Only four days and so much to do!

LeahC

Earning My Ears
We’ll be at Aulani for only four days (after taking travel into account). Myself, Dh, dd 6, and ds 17 months. We definitely want to take in all that Aulani has to offer, but would also like to see some more of Ohau. We’re more interested in experiencing nature than seeing attractions or shopping. We’ll have a rental car.

We’re from Colorado, we’re BIG hikers (we can hike pretty far with our kids) and definitely going to hike on our trip. We’d love to do some waterfall hikes. Anyone have any favorites or thoughts on Waimano Falls or Maunawili Falls? Not a waterfall hike, but has anyone done Kaena Point?

Is the North Shore worth a visit since our time is short and our focus outside of Aulani is hiking? Specifically Waimea Bay and Valley?

We’re excited to go snorkeling at Aulani. Are we really missing out if we don’t go to Hanauma Bay?

What about beaches? Should we make time to see Lanikai?

Thanks!

Four days is a very short time to be there. Are you combining with another island? That might change the recommendations if you will see similar things elsewhere.

Personally, I think you're missing something great if you skip Hanauma Bay. BUT with two littles, Rainbow Reef might be easier. And if your main focus is hiking, it might be all you really have time for.

Four days is a very short time to be there. Are you combining with another island? That might change the recommendations if you will see similar things elsewhere.

Personally, I think you're missing something great if you skip Hanauma Bay. BUT with two littles, Rainbow Reef might be easier. And if your main focus is hiking, it might be all you really have time for.

Thanks! We are not visiting any other island.

We’ll be at Aulani for only four days (after taking travel into account). Myself, Dh, dd 6, and ds 17 months. We definitely want to take in all that Aulani has to offer, but would also like to see some more of Ohau. We’re more interested in experiencing nature than seeing attractions or shopping. We’ll have a rental car.

We’re from Colorado, we’re BIG hikers (we can hike pretty far with our kids) and definitely going to hike on our trip. We’d love to do some waterfall hikes. Anyone have any favorites or thoughts on Waimano Falls or Maunawili Falls? Not a waterfall hike, but has anyone done Kaena Point?

Is the North Shore worth a visit since our time is short and our focus outside of Aulani is hiking? Specifically Waimea Bay and Valley?

We’re excited to go snorkeling at Aulani. Are we really missing out if we don’t go to Hanauma Bay?

What about beaches? Should we make time to see Lanikai?

Thanks!

The Kaena Point hike was tremendous. Some truly beautiful views and the chance to see some monk seals at the end. It is very long and the final part in the sand can be grueling. Go early and bring LOTS of water. You don't wanna get stuck making the trek back along the cliffs in the midday sun. We also enjoy Pillboxes quite a bit. We do it at least once a trip.

If you're into hiking, Waimea valley is going to disappoint you. It's a paved walk to a small waterfall. And there's an entrance fee. I think you'd like Maunawili falls much better, if hiking is your actual goal.

If you're into hiking, Waimea valley is going to disappoint you. It's a paved walk to a small waterfall. And there's an entrance fee. I think you'd like Maunawili falls much better, if hiking is your actual goal.
thank you for that, we're there in 8 days and were thinking about this but know we'll change plans

Agree about Waimea Valley - probably not the type of hike you're looking for.
I've done Hanauma Bay, but for a short trip, I would recommend just snorkeling next door at Paradise Cove. It's really accessible for little ones if your 6yo wants to do it, too.
Also, can I just say I'm jealous that you do a lot of hiking with your littles? My 10yo whined the whole way through most of the hikes we forced her to do in Hawaii. ;)

I also agree with PPs about Waimea Valley. We are not into hiking and were disappointed by it, and the $16pp admission fee. Plus the swimming at that waterfall is nothing to write home about.

I might take a day and start early at Lanikai or Kailua beach. You can take the long way back to Aulani by driving through the North Shore and stop in Haleiwa for dinner or a shave ice at Matsumoto's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!