Opening Season Just Announced for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge / Summer 2019 for Disneyland

dina444444

DIS Veteran
While we are still hard at work creating our largest single-themed land expansions ever, I have some exciting news to share today. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open in summer 2019 at Disneyland Resort and in late fall 2019 at Walt Disney World Resort, when guests will land in the middle of the action as they live their own Star Wars stories.

In the meantime, take a look at this incredible sneak peek at these new immersive lands which I’m excited to share here on the Disney Parks Blog for the first time!

Source

I have seen and spoken to SOOOO many people who are determined to get a trip in "before SW:GE opens to avoid crowds" that I'm curious how this will play out, crowd-wise. Will a critical mass of people put off trips until it's open? Will MORE people show up in the winter/spring in an attempt to "miss crowds" and actually create more crowds?

I expect that both will be true and 2019 will just be incredibly crowded... prior to SW, you'll have people thinking they're "missing the crowds," and then you'll have people showing up for SW to see it!

The video makes me think drones will be flying overhead adding to the feel of the land. I’m am 75% super stoked about that and 25% creeped out by it. #lovehate ?

I'm betting for SWL to open on or just before 4th of July weekend. Cars Land opened around the same time frame.

I have seen and spoken to SOOOO many people who are determined to get a trip in "before SW:GE opens to avoid crowds" that I'm curious how this will play out, crowd-wise. Will a critical mass of people put off trips until it's open? Will MORE people show up in the winter/spring in an attempt to "miss crowds" and actually create more crowds?

I expect that both will be true and 2019 will just be incredibly crowded... prior to SW, you'll have people thinking they're "missing the crowds," and then you'll have people showing up for SW to see it!

This is what I’m still pondering on. I think I’ll just pocket my DL trip until October 2019 - waiting to see how the crowds shake out.

I don’t think it would really make that much difference when I go - especially since I’ll likely be a solo traveler and won’t need to experience Galaxy’s Edge.

Cars land opened June 15, 2012.
I’m going with Memorial Day weekend as the summer kickoff.
Some other dates to consider:

Summer 2019 starts on Friday June 21 2019 and ends on Monday September 23 2019
D23 Expo is August 23–25 2019

ADDC3995-95AA-482B-929C-5D508965EF58.jpeg
Star Wars opened May 25 1977

And Disney typically considers Memorial Day weekend the start of summer.
While that's true, Pixar Pier is opening in late June, and last year, Fantasmic! and ROA stuff opened mid/late July. I think those were both just advertised as "summer" initially. I think even if they're aiming for Memorial Day (which I'm sure they are), it could go later... like what happened with the Fantasmic! reboot.

Star Wars opened May 25 1977

May 25, 2019 is the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend...That would be a fun opening date .

I'm sure they don't have a firm date yet because things happen. And of course there will be pre parties. But it is fun to guess. I hope they announce the opening around January so we don't have a ton of upset visitors who expected it to open by early June only to find it opens later. Incredicoaster... :sad2:

While that's true, Pixar Pier is opening in late June, and last year, Fantasmic! and ROA stuff opened mid/late July. I think those were both just advertised as "summer" initially. I think even if they're aiming for Memorial Day (which I'm sure they are), it could go later... like what happened with the Fantasmic! reboot.
In 2015 Peter Pan and Matterhorn were supposed to open in early May. Both were delayed with Matterhorn opening with the kickoff of the 60th at the end of May and Peter Pan being delayed until July. Delays happen.

I suspect Pixar Pier wasn't ready to open for Memorial Day because they waited until after the holidays to close things down. I would guess they're aiming for Memorial Day - if they run early they'll have more room for preparties, and if they run late they can have a June or early July opening. I doubt it will go into August unless they encounter some major setbacks - that's getting too close to school starting and people would complaint that "Summer" was misleading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter