Opening Day Pricing vs. Onboard Booking

dsjerome

Earning My Ears
Hi... My family and I have a cruise booked for January 2019. However, I'd like to book another cruise for the Christmas 2019 season when the prices come out next week (when they're the least expensive) because I've noticed, the longer you wait the more you end up paying. At the same time, I have heard that you get a good discount with onboard booking. Does it make sense to make a reservation when pricing comes out and then in January, compare the price/discount while on board?

Hi... My family and I have a cruise booked for January 2019. However, I'd like to book another cruise for the Christmas 2019 season when the prices come out next week (when they're the least expensive) because I've noticed, the longer you wait the more you end up paying. At the same time, I have heard that you get a good discount with onboard booking. Does it make sense to make a reservation when pricing comes out and then in January, compare the price/discount while on board?
Yes, that is what you should do. It's easy to cancel & rebook on board- I've done it. Another thing to consider is that some Christmas season cruises will be blacked out for the discount. So you should check the new blackout dates when the new itineraries come out.

I'm so the OP asked this question! I was planning to book onboard (in four weeks, eeks!) for my family and a second room for friends. Should my strategy book two rooms on (my silver) opening day, one in my name and one in my husband's? Thanks in advance!

I'm so the OP asked this question! I was planning to book onboard (in four weeks, eeks!) for my family and a second room for friends. Should my strategy book two rooms on (my silver) opening day, one in my name and one in my husband's? Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, what's OP?:) Anyway, when I've booked a cruise for my family and sister, everything was under my husbands name. I don't think it's necessary to have to separate bookings. Keep things simple with just one reservation.
:flower1:

Last edited:

everything was under my husbands name. I don't think it's necessary to have to separate bookings. Keep things simple with just one reservation.

On DCL, each stateroom is a separate reservation, and you must name the guests (with DOB). The reservations can be linked, but you can’t put it all in one name.

OP = original post or original poster, the first post in the thread :)

Enjoy your cruise!

On board booking gives a 10% discount on the cruise fare (whatever the current fare is when doing the booking), a reduced deposit, and an on board credit.

There aren't any special fares beyond that just because you are booking on board.

It is generally considered that your best option for your situation would be to book at opening [when prices are generally the lowest aside from certain discounts offered closer to sailing]. Then, once you board, have them price the same cruise for you and see if it is actually cheaper, taking into account the OBB benefits. You may find the price has increased enough that the OBB is a moot point.

SW

On board booking gives a 10% discount on the cruise fare (whatever the current fare is when doing the booking), a reduced deposit, and an on board credit.

There aren't any special fares beyond that just because you are booking on board.

It is generally considered that your best option for your situation would be to book at opening [when prices are generally the lowest aside from certain discounts offered closer to sailing]. Then, once you board, have them price the same cruise for you and see if it is actually cheaper, taking into account the OBB benefits. You may find the price has increased enough that the OBB is a moot point.

SW
Agree my Iceland 2019 cruise was going up in price during platinum booking, and then up and up until general release wiping out 10% discount.

You can always book, and then try to rebook on the cruise, " if" cheaper then rebook then and cancel.

On DCL, each stateroom is a separate reservation, and you must name the guests (with DOB). The reservations can be linked, but you can’t put it all in one name.

OP = original post or original poster, the first post in the thread :)

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for clearing that up. I was probably thinking about the linked reservations when I replied to that post. Should I go ahead and delete that response since it's not accurate?

Looks like I'll book it as soon as I'm able, then double-check things in January. Thanks for all your input! Happy Sailing! :cheer2:

Thanks everyone! I have a follow up question--can I have my travel agent book opening day and then change it onboard if the price is less?

Thanks everyone! I have a follow up question--can I have my travel agent book opening day and then change it onboard if the price is less?
When you "reshop" a cruise onboard, you don't just change the reservation you already have. You make a new reservation and then cancel the original one.

Remember, if the prices have risen enough, it could negate the discount, since the discount is taken on the price the cruise is selling for the day your reshopping onboard. You can't get the discount on the price it was when you made the original reservation.

If you used a TA, then the onboard agent will not be able to cancel the original reservation. You will need to have your TA do that afterwards. Keep in mind that some TAs that give stateroom credits, may offer reduced credit for these on board bookings since their commission is reduced by DCL. I have reshopped once and it was for the second leg of a B2B cruise. I booked a stateroom in a similar category, since there were no available rooms in our original category. Once we finished our cruise, I contacted our TA and she cancelled our original reservation, and then moved the new reservation to the now available stateroom, so we didn't have to change rooms between cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!