Oops I booked one again...

PixieT78

Mouseketeer
Soooo I've decided to try to salvage DH's 50th birthday celebration as much as I can. He is a MASSIVE Harry Potter fan and his favourite place in the world is the Hog's Head in Hogsmede at Island of Adventure (nope, USH does not cut it lol). So since Canada decided yesterday that fully vaccinated Canadians (which we are) will be permitted to enter without the mandatory 14 day quarantine, I'm taking my shot on a surprise, short-ish, USO only trip (with cancelable flights and hotel). If I can pull this off, this will be the most epic thing I've ever done lol. Only thing is HRH (his fave) is sold out but RPR is still such a better price I don't know if I could justify it anyway. It will be fun to try something else and see what we think for our trips next year.

I'm a bit out of practice as it has been a couple of years since we've been (May 2019 was the last trip), though as you can see from my sig, we've been quite a few times. However, some things I am hoping someone can help confirm:

1) staying at RPR for the first time. Tips and tricks? I'll check out the thread too. Currently no APH rates are available - is it worth checking back or am I outside the window/too much revenge travel to bother?
2) planning on buying a 5 day, 2 park, park to park ticket (we aren't volcano bay people). I want to wait until the last possible moment to upgrade to an AP so just to confirm, I can do that on our last park day right? Anything I need to make sure I know? Our plans for 2022 would currently allow for seasonal pass since we wouldn't be around for the usual blackout periods. Can we also upgrade that pass if things change?
3) would love ideas on how I can make this even more special. Should I contact the hotel now to make a birthday note (I did select it when I booked, but also selected early arrival and close to elevator)?

So excited to be back here and planning! Like everyone, it has been a loooong road and I'm ready for some normalcy and some FUN!

I have a question. Why are you waiting until the last day to upgrade to an annual pass? I would have thought you would want to take advantage of the discounts during the trip, especially for the hotel room.

For us, it is because we are planning to also go in Sept 2022 and with DH's birthday on the 25th, I'd want to make sure the AP was in effect on that day as well. Also we get the seasonal pass so a lot of times the discounts aren't applicable. That all said, I'm open to a higher pass option and we may be looking at changing our days around for 2022 as well so we don't need it quite as late. But I won't know until we go this year as that will be a DH decision :)

Also currently there are no rooms available with APH rates anyway and I believe you don't need to show it until the last day. But things I need to confirm!

Sept 22-27. It is HHN every night so I think they just aren't available.
That would be my guess, too :sad1: - with HHN being cancelled last year + revenge travel, I think the AP rate rooms (well, the rooms period) went FAST but folks could always cancel & open up a spot!

Yeah I'll probably keep randomly looking - you never know! I'm sure it will be insanely busy when we are there but as long as we can get a seat in the Hog's Head at some point on Sept 25th, it will all be worth it.

Soooo I've decided to try to salvage DH's 50th birthday celebration as much as I can. He is a MASSIVE Harry Potter fan and his favourite place in the world is the Hog's Head in Hogsmede at Island of Adventure

I love, love, love the Harry Potter Stuff at the Florida parks as well! It's just so immersive.

...staying at RPR for the first time. Tips and tricks?

We haven't stayed there in a while, but when we did, we liked it! I remember we took advantage of the boat transportation option, and enjoyed a luau at the resort one night. I don't remember much about the layout, as it was quite a while ago, but the gift shop was good.

Yeah I'll probably keep randomly looking - you never know! I'm sure it will be insanely busy when we are there but as long as we can get a seat in the Hog's Head at some point on Sept 25th, it will all be worth it.

My son's birthday is on the 24th and he really wants to do HHN for the 1st time (he's turning 19) so I tried to book a premier hotel for September 23-27 and I got nothing. The only things showing as available were the hospitality suites at $600/night. I ended up reserving Aventura just to have something, but I am planning on randomly checking as well.

Yes, this. It expires 366 days from first day of ticket use.

oh really?! I didn’t realize that. Crap. That would rule out using the pass for all the days next year unless we definitely weren’t there on DH’s birthday next year.

We actually were planning on talking about the Sept 2022 trip tonight anyway as far as timing goes as we can finally book AKL at Disney and I had been thinking of moving things around and doing that at the end. So maybe I can sneakily convince him to not be at US on his actual birthday next year since I made it happen this year 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter