Opinions on buying Polynesian resale now?

Hoppy-tn

Mouseketeer
Joined
Feb 6, 2022
So we already own at riviera so new poly being new association would not matter. We stayed at Polynesian a couple months ago and loved it so are wanting to buy a small resale there For split stays on one of our trips we take each year. I know there are a lot of opinions on waiting to see what the new tower will be as Far as new association or not. Am I crazy to buy a small contract for 100 points if I could get it for around $150-$160 and then wait to see what new poly will be. My guess is wife and I will probably still prefer old poly over new since we dont Mind studios And like The decor of poly.
 

Matty B13

DIS Veteran
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
If you only want studios for your stays at Poly, and wouldn't care if the new Poly was part of the existing Poly, then I would say go ahead and buy. No need to wait, because you would miss out on about 2 years of staying there waiting for the new tower to be built.

But..... if you think you would like the option to stay in a 1 or 2 Bedroom unit you might want to wait. Or just buy now with the possibility of having to sell in 2 years and buy direct.
 

hglenn

Mouseketeer
Joined
May 10, 2013
If you really like the current Poly and the studios work for you then I think Poly resale is a great option right now. The price is great for the contract length and the monorail resort. As long as you don't mind not being able to use those points at RIV or the new Poly tower with different room-type options (if that's how it works out) then go for it! IMO, the biggest risk is that the tower is a new resort and Poly resale prices drop but if you like it and don't plan to sell it, then that really doesn't matter.
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
As long as you are comfortable having points that might not work there, then I think it can be a good choice. IMO, one should assume its blocked out and then decide. Many won't care...some will.

We thought we would be okay having points bought resale that were restricted from RIV, even though we had plenty of other points. We sold a year later because in the end, it was frustrating to want to change and not have enough points.
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2022
If you don't mind the possibility of being "stuck" in only studios, go for it! At the end of the day, you'll get to enjoy all of the resort amenities that come with the new tower, even if it is under a new association with restrictions. If you find yourself tight for space in the studios, book two - the price is roughly the same when you look at the price charts. And you'll get more bathrooms and sleeping areas compared to what the new 1-bedroom will offer in PVB2.
 

Paul Stupin

New DVC Member
Joined
May 8, 2016
So we already own at riviera so new poly being new association would not matter. We stayed at Polynesian a couple months ago and loved it so are wanting to buy a small resale there For split stays on one of our trips we take each year. I know there are a lot of opinions on waiting to see what the new tower will be as Far as new association or not. Am I crazy to buy a small contract for 100 points if I could get it for around $150-$160 and then wait to see what new poly will be. My guess is wife and I will probably still prefer old poly over new since we dont Mind studios And like The decor of poly.
Riviera direct points aren’t that much more, and you could use them to book Poly1 and Poly2 at seven months and also combine them with your existing Riviera points. I guess it depends on when you guys vacation, and if you absolutely need the 11 month advantage at Poly1.

I also think that Poly1 might decrease in price if the new tower opens with a separate association.
 

Her Dotness

DIS Veteran
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Generally agreeing with the above with the reservation: What may work for you might seem unwise to others.

We bid on and got a VGF resale a few weeks before it went onsale again. Got some cyber-sideeye from people because it was a stripped 150 for about $20/pp less than the onsale price ultimately was. "Not smart to buy now, because resale bottom will drop out soon."

Except, nobody knew yet if VGF2 would be a new association. Price estimates were all over from about where they turned out to be to as much as $230+pp. Because we already had 125 direct VGF points, blue card points weren't our goal.

All the not-wise factors didn't matter substantially to us because we weren't interested in the RS studios but wanted to upgrade to a 1br annually.

You, too, might have reasons why buying Poly resale now works for you. Go for it. Buying what/when we did worked nicely for us.
 

PolynesianPip

Earning My Ears
Joined
Jun 13, 2022
We are in the process of buying a contract at Poly right now— ultimately the “risks” associated with the new tower were not large enough for us to wait or avoid. We love the Poly and are happy with studios. If we need more space, we will book 2 studios— we’ve done this before and works perfectly.

Also, IF the tower is part of the same association, I think the value of the existing Poly contracts will go up— not down.

I guess it is sort of a gamble with some risks (that don’t really matter to us) or rewards that may pay off.

Go for it!
 

Paul Stupin

New DVC Member
Joined
May 8, 2016
We are in the process of buying a contract at Poly right now— ultimately the “risks” associated with the new tower were not large enough for us to wait or avoid. We love the Poly and are happy with studios. If we need more space, we will book 2 studios— we’ve done this before and works perfectly.

Also, IF the tower is part of the same association, I think the value of the existing Poly contracts will go up— not down.

I guess it is sort of a gamble with some risks (that don’t really matter to us) or rewards that may pay off.

Go for it!
Yes, I agree that if the tower is part of the same association, the price of Poly contracts could go up. But I'm not sure why Disney would do it, because buyers could go with cheaper Poly1 resale, stay in the new tower, and Disney would make no money on their investment of a couple hundred million. Seems more likely the new tower will be in a separate association, which could exert downward pressure on Poly1 resale.
 

PolynesianPip

Earning My Ears
Joined
Jun 13, 2022
Yes, I agree that if the tower is part of the same association, the price of Poly contracts could go up. But I'm not sure why Disney would do it, because buyers could go with cheaper Poly1 resale, stay in the new tower, and Disney would make no money on their investment of a couple hundred million. Seems more likely the new tower will be in a separate association, which could exert downward pressure on Poly1 resale.
True, but, the Poly now is the Poly we’re happy with and everything else in the future is just icing on the cake for us! 😜
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
True, but, the Poly now is the Poly we’re happy with and everything else in the future is just icing on the cake for us! 😜

This is the really important piece. You went in perfectly fine with Poly tower being it’s own association so for you, it really doesn’t matter


Congrats!.
 

Jwaire

Mouseketeer
Joined
Sep 17, 2020
Poly has a long contract. It's a beautiful monorail resort and if all else fails you can sell your contract later and buy the new tower if you're interested. It's the easiest to rent out, so it's always going to be in demand. We don't even know the room configuration of the new tower. It may be mostly 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms, which are going to cost more points.

The board's sponsor has a great deal for a 1000 point contract right now. o_O:D

All joking aside, I think if it's a reasonable amount of points you'd be fine. I'd be on the search for 100-150 point contracts as they're generally the sweet spot for selling later. I feel like you'd be overpaying in the 50-75 range, but if you find a good deal there I wouldn't hesitate to snag it.

Good luck! Poly was my first home resort and we love it.
 

I am Moana of Motunui

Earning My Ears
Joined
May 10, 2022
We are in the process of buying a contract at Poly right now— ultimately, the “risks” associated with the new tower were not large enough for us to wait or avoid. We love the Poly and are happy with studios. If we need more space, we will book 2 studios— we’ve done this before and works perfectly.

Also, IF the tower is part of the same association, I think the value of the existing Poly contracts will go up— not down.

I guess it is sort of a gamble with some risks (that don’t really matter to us) or rewards that may pay off.

Go for it!
That’s my thinking as well. I just closed on a Poly resale contract. Personally, I knew I wanted to be at a monorail resort because I have two little ones. Also, they love the pool at the Poly, so selecting the resort wasn’t a difficult decision for me. I also didn’t want to wait another 2 years to see whether Poly 2 will be a new association, so I took the plunge. I’m happy with my decision. If Poly 2 is the same association, that’s great; if not, oh well! At least I’m a member now and can buy points direct at the member rate, and I hope Disney has some good incentives on the price for Poly 2 like they did for VGF2, so that I can purchase some additional points direct 😊.
 

RaymOOOnd

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jun 14, 2015
There's a lot of talk about the potential for downward pressure on Poly1 resale prices if the new tower is in a new association. But the relevant comparison is whether the Poly1 resale takes a greater hit from inability to stay in the new tower VERSUS the hit taken upfront by Poly2 resale for the plain fact that those points upon reselling will only be usable at the one resort (i.e. Poly tower). That's an awfully limited deal to be had by the buyer -- not only confined to one resort, but to just one part of one resort (if I'm understanding this all correctly).
 

PolynesianPip

Earning My Ears
Joined
Jun 13, 2022
There's a lot of talk about the potential for downward pressure on Poly1 resale prices if the new tower is in a new association. But the relevant comparison is whether the Poly1 resale takes a greater hit from inability to stay in the new tower VERSUS the hit taken upfront by Poly2 resale for the plain fact that those points upon reselling will only be usable at the one resort (i.e. Poly tower). That's an awfully limited deal to be had by the buyer -- not only confined to one resort, but to just one part of one resort (if I'm understanding this all correctly).
I agree. I still think if you consider the fact you may have to/want to resell one day, Poly 1 would be much preferred as the most desirable Poly resale due to its versatility after resell.

Your post well articulated the other major thing I considered in all of this— nice!
 

PolynesianPip

Earning My Ears
Joined
Jun 13, 2022
That’s my thinking as well. I just closed on a Poly resale contract. Personally, I knew I wanted to be at a monorail resort because I have two little ones. Also, they love the pool at the Poly, so selecting the resort wasn’t a difficult decision for me. I also didn’t want to wait another 2 years to see whether Poly 2 will be a new association, so I took the plunge. I’m happy with my decision. If Poly 2 is the same association, that’s great; if not, oh well! At least I’m a member now and can buy points direct at the member rate, and I hope Disney has some good incentives on the price for Poly 2 like they did for VGF2, so that I can purchase some additional points direct 😊.
Are your little ones named Pua and Hei Hei?

I couldn’t resist! 😜
 

princesscinderella

DIS Veteran
Joined
May 27, 2011
I’m closing this week on a delayed closing Poly contract that I went under contract three days before they announced poly 2. I got an amazing deal of $140 a point so I at that price I don’t care if the new tower is part of the original poly DVC. I am on team Poly2 being part of poly1 as it’s basically the same scenario as VGF but in reverse. My feelings are that if I can’t stay at the new tower with these points they are still great sleep around points at a great price and I can stay at VGF for a long time with them too. My contract that I got was sitting at $155 a point for a few months, don’t be afraid to offer lower and stick to it. There are deals to be had.
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
There's a lot of talk about the potential for downward pressure on Poly1 resale prices if the new tower is in a new association. But the relevant comparison is whether the Poly1 resale takes a greater hit from inability to stay in the new tower VERSUS the hit taken upfront by Poly2 resale for the plain fact that those points upon reselling will only be usable at the one resort (i.e. Poly tower). That's an awfully limited deal to be had by the buyer -- not only confined to one resort, but to just one part of one resort (if I'm understanding this all correctly).

Yes, if Poly tower comes with the restrictions of RIV, then anyone who buys it on the resale market is then limited to staying at Poly in the tower.

However, like RIV, if people love the resort, then it won’t matter. They will more than likely be someone who owns points there but elsewhere so they have the ability to stay other places.

I love RIV enough that if I had to stay there each and every trip I have no issue with it. And now, the only trading I do is to VGF.

I think, because Poly is an MK resort, it won’t have any problem selling not only new, but on resale. Remember anyone buying it direct would have no change in use and would be able to use it everywhere.

Plenty of buyers, IMO, won’t care about resale restrictions enough to not buy it, assuming it is a new associaiton.
 

erinkristen04

Mouseketeer
Joined
May 21, 2014
That’s my thinking as well. I just closed on a Poly resale contract. Personally, I knew I wanted to be at a monorail resort because I have two little ones. Also, they love the pool at the Poly, so selecting the resort wasn’t a difficult decision for me. I also didn’t want to wait another 2 years to see whether Poly 2 will be a new association, so I took the plunge. I’m happy with my decision. If Poly 2 is the same association, that’s great; if not, oh well! At least I’m a member now and can buy points direct at the member rate, and I hope Disney has some good incentives on the price for Poly 2 like they did for VGF2, so that I can purchase some additional points direct 😊.
This was our EXACT train of thought!!! We are currently 16 days into the ROFR waiting game for Poly. We, too, have two littles who love the pool (and I love being on the monorail in light of their age). My husband was really only interested in buying at Poly, which is fine with me because it’s my favorite resort. Gives me all the feels (castle views, tranquil music, lapu lapu in hand… heavenly.). We didn’t want to wait to find out about Poly 2 either, although I completely get why some people want to hold off. For us, if it’s part of the same association then that’s just icing on the cake. If it’s not, we will still be perfectly happy with OG Poly since studios fit our family just fine right now and I, too, had the same thought that if our needs or wants change, at least now we will be able to buy direct with the existing member incentives. Congratulations on your new contract! :)
 








Top