Opinions, please!! =)

PalmettoPrincess

DIS Veteran
I'm starting to think about where I would like to eat on my next trip. I would like to get some "Dis" opinions about some of them::

1. Tell me about Mara for breakfast. Is it good, or should we pass?
  2. Which two CS restaurants should we eat at DHS--not Pizza Planet. I'm thinking we're going to pass on TS here and just do CS.
  3. Yak & Yeti vs. Tusker House? I think I'd rather do Y&Y since it's not a buffet, but I don't know... if Tusker House has better food, then...........??
  4. What are 2 good CS restaurants not in the parks? I think one day we'll be in DTD, so I'm thinking EoS as we'll be doing WPE later on. I'd kinda like to see the other resorts, so one at a hotel would be good
  5. We'd like to do a Signature Dining Experience... Tell me about Jiko vs. Cali Grill vs. Narcoossee's vs. others??

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Please and thank you!

I'm starting to think about where I would like to eat on my next trip. I would like to get some "Dis" opinions about some of them::

1. Tell me about Mara for breakfast.Is it good, or should we pass?It is general food court stuff. It's not bad, just more of the same. Good if you want to grab something quick
  2. Which two CS restaurants should we eat at DHS--not Pizza Planet. I'm thinking we're going to pass on TS here and just do CS. We usually do Pizza Planet - sorry or Rosie's basically just your run-of-the-mill CS
  3. Yak & Yeti vs. Tusker House? I think I'd rather do Y&Y since it's not a buffet, but I don't know... if Tusker House has better food, then...........?? For dinner we like them about the same. We love TH breakfast!
  4. What are 2 good CS restaurants not in the parks? I think one day we'll be in DTD, so I'm thinking EoS as we'll be doing WPE later on. I'd kinda like to see the other resorts, so one at a hotel would be good Sorry we've only ever eaten DTD CS at WPE
  5. We'd like to do a Signature Dining Experience... Tell me about Jiko vs. Cali Grill vs. Narcoossee's vs. others?? Cali Grill was nice, We really didn't think Jiko or Narcoosee's were worth 2 TS credits. Our favorite signature restaurant is Yachtman's Steakhouse at the Yacht Club!

2. Which two CS restaurants should we eat at DHS--not Pizza Planet. I'm thinking we're going to pass on TS here and just do CS.
  3. Yak & Yeti vs. Tusker House? I think I'd rather do Y&Y since it's not a buffet, but I don't know... if Tusker House has better food, then...........??
  4. What are 2 good CS restaurants not in the parks? I think one day we'll be in DTD, so I'm thinking EoS as we'll be doing WPE later on. I'd kinda like to see the other resorts, so one at a hotel would be good
  5. We'd like to do a Signature Dining Experience... Tell me about Jiko vs. Cali Grill vs. Narcoossee's vs. others??

2 - Our kids liked Pizza planet - not sure why you're eliminating it, but I didnt eat at any other cs at DHS
3 - Ate at both last year Tusker buffet was ok (not bad, but nothing memorable) - Yak & Yeti was really good.
5 - Signature - Yachtsman last year was VERY good - also was fine with our 3 kids in a fancy restaurant. We also really liked the food and show at both the Spirt of Aloha at Poly and the Backyard BBQ.

2 - Our kids liked Pizza planet - not sure why you're eliminating it, but I didnt eat at any other cs at DHS
3 - Ate at both last year Tusker buffet was ok (not bad, but nothing memorable) - Yak & Yeti was really good.
5 - Signature - Yachtsman last year was VERY good - also was fine with our 3 kids in a fancy restaurant. We also really liked the food and show at both the Spirt of Aloha at Poly and the Backyard BBQ.

Sorry to hijack...

Could you tell me about the BBQ? What did they serve? Is it buffet or family style?

Sorry to hijack...

Could you tell me about the BBQ? What did they serve? Is it buffet or family style?

Buffet - Ribs, BBQ chicken, burgers, dogs, corn, baked beans, salad. Ribs were REALLY good. Beer was included, as well as unlimited ice cream bars, so both parents and kids were thrilled - these were the same as the basic ice cream choices from the park vendors (mickeys, fruit bars).

Show - country type show, but fun, with dancing. After Characters came they danced with the kids for a long time.

It really was alot of family fun. A big highlight of our last trip. We planned in on a MK emh day, so we jsut boated back to MK and spent the night over there.

1. When we stayed at AKL we found the Mara to be fine for breakfast. Nothing great, nothing bad...very clean...typical breakfast things.
2. We don't love CS at DHS...we actually schedule a lunch at either 50's or Sci-Fi. But if we have to grab a CS we always go the the area that is to the left of TOT and RnR (sorry the name escapes me). We go there not so much for the quality of the food but for the variety of options..typical CS stuff.
3. We have only eaten breakfast at Tusker House (and loved it :lovestruc). If I had to choose for between the 2 for lunch or dinner, I would choose Yak & Yeti.
4. CS out of the parks: We love EoS but WPE in DTD is our favorite. We also love Captain Cooks @ the Poly.
4. We have never had the pleasure of a signature dining experience. ;)

I actually LOVED Mara's bfast. Yummy bfast pizza was my fave :)
The CS at HS is not good. Pizza Planet is the only one we like, but really as long as you don't eat at ABC you'll be fine. HS has my fave TS restaurants though. Sci fi and 50s prime time r both great IMO.
LOVE yak and yeti. So yummy. go w that :)
I really like WPE and it is very differnet from the regular WP, but I hear you can't go wrong w/ EofS. I've also wanted to try the CS by Raglan Road.
We loved Jiko- the filet w/ mac and cheese is so differnet and delicious. But Cali grill has always been my fave restaurant at disney. Can't beat the view and I love the wine and goat cheese ravioli!

For our DS day, we go to a resort for our counter service meal. We have tried them all but one at the Studios and none of them are good at all in our opinion. The only one we have NOT done at the Studios is Pizza Planet--we don't do pizza at Disney (or in Florida for that matter).

1. It's just your standard quick service food court food. Basic and average.

[*]Which two CS restaurants should we eat at DHS--not Pizza Planet. I'm thinking we're going to pass on TS here and just do CS.

This is the one park I found with some offensive counter service food. I set my barometer at a burger. If they make a burger seem blah, I would think the rest of the offerings aren't much better. My most recent experience at ABC Commissary reminded me why I avoid it. I find the non-burger offerings to be less offensive sometimes. Sandwiches at Starring Rolls or Backlot Express.

FYI, I wouldn't have picked ABC Commissary if I weren't with a group of people who decided to go there to rate the food.

[*]Yak & Yeti vs. Tusker House? I think I'd rather do Y&Y since it's not a buffet, but I don't know... if Tusker House has better food, then...........??

I haven't been to Tusker House since it changed over to the buffet, but I've heard it compared favorably to Boma, which I like. I haven't tried Yak and Yeti either, but it's on my radar.

[*]What are 2 good CS restaurants not in the parks? I think one day we'll be in DTD, so I'm thinking EoS as we'll be doing WPE later on. I'd kinda like to see the other resorts, so one at a hotel would be good

Those two choices at Downtown Disney are both good ones. It's unfortunate that resorts above the Moderate level suffer in any quick service choices. You're not going to find anything exciting in counter/quick service at the Deluxe resorts. You'd be better off with the Downtown Disney choices or at the Value or Moderate food courts. (With a slight edge in favor of the Moderates.)

[*]We'd like to do a Signature Dining Experience... Tell me about Jiko vs. Cali Grill vs. Narcoossee's vs. others??

It would help for you to check out the menus. There's a link that goes to the Dining section of the parent website to the DIS, wdwinfo.com. Here's a direct link to the menus search tool. I tend to favor California Grill and Jiko.

Thanks for the opinions, guys! I chose not to eat at Pizza Planet because we ate there last time, and we'd like to try new things this trip (for the most part). Maybe I can rearrange some things so we can do a TS at DHS. I don't think the DBF would want to do 50's PT bc he wouldn't want people telling him to eat his veggies! Sigh. We did Sci-Fi last time too. H&V doesn't interest me all that much, so that leaves Mama Melrose?

Hmmm, maybe we'll make a quick trip to DTD on the day we visit resorts. How is Cookes of Dublin?

Okay, I think I got the Signature Dining choice picked....... Cali Grill (for now!)

I have looked at the menus, but that won't mean the food is good! LOL!

For our DS day, we go to a resort for our counter service meal. We have tried them all but one at the Studios and none of them are good at all in our opinion. The only one we have NOT done at the Studios is Pizza Planet--we don't do pizza at Disney (or in Florida for that matter).

I had a salad last year there that was fine. I'm from NY, so I understand it is inferior pizza, but the kids liked having it - it was a nice change for them from other things we ate during the trip. They also enjoy school pizza, so they are too young to have developed requirements for pizza.

Thanks for the opinions, guys! I chose not to eat at Pizza Planet because we ate there last time, and we'd like to try new things this trip (for the most part). Maybe I can rearrange some things so we can do a TS at DHS. I don't think the DBF would want to do 50's PT bc he wouldn't want people telling him to eat his veggies! Sigh. We did Sci-Fi last time too. H&V doesn't interest me all that much, so that leaves Mama Melrose?

Hmmm, maybe we'll make a quick trip to DTD on the day we visit resorts. How is Cookes of Dublin?

Okay, I think I got the Signature Dining choice picked....... Cali Grill (for now!)

I have looked at the menus, but that won't mean the food is good! LOL!

You could boat from HS over to the Beach Club (I think it takes about 10 minutes) and have lunch here (which gets very good reviews on these boards). Then return to HS or head over to Epcot if you have hopperes (walk or boat) - very close.

1. Mara is just fine for breakfast. It is a quick service spot so I'd only plan on going there if you are staying at AKL. It is not something I would go out of my way to go to. If you are not staying at AKL and would like to eat there, Boma is great!
2. CS at HS is limited. I LOVE 50s Prime Time Cafe and would highly recommend eating there. It is TS but it is worth it.
3. I've only eaten at Flame Tree & Pizzafari at AK and I prefer Flame Tree.
4. CS at DTD - Definitely Wolfgang Pucks in the Marketplace side!! And I love Earl of Sandwich too! As for the hotels, I really like Cap'n Cooks at the Poly and you are on the monorail so you can quickly go to MK/Poly or walk from the TTC to the Poly.
5. I have kids - no signature restaurant experience.....yet :lmao:

1. Mara is decent for breakfast. It was comparable to Roaring Fork at WL. Both are better than Captain Cooks at the Polynesian. Of the three, Mara has the best seating.

2. The only CS we've eaten at DHS is Pizza Planet.

3. No comment. I've only had Yak & Yeti CS.

4. No comment. We haven't eaten much CS out of the parks.

5. We've eaten at several signature restaurants. Of the ones that you've mentioned, I'd go with California Grill followed by Jiko. They are both fantastic, but Cali Grill is tops for us. (We've never eaten at Narcoossee's, though.) Artist Point and the Brown Derby are also very good.

Tell me about Mara for breakfast. Is it good, or should we pass? We ate breakfast here when we stayed at the AKL and were not impressed

Which two CS restaurants should we eat at DHS--not Pizza Planet. I'm thinking we're going to pass on TS here and just do CS. There is a new BBQ place close to the TOT that has great hot dogs and the brisket looked wonderful

What are 2 good CS restaurants not in the parks? I think one day we'll be in DTD, so I'm thinking EoS as we'll be doing WPE later on. I'd kinda like to see the other resorts, so one at a hotel would be good I love Capt Cooks and then you can tour the Poly and get off at the GF and tour that too and WPE in DTD is fantastic!

We'd like to do a Signature Dining Experience... Tell me about Jiko vs. Cali Grill vs. Narcoossee's vs. others?? We did Jiko in Nov 09 and were not impressed because we had loved it so much the year before and it was not as good this year. Cali Grill is to die for and the atmosphere is wonderful but the winner for us is Flying Fish, close runner up is Citricos

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter