One time use points

glamdring269

DIS Veteran
Looking to borrow from 2020 in order to pivot from a studio to a 1br at non home resort. I’ll need either 3 or 4 OTU points in order to finish the res. This is being done at 7 months so just curious what’s the best way to do it so I can be sure not to purchase these and somehow lose availability before I can complete the booking?

If this can all be done as part of the online booking process then no problem. I guess the concern comes in if I have to call to purchase otu points then make the res change.

Example:
Current - 76 point booking at home resort
New - 150 point booking at 7 month window

Can borrow 70 points for a total of 146. Will need to purchase 4 OTU points.

Looking to borrow from 2020 in order to pivot from a studio to a 1br at non home resort. I’ll need either 3 or 4 OTU points in order to finish the res. This is being done at 7 months so just curious what’s the best way to do it so I can be sure not to purchase these and somehow lose availability before I can complete the booking?

If this can all be done as part of the online booking process then no problem. I guess the concern comes in if I have to call to purchase otu points then make the res change.

Example:
Current - 76 point booking at home resort
New - 150 point booking at 7 month window

Can borrow 70 points for a total of 146. Will need to purchase 4 OTU points.
You have to call MS to purchase and use OTUPs. This puts you at a 1-hour disadvantage vs. booking a online. There’s just no way around that.

You need to call, unfortunately. What I've done has been to book all but the last night when online reservations open, then call an hour later to add the last night and buy the OT points. If you are staying for more than a week, you'll need to call the next morning to add the 8th night. I don't know about adding nights beyond that. I was worried, but it worked well for me! My guess is that it varies by time of year.

When you call, they book your stay, but don't finalize it. Then they transfer you to another dept to buy the OTU points. Then OTU points people transfer you back to MS to complete the reservation.

I did exactly what you are looking to do just this morning! Like Wayland10 suggested, I booked three nights of my four night trip, then called to add the last night and buy the six extra points I needed for it (on top of borrowing). I only had to speak with one representative who took my credit card info for the purchase and also booked my fourth night. It was easier than expected!

When you call, they book your stay, but don't finalize it. Then they transfer you to another dept to buy the OTU points. Then OTU points people transfer you back to MS to complete the reservation.
Is this new? I buy OTU points almost every year and have never had them do this. The CM making my reservation has always handled the whole transaction.

Is this new? I buy OTU points almost every year and have never had them do this. The CM making my reservation has always handled the whole transaction.

It's been like that for awhile - I purchase OTU points every year. :p It used to be as Deb&Bill stated, I just can't remember when it changed.

I last bought OTU points just before the raised the price to $17 from $15. So it has been a little while.

I had to buy some yesterday. It is $19/pp now (that's inclusive of tax). All handled in one transaction, charged points on credit card. Still cheaper than the CRO room I had previously booked while on the waitlist.

If I have plenty of points, but dont want to use them for a specific trip, can I buy OTU points from MS anyway?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter