Optimal UY?

Senor_Jorge

Earning My Ears
Reading this forum can be like drinking from the firehose of knowledge for Disney/DVC! I apologize if my question has been covered else where.

My wife and I have been looking at our needs, and crunching numbers.

Needs: We'd like the ability to spend 7-10 days at BLT annually. We could probably live with a studio since it's just the two of us, but would likely select a 1 BR (Lake View). We'd also like to have the points available for a 2 BR from time to time for friends and family that may join us at BLT or occasional trips to Disney in California. Traditionally we visit the week of Dec. 9th. With that in mind we are looking at initially purchasing 250-300 points and evaluating whether or not we need to add additional points later.

My first question is, which UY month is optimal for our needs based on your experience and why? Looking at current contracts available on the resale market I'm seeing a lot of dates in February. Will that change over the course of the year or is that distribution based on when owners purchased, and won't change if, or until, a contract doesn't make it through ROFR and the points are resold?

Thanks for all of the information that has already been provided as well as everything I'm sure that I'll learn between now and our purchase.

You mention that December 9th is traditionally your travel week to WDW. Based on other threads I've read, December would then be your optimal UY.

However... If in a non-traditional UY you might travel in October or November, then October or November might be optimal.

Again, from what I read (and not from practical experience since I'm not yet a DVC owner), you want your UY to be immediately before your traditional travel time as this will give you the most flexibility if you need to cancel or change the reservation.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm stating anything incorrectly!

Thanks,
Mav

Nah, it is just a matter of knowing it is there & what exactly to search for!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

You mention that December 9th is traditionally your travel week to WDW. Based on other threads I've read, December would then be your optimal UY.

However... If in a non-traditional UY you might travel in October or November, then October or November might be optimal.

Again, from what I read (and not from practical experience since I'm not yet a DVC owner), you want your UY to be immediately before your traditional travel time as this will give you the most flexibility if you need to cancel or change the reservation.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm stating anything incorrectly!

Thanks,
Mav

Just an FYI...

There are no January, May, July or November use years in the DVC system.

For the OP and October or December use year would probably be optimal.

The UY for contracts does not change. DVC assigns the points to the UY's and sells them that way.

For BLT, a big bulk of the points were assigned to February and that is why you probably see more of those than the others since when it first went for sale, that was the one they were selling to new buyers.

As already mentioned, an Oct or Dec UY would work well with your time of travel. When you have a UY that falls right before your typical time of travel, if you have, it gives you the most flexibility in case you have to cancel or change a trip.

No one UY will be optimal for every time of the year, so if you know there is a time you would absolutely never travel, then try to make those months the end of the UY.

Good luck!

My beginners opinion is to look for the bad options. I would suggest not having February or March, and April would be bad if you ever push your travel to January. This gives you several options to look for while you are looking at the resale listings.

Reading this forum can be like drinking from the firehose of knowledge for Disney/DVC! I apologize if my question has been covered else where.

My wife and I have been looking at our needs, and crunching numbers.

Needs: We'd like the ability to spend 7-10 days at BLT annually. We could probably live with a studio since it's just the two of us, but would likely select a 1 BR (Lake View). We'd also like to have the points available for a 2 BR from time to time for friends and family that may join us at BLT or occasional trips to Disney in California. Traditionally we visit the week of Dec. 9th. With that in mind we are looking at initially purchasing 250-300 points and evaluating whether or not we need to add additional points later.

My first question is, which UY month is optimal for our needs based on your experience and why? Looking at current contracts available on the resale market I'm seeing a lot of dates in February. Will that change over the course of the year or is that distribution based on when owners purchased, and won't change if, or until, a contract doesn't make it through ROFR and the points are resold?

Thanks for all of the information that has already been provided as well as everything I'm sure that I'll learn between now and our purchase.

If you plan to visit DL/CA, you may want to buy some points at VGC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter