Opinions on Serengeti Safari at Busch Gardens?

Discussion in 'Sea World / Discovery Cove' started by jenhelgren, Apr 6, 2018.

1. jenhelgren

jenhelgren DIS Veteran

This will be our first trip to Busch Gardens and I cant decide if the safari is worth the extra money for us. I have been reading review online and they are about split between love it or hate it but I would rather hear opinions from fellow DISers. In the photos it looks like you are standing the whole time-how many people are crammed into the truck. My DD is still 10 and would be much shorter than adults so I am wondering how uncomfortable the trip would be for her?? Some other reviews mentioned that the view is the same that you get from the train and that feeding the giraffe is the only difference. We have a local zoo where we feed the giraffes all the time so that wouldn't be something new for us....

2. jaceraden

jaceraden Ringleader to 3 kids in a Disney loving family

I saw this in December, 2017. It looked awesome but I did notice they seemed to be crammed in there like there was no room if someone wanted a break from standing.

Edit: The part I saw is when they were surrounded by, and feeding, giraffes. Which it sounds like is not a big deal for you.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK Mouseketeer

If you are doing just one day and interested in the big rides, consider also that the day will be quite full already. IE, do you want to dedicate the time for that when there is so much to do at the park?

5. nighttowll

nighttowll DIS Veteran

We’ve done this twice as part of the larger VIP tour. Although, both times were a few years ago, so I’m not sure if the experience has changed any since then. Also, we’ve never gotten around to finding time to ride the train, so not sure how the two views differ.

We really enjoyed the experience. I think the kids were 11 to 13 at the time. I don’t remember feeling crammed into the truck or anything, and they made sure each person got a chance to feed the giraffes, and that the photographer got pictures of everyone. I don’t remember issues with standing or anyone complaining about standing, and honestly that particular trip (not BG, just the week in general) was a behavioral nightmare, so I would have heard complaining if the standing had been too much.

I’d definitely recommend it to someone who has never fed giraffes before. We didn’t regret it. However, I’m not sure if you will enjoy it. The main point of the experience is feeding the giraffes, so if that doesn’t really interest you because it’s gotten old, I’d skip it. You do see a few other animals along the way to where you go to feed the giraffes, but not a ton or anything. It kind of feels like a shorter version of Kilimanjaro Safaris to me with less animals. You basically get in the truck, ride to the giraffe feeding area, feed the giraffes, ride back. That’s all there is to it.

There are so many interesting things to see and do at BS, you might be better off spending your time on something else. One of the highlights of one of our trips was feeding the kangaroos. There was a baby at the time, and it was the cutest thing ever, especially when it jumped in and out of the mother’s pouch. This was a much quicker and much less expensive feeding opportunity as well.

6. reelmom

reelmom DIS Veteran

We did the Safari last summer. Please be aware that the feeding of the giraffes depends on the giraffes. They were not interested in our truck, they would not come over no matter what the guides tried. After a few minutes, we were taken back without feeding the giraffes. We had fun and got some great pictures but we could have gotten similar pictures from the train without spending the money on the Safari.

7. keishashadow

keishashadow Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!

Our tour wasn’t crowded, everyone had ample room to hang onto the side and feed the giraffes. People were nice enough to move out of the way to ensure all got a chance to feed them. We didn’t feel rushed at all, a ton of fun:)

We did the kangaroo feeding the same day. Neither really took up that much time, there was plenty of time to enjoy the park.