Opinions please, about SSR

lvdis

love disney
Hi,

I would really like to know what you think about SSR, if you've stayed there before. If we decide to rent some DVC points, we would be staying in a studio.

I already have a king-bed room reserved at CSR for our 25th anniversary in October (it's just my husband and me). We've already stayed there twice and loved it, but I've been wondering if we should try something new. I was considering POFQ, but ended up choosing CSR. I'm saving POFQ for when our kids are with us, since my daughter wants to try it out!

Well, today I realized I could rent points from a DVC owner and actually spend just a little bit more (about $60) to go to SSR. I haven't ran it by my husband yet, but usually he just leaves it up to me anyway! We want to spend more time at the resort and DTD this trip. So what do you think? Keep CSR or try out a studio at SSR? Thanks!!

I stayed there once under the 4/3 deal with two friends. We were cramped in the studio, but with the two of you, you will appreciate it. Not much room on the balcony (we took turns) but we had a third floor room in Springs facing the lake. Breathtaking at night.

I didn't care much for the food court options, (I stay at POR, so their food is much better), but the Turf Club was fabulous. Loved the location near DTD; we walked over a few times and had breakfast at WPE and EOS.

Buses were pretty good; Springs was the last stop and very crowded, because that was the stop where THV deboarded their bus and got onto ours.

I would definately look at staying at one of the other sections, if you plan on using the buses more frequently.

Zero entry pool was great to have and the Spa is the best on property.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

We stayed at SSR in April for the first time. We were pleasantly surprised. I love the little community feel. For $60 more, I would go Deluxe Studio Villa :goodvibes

We have stayed at SSR 5 times and one additional time at the THV at SSR.

It's a very nice resort. The villas are great for a couple. My husband and I love having the sofa because the rooms are so spacious. The deal breaker for us is having a balcony. We spend a great deal of time at the resorts and we enjoy sitting out on our balcony with a cocktail and reading our books in the evening.

We have stayed in all sections except Carousel and we have walked to/from DTD from every section. It's a really nice walk.

The spa at SSR if very nice and it's really convenient to be able to walk to/from treatments. The quiet pools here are very nice for adults as we've never found them to be very crowded. The CS, Artists Pallette, has some tasty and unique choices and the TS, Turf Club, is one of the hidden gems at WDW.

The bus route is Grandstand, Carousel, Paddock, Congress Park and then Springs. Congress Park is the closest to DTD. Springs is the closest to the main pool, spa, restaurant area. The boat dock to DTD is in Springs. Paddock is opening it's new themed pool, counter service area, next month. My husband and I used to enjoy Paddock because it was so quiet but I have a feeling that the new pool may change that so for 2 adults, I would probably request Congress Park.

I would say it depends on when you are going. If you will be going later this year, one the renovated paddock pool is completed, that should be a huge advantage. It will be adding a second counter service at the pool, which will help to cut out the need to trek to the main building. That was my biggest concern when we stayed there. Getting to the main building for the CS, TS, main pool, spa, etc isn't the easiest as the buses all run one way around the loop. The rooms are nice, and the property is tranquil and attractive. But if you eat at the CS for breakfast, bring you park stuff with you and just get on the bus there as going back to your room and then to the park will add a significant amount of time to your morning.

We love SSR, its quiet, beautiful landscaped, great pools, very good Counter Service and restaurant and the best staff at Disney.

the new Paddock pool is going to be awesome. :thumbsup2

Congress Park has really nice views of Downtown Disney and the lake.

I have stayed here twice and it is growing on me. I was in Congress Park the first time and really enjoyed the walk to DTD. The second time I was in Paddock and although the pool was closed when I was there, it was such an easy and pretty walk to the main building.

I would stay here again easily.

I am staying at ssr for the first time next month. Although we will spend time at the parks, we are looking for a great place to relax. Really looking forward to trying this resort!

i stayed at SSR for a few nights in 2008. i wasn't a huge fan of the resort, but i'm the type to be in a lively, center-of-action place like BWV. SSR was very quiet and relaxing, gorgeous grounds and hotel rooms, and the food was superb IMO. the bus system was workable for us, and the boat to DTD was amazing, can't be beat. I think if you're looking for a relaxing, romantic vacation SSR will be a perfect fit for you. have a happy anniversary trip!!

We have stayed twice in Grandstand and loved both trips. Beautiful grounds, rooms and pools. I agree that the quick serve food choices are limited, but the Turf Club Restaurant was very good for a sit down meal.

Thanks for all the replies! This is really getting me excited about SSR!

To complicate things a little more, I may have a chance to take over someones reservation for a studio at Boardwalk Villas during the dates we want for a similar deal. They are going to let me know tomorrow. Would this be better than a studio at SSR. Too many choices!!!

honestly, i love BWV. i think that either will suit your needs, the BW has more nightlife right there, plus it is very nice to walk to Epcot for dinner if you want (plus HS is a long walk/boatride away). If you're looking for more DTD/spa stay at SSR. They have a Mandara Spa at S/D so it would be close by if you want to partake, not directly at BWV. I think the boardwalk is the best resort to stay at for dedicated resort time, there's just so much to do there, and they do have two night spots for adults if you're interested

I love SSR, we are owners there, but if it came down to SSR vs. Boardwalk, I'd honestly take the Boardwalk.

SSR is lovely, the pools are fabulous, I like the different options at Artists Palate (I could go for the buffalo chicken flatbread right about now!), and you can't beat the proximity to DTD. It has such a nice feel, really homey and comfortable and I think the decor of the rooms is really nice.

I love the Boardwalk a little more because I think you can't beat the location. I love spending my evenings at Epcot and then heading over to Jellyrolls for some dueling piano bar fun. Before PI closed, I would have picked SSR over Boardwalk, but now really Jellyrolls is the best place for after hours entertainment.

The downsides of Boardwalk are the long hallways (really don't bother me, but it does some people), the clown slide is a little funny/creepy (especially when his eyes are lit up at night), and I'm not a fan of the decor of the rooms (I feel like everything in them clashes, not too easy on the eyes). At least they have upgraded the TVs, they used to just have little 13 inchers in the studios which was a total joke!

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the boardwalk.

Will you have a car, and use it to drive to the parks?
If so I would stick with SSR. Parking is so easy and close.
If you have a car at BWV and use it frequently, I hear it is a long walk to the parking lots. This is the only reason I hesitate to stay at BW.

If you have a car at BWV and use it frequently, I hear it is a long walk to the parking lots. This is the only reason I hesitate to stay at BW.

it is a bit of a walk, not something i'd like to do after a long day in the parks.....which is why we always rely on Disney transit once we arrive at MCO lol. no sense in driving when we're happy to let Disney do it for us! (granted, i'm the youngest at 21, so we don't have the stuff associated with young kids....)

We won't be driving. Flying in and then relying completely on Disney transportation! Actually this trip we are considering not even getting park tickets except for a ticket for MNSSHP one night. It's a fairly short trip (10/23 - 10/27) and we've done all the parks recently enough (at least according to my husband!). Planning on more relaxing and enjoying the resort this time around.

We won't be driving. Flying in and then relying completely on Disney transportation! Actually this trip we are considering not even getting park tickets except for a ticket for MNSSHP one night. It's a fairly short trip (10/23 - 10/27) and we've done all the parks recently enough (at least according to my husband!). Planning on more relaxing and enjoying the resort this time around.

if you're only doing DTD, then perhaps stay with SSR. while the boardwalk does have some fun stuff, if you plan to only do DTD and shop, i say stick with SSR for the boat. beats buses any time. or hop over to DTD and catch a bus to another resort to visit :) SSR is great for relaxing, not gonna lie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter