Opinions on Direct Purchase - OKW vs. CCV

JCBraz

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

Would appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance.

Parents with 3 young children (2,3,5). We will be going to Disney for the forseeable future. Maybe every year. Sometimes two years on then one year off. The Gold Pass makes a difference for a family of five, which is why we want to buy direct before tomorrow.

Here is the dilemma: Have to decide between OKW (57 contract) and CCV. The difference is about 6K for 100 pts. I don't want to finance. Want to pay cash. Would have to finance about 5K for CCV. I am going to be adding points on resale....100 to 150. If we buy OKW we could put that extra towards resale K and get more points for the price.

Our travel window will usually be the week before Thanksgiving or the week after Thanksgiving. We prefer to stay at Wilderness Lodge (there in lies the dilemma).

Do we go OKW or do we go CCV?

Hello all,

Would appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance.

Parents with 3 young children (2,3,5). We will be going to Disney for the forseeable future. Maybe every year. Sometimes two years on then one year off. The Gold Pass makes a difference for a family of five, which is why we want to buy direct before tomorrow.

Here is the dilemma: Have to decide between OKW (57 contract) and CCV. The difference is about 6K for 100 pts. I don't want to finance. Want to pay cash. Would have to finance about 5K for CCV. I am going to be adding points on resale....100 to 150. If we buy OKW we could put that extra towards resale K and get more points for the price.

Our travel window will usually be the week before Thanksgiving or the week after Thanksgiving. We prefer to stay at Wilderness Lodge (there in lies the dilemma).

Do we go OKW or do we go CCV?
Just be aware that CCV/OKW studios sleep 4, so long term maybe not the best solution?

If you are buying OKW for use anywhere points then you could get a Boulder ridge resale to supplement it and they sleep 5 and you get the 11 month window at WL. $125 a point difference from CCV direct to BRV resale at the moment

Sounds like you are a family of 5. That immediately disqualifies CCV unless you want to pony up for a 2br every time you go. Both studios and 1brs at CCV sleep only 4. At OKW you can at least step up to only a 1br to sleep 5.

So it seems to me that's your question. Do you want to need enough points for a 2br at CCV every time you go? Or would you rather spend fewer points at OKW? Even a 2br at OKW is fewer points than a 2br at CCV.

I’m a huge fan of buy where you want to stay, and I love the Wilderness Lodge. That said, it’s important to know that CCV only sleeps 4 in studios and 1 BR, so if you aren’t looking for 2BRs, cabins and GVs, it might not be the resort to start at. We chose to start with BRV for this reason, despite the 2042 expiration, and then added on direct at CCV (for when the kids are grown and it’s just us and for when BRV expires).

With OKW, the extended contracts will be harder to find to add on. With family size, I’d look at SSR instead. Direct there and easy to add on with resale. Cheaper to get the direct member status, giving you more cash to expand. To get your WL, pick up a BRV resale for home resort booking priority on studios for 5. Stick to same UY so for special trips, combining points for larger villas and even cabin stays at CCV, at the 7 month booking window.

Sounds like you are a family of 5. That immediately disqualifies CCV unless you want to pony up for a 2br every time you go. Both studios and 1brs at CCV sleep only 4. At OKW you can at least step up to only a 1br to sleep 5.

So it seems to me that's your question. Do you want to need enough points for a 2br at CCV every time you go? Or would you rather spend fewer points at OKW? Even a 2br at OKW is fewer points than a 2br at CCV.
THIS! We are a young family of 4 (3 YO and 5 months who are considering going to 5) and we love WL. However, we couldn't wrap our heads around potentially needing a 2 BR for our room at 11 months. You are essentially lost there.

Have you considered RIV? That is where we ended up mainly because of the room sizes, contract length and the Skyliner. I would have preferred CCV but the 4 person max crossed it off my list.

One thing to consider, the resale restrictions didn't bother us because we do not plan on selling. However, the thing we did not consider is that now buying resale hurts us because the points cannot be used at RIV. If we were okay with constant split stays or move to a 2 year cycle than we could just treat them as completely separate trips.

THIS! We are a young family of 4 (3 YO and 5 months who are considering going to 5) and we love WL. However, we couldn't wrap our heads around potentially needing a 2 BR for our room at 11 months. You are essentially lost there.

Have you considered RIV? That is where we ended up mainly because of the room sizes, contract length and the Skyliner. I would have preferred CCV but the 4 person max crossed it off my list.

One thing to consider, the resale restrictions didn't bother us because we do not plan on selling. However, the thing we did not consider is that now buying resale hurts us because the points cannot be used at RIV. If we were okay with constant split stays or move to a 2 year cycle than we could just treat them as completely separate trips.
Based on what you said, I reckon you could do worse than buying BRV resale as well, which will expire about same time as kids have flown the nest.

CCV studios sleep 4, so 100 points aren't going to go far with this plan. Sounds like that's not a great option for you.

The Gold Pass takes a long time to recoup if you aren't going every year. With this travel plan, you could go Black Friday - before Thanksgiving - skip - Black Friday - before thankagiving - skip. That's two APs in six years. This discount wouldn't be worth much.

I would not finance at all. It flips all of DVC's math. I would wait until you can afford it, or buy resale first. You want to buy resale first anyway, so you can match up the UY. Or just stay a CB, it's nice and sleeps 5 and you don't have to take out a loan to do it. No shame in a $400 CB room, and DVC math will never work against CB.

Here's an idea. It's something I have literally never suggested before on these boards: Boulder Ridge

Studio sleeps 5, run out the clock on the small contract. You don't need a blue card. Maybe rent out some years at the end if kids are too old for this.

Downside, these points are expensive by contrast to others, and closing cost only makes this math worse:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resort-to-purchase-spring-2020/
But closing only once with one 200 point contract makes value better against a direct + resale transaction, with two closing costs. And it's easier to rent it out at the end of the contract with one big contract. I wouldn't be in a hurry either, I think resale will be better after January, or when Disney is allowed to foreclose again.

That's the price of priority. 11 month is critical for Thanksgiving. This is a good value for an expensive holiday booking, for a special experience. This gives you the lowest buy in to get your 11 mo priority for a peak time and you don't have to finance. There's a few on the market that would meet your criteria.

Edit: Just saw @Ruttangel beat me to this idea! Great minds, right?

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the advice. We paid cash for a 100 pt OKW. There will be years we go back to back—within a twelve month period. With a family of five the gold pass savings is big. We can make that up easy. The lack of one-bedrooms for a family of 5 really narrowed our choices. OKW made the most sense.

We are going to add a resale contract at BR beginning of next year per RoseGold’s suggestion.

Thank you for all of the advice. We paid cash for a 100 pt OKW. There will be years we go back to back—within a twelve month period. With a family of five the gold pass savings is big. We can make that up easy. The lack of one-bedrooms for a family of 5 really narrowed our choices. OKW made the most sense.

We are going to add a resale contract at BR beginning of next year per RoseGold’s suggestion.
Also if you like CCV you could purchase CCV resale. I think or at least it used to be the case that even if the one bedrooms do not sleep 5 you can put 5 if you supply your own bedding ( inflatable mattress). I know that used to be the case not sure if it still is.

Also if you like CCV you could purchase CCV resale. I think or at least it used to be the case that even if the one bedrooms do not sleep 5 you can put 5 if you supply your own bedding ( inflatable mattress). I know that used to be the case not sure if it still is.
It's not the case for CCV.

Great decision. You will love OKW. I think it’s a pretty good deal direct.

It never was the case. Just a few of the older resorts, SSR, BRV, BCV and BWV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter