This was very helpful, one less thing the parents had to purchase. I also like the gift card idea from the college they will be attending.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I love them all. I remember when DS graduated last year he appreciated both the cahs and gifts. She will not be living in a dorm. She will be living at home and going to her local college in town. That makes it easy for me to run over to the campus bookstore and get her a shirt or blanket. I like that idea. She doesn't have a Mom so I was wondering should I get her something a little more personal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter