Opinions on snorkels for a 6 year old

I have seen even some kindergartner age children able to use a snorkel but I knew in advance that although our then 7 yr old has loved the pool and ocean from infancy, he would not do well holding that snorkel in his mouth- he happens to be a chatterbox. Plus they don't all seem to be able to be out with it as long, always some are exceptional. So when I saw the new all one piece style I knew i had found the solution- he has snorkeled numerous times now and the fact that he can talk to us with it on is fantastic. We grown ups now have them as well for any light snorkeling, if you are going to be doing any heavy swimming in currents and waves you need the traditional because you breathe more heavily. For less energetic relaxing swims- these new ones work great- I suggest the ones that come in multiple sizes, our brand happened to come in Five sizes- and they tell you exactly how to measure- there are a lot on Amazon plus probably other sports locations or swim shops. We actually are a family of 3 different sizes, that good fit is essential, keeps the water out, most mask snorkels are only child or adult sized. I am also impressed with the large viewing area as opposed to my regular gear, BUT I could not do a intensive swim in it- like we had to swim from the catamaran into the Baths in Tortola, we put it on our heads for the swim in and out as we were against the tide both times, and lowered it onto our face for the snorkeling. But for visibility- they're impressive and he's always one of the last out of the water with it on. I can actually hear him on our go pro when he spotted his first sea turtle in the ocean- priceless memories- have a great time whatever you end up going with.

I have seen even some kindergartner age children able to use a snorkel but I knew in advance that although our then 7 yr old has loved the pool and ocean from infancy, he would not do well holding that snorkel in his mouth- he happens to be a chatterbox. Plus they don't all seem to be able to be out with it as long, always some are exceptional. So when I saw the new all one piece style I knew i had found the solution- he has snorkeled numerous times now and the fact that he can talk to us with it on is fantastic. We grown ups now have them as well for any light snorkeling, if you are going to be doing any heavy swimming in currents and waves you need the traditional because you breathe more heavily. For less energetic relaxing swims- these new ones work great- I suggest the ones that come in multiple sizes, our brand happened to come in Five sizes- and they tell you exactly how to measure- there are a lot on Amazon plus probably other sports locations or swim shops. We actually are a family of 3 different sizes, that good fit is essential, keeps the water out, most mask snorkels are only child or adult sized. I am also impressed with the large viewing area as opposed to my regular gear, BUT I could not do a intensive swim in it- like we had to swim from the catamaran into the Baths in Tortola, we put it on our heads for the swim in and out as we were against the tide both times, and lowered it onto our face for the snorkeling. But for visibility- they're impressive and he's always one of the last out of the water with it on. I can actually hear him on our go pro when he spotted his first sea turtle in the ocean- priceless memories- have a great time whatever you end up going with.

This sounds great -- what kind of mask are you using? Can you include an Amazon link?

i cant post a link but here is the description from the amazon page
hope this helps
TriMagic Full Face Snorkel Mask for Kids and Adult, 180° Panoramic View Snorkeling Mask Set, Easy Breath, Anti-Fog, Anti-Leak, Gopro Compatible

Im looking for opinions on the best snorkel for a 6 year old

My DS was about 6 or 7 when we first went snorkeling. We had him start practicing in the bathtub, so he could learn how to breathe differently (this was before I saw the full face snorkel masks). We went snorkeling at Castaway Cay and, at first, he was struggling with sucking in water, then he learned. With the full-face masks, it shouldn't be an issue though.

I highly recommend visiting a dive shop and getting professional advice on this one. There have recently been concerns that cheaper "knockoff" full-face snorkels might be dangerous due to potential CO2 buildup within the face piece. It seems like it's too early to know for sure if that's actually happening or if people are just overreacting, but I wouldn't want to risk having an issue, and in any case, those dive shop folks really know their stuff!

I highly recommend visiting a dive shop and getting professional advice on this one. There have recently been concerns that cheaper "knockoff" full-face snorkels might be dangerous due to potential CO2 buildup within the face piece. It seems like it's too early to know for sure if that's actually happening or if people are just overreacting, but I wouldn't want to risk having an issue, and in any case, those dive shop folks really know their stuff!
i would love to visit a dive shop but unfortunately we dont have any in Butte, Montana.

i would love to visit a dive shop but unfortunately we dont have any in Butte, Montana.

That is a bummer. We went to a dive shop to get our young daughters fitted properly for masks and snorkels. The masks were the most important part of it all because if they leak and do not fit well, then the user is in trouble by not being able to see clearly etc. The snorkels ended up being the same ones we adults used. So, my advice is to buy what you think will work and then, ideally, try them out before you go. Good luck with it all!

Not in Butte, but there are shops in Helena and Bozeman. It's important when kids start snorkeling to do so carefully or they may get turned off by the activity forever. If your child is unhappy snorkeling, you will be too.

not 'recent'

there have been major concerns about this design for some time now

March 14, 2018, 7:56 AM
Increasingly popular full-face snorkel masks raise safety concerns

Hawaii is grappling with an alarming increase in snorkel-related deaths. Ten people have died since January. On average, 17 people die each year in Hawaii while snorkeling.

A full-face snorkel mask is at the center of one theory about the rise in deadly incidents. So far this year, that type of gear has been involved in four deaths.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-full-face-snorkel-mask-related-deaths/

We found a children's sized snorkel and mask when my DD was really small. She practiced in a swimming pool and could do it, but found that the mouthpiece still hurt her, so she'd end up using the mask and just coming up for air. To this day she has had issues with snorkels (but was a strong swimmer and on a swim team even back then so it's not a water issue, just a mouth issue). She can/has snorkeled over the years, but sometimes just puts on her goggles and uses them instead. It's not the end of the world. Oh, and this was with carefully fitting her. So I say just do your best to find a kiddie one and practice at home (bathtub or local pool), but if it's causing grief know that they don't need the actual snorkel to enjoy coral reefs and fish. Oh, and I'd be really afraid of the full face mask...

I read the article and we too have noticed the quick rise of cheap knockoffs and copies of this type of mask, we bought ours through Amazon after reading a Lot of reviews, and the ability to return it if it did not fit. Ours are from France. The straps holding it on are soft and comfortable, easy to slip on and off, obviously this wouldn't help if you were losing consciousness. We followed their instructions for measuring to size and tested out in our pool before the trip, had it been winter I would have used a tub or spa. At least you have a lot of choices, and can decide what might work best in your case. We've also done swim googles, a blow up mat and just peeking into the water when he was littler because holding a snorkel in his mouth just wasn't going to happen :0) Now I swear he's part fish, but we snorkel close together and about an arms length away from him.

WHile this article is by a manufacturer of full face snorkel masks, it gives a good overview of the issues involved: https://ninjashark.com.au/blog/are-full-face-snorkel-masks-safe/

Buying from a reputable manufacturer [not a knockoff] and knowing how to safely use it are key.

I have an Ocean Reef Aria full face snorkel mask and really like it. They do have a kids size, and a sizing guide on their website. I bought mine at a local dive shop where I could try it on before making the purchase, but did my research about it beforehand online. I managed to buy it during a sale at the shop, so the price was only a little more than buying it online would have been, and I knew I was getting it from an authorized retailer, worth the price premium IMO. The Aria's design has a one-way air circulation system so the fresh air you inhale is kept separate from the air your exhale -- they flow different paths, unlike in a normal snorkle and some of the knock-off full face masks with a single tube the inhaled and exhaled ultimately air share.

SW

I read the article and we too have noticed the quick rise of cheap knockoffs and copies of this type of mask, we bought ours through Amazon after reading a Lot of reviews, and the ability to return it if it did not fit. Ours are from France. The straps holding it on are soft and comfortable, easy to slip on and off, obviously this wouldn't help if you were losing consciousness. We followed their instructions for measuring to size and tested out in our pool before the trip, had it been winter I would have used a tub or spa. At least you have a lot of choices, and can decide what might work best in your case. We've also done swim googles, a blow up mat and just peeking into the water when he was littler because holding a snorkel in his mouth just wasn't going to happen :0) Now I swear he's part fish, but we snorkel close together and about an arms length away from him.

Even as an adult I've done my share lay over the mat, use a snorkel eye mask, and plop the head in to look around then up to breath and move around. When in a protected area it can work well.

SW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J91QT...&pd_rd_r=6e10f007-1873-11e9-adb7-79da964e28a8

42315313_1984176534961303_7683850986812604416_n.jpg

We used these. Kids were not huge fans and ended up just using their goggles, but they are only 5 and just not that interested in what's under the water yet. I didn't worry about CO2 issues since the length of time they used them was so small and they were under no physical strain (we pulled them).

DS 7 has a full face mask snorkel that we purchased a couple of years ago now. He practiced in the bathtub as PP have also mentioned.

We bought a reputable brand and it was fairly expensive (multiples of the cost of a traditional set).

Being 7 (younger when he started using it) he’s not snorkeling for more than 10-15 minutes at a stretch. And he’s literally holding my hand the entire time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter