Options for Older Child

I have a friend who has resisted for years (in her 30's) getting her own wheelchair. After a horrible experience at an airport, her husband convienced her that they should get a light weight folding electric wheelchair. She can now take her daughter to the zoo, where before she did not have the stamina to do so. If you are willing to invest in such a thing, it could help your daughter in more then just a disney trip, but open up more experiences in her daily life.

I’m on the other side of the fence because I’ve known SINCE I WAS 7 that a wheelchair (either powered or a custom manual) would’ve been beneficial to me to use part time because of my one bad leg and the resulting stamina issues.

My mom resisted that idea for the longest time and every time I’d go to ask her, I would get nervous and back down.

When I became an adult and could FINALLY make my own decisions, I got enough courage to talk to her about it. I told her that since I can’t drive a car, I’d need a way of getting around on my own and asked her if I cou get a mobility device to help me. She agreed and now I got a portable powerchair with my sights set on either a Quantum or Permie when we move to Florida. (I’m buying from a guy who sells used/nearly new powerchairs on YouTube for less than retail, so the price ain’t gonna be insane.)

I think we have her convinced to use a small wheelchair! Thank you all for the great suggestions:) Now to find a small wheelchair for rent.
Orlando Medical Rentals has the most variety of small wheelchairs.
She may also be more willing to use it if she can decorate it to suit her.
We decorated my daughter’s personal wheelchair, but even with a rental chair, there are quite a things you/she could do to ‘bling’ it up.
I‘ve seen chairs decorated with ribbons, silk flowers, leis, small flags, battery operated lights. As long as you can attach with things that do no harm, like zip ties or Command adhesive, you can decorate.
My daughter has used a wheelchair since she was 3 and she gets noticed most because her wheelchair is cool, not just because she’s using a wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter