One evening at GF

Kariyaffa

Mouseketeer
Hello! I was lucky enough to win a 3 day cruise on the Wish and Disney is putting us up at the Grand Floridian the night before the cruise. It’s me, my husband, and our 2 boys 5 and 9.
Our flight doesn’t get in until almost 2 that day so by the time we get to the resort we’ll only have a few hours to enjoy. I was thinking about using the pool and splash area if the weather is good, riding the monorail loop since my kids love any kind of transportation, then dinner at Gasparilla and watching the electrical water pageant before bed.
Does that make sense as a plan? Anything else we should definitely try to squeeze in.
None of us have ever stayed at a Disney resort before so this is super exciting.
We don’t know what time the DCL transportation is coming in the morning but based on recent reports I’m assuming it will be around 8:30 or 9 and we won’t have time for much except a quick breakfast.

TIA

I’d consider doing dinner at Grand FL Cafe since you’ll end up with QS for breakfast. It’s super casual so don’t have to dress up or anything and is the most affordable TS option at GF. (The salmon is consistently excellent!)

We love the GF Cafe. We also love Capt Cooks at the Poly if you are looking for QS. The pulled pork nachos are awesome followed by a dole whip at the Pineapple Lanai.

If your kids love transportation, in addition to the monorail be sure to ride the launch that runs from GF to Poly to MK then back to GF. If you ride the boat from GF to MK, you can get off there and catch the Resort monorail around to GF, passing through CR, TTC and Poly stations on the way.

If your kids love transportation, in addition to the monorail be sure to ride the launch that runs from GF to Poly to MK then back to GF. If you ride the boat from GF to MK, you can get off there and catch the Resort monorail around to GF, passing through CR, TTC and Poly stations on the way.
Awesome! Thanks everyone so much.

If you ride the boat from GF to MK, you can get off there and catch the Resort monorail around to GF, passing through CR, TTC and Poly stations on the way.
I can see doing this as "transportation is attraction." However, that's easily a 45-minute ride.

Consider instead walking back to the GF from the MK, only about 15-20 minutes. The new walkway is wide and beautifully paved. It starts not far from the boat dock. Hang a left as you come away from the boat dock and you'll see the sign for it.

I can see doing this as "transportation is attraction." However, that's easily a 45-minute ride.

Consider instead walking back to the GF from the MK, only about 15-20 minutes. The new walkway is wide and beautifully paved. It starts not far from the boat dock. Hang a left as you come away from the boat dock and you'll see the sign for it.
I think that "transportation as attraction" is what this mom was thinking:
Our flight doesn’t get in until almost 2 that day so by the time we get to the resort we’ll only have a few hours to enjoy. I was thinking about using the pool and splash area if the weather is good, riding the monorail loop since my kids love any kind of transportation, then dinner at Gasparilla and watching the electrical water pageant before bed.
And it just occurred to me - you could take the monorail from MK, get off at TTC, take the ferry back to MK, and then use the walkway back to GF - depending on how much time you had to devote to this "attraction" and how hot it was at the time.

Wow! So many options!.. getting there are 2pm+ wont be a hinderance to a fulfilling one night stay without park tickets IMO.

Mad Hatter Kids Splash Park

1653670450150.png

Movies Under the Stars

Also have the option to walk, monorail or boat to another MK area resort (CR, Poly, or WL) relatively easily for Movies Under the Stars there if you prefer what they are screening.

1653670692407.png

Fireworks

This view (probably the best) is from the docks right outside Gasparillas.

1653670914329.png

Monorail Ride

You also have the option to take the monorail from the Grand to the TTC (Ticket and Transportation Center), which is the stop in between the Contemporary Resort and the Polynesian Village Resort, and switch over to the EPCOT loop.. which is a longer ride and actually takes you through part of the EPCOT itself.

1653671312627.png

For Dining you have a TON of options outside of quick service for very casual sit down meals.

-Grand Floridian Cafe, as others have stated.. very casual and consistently good.

1653672412841.png

-Kona Cafe, next door at the Poly.. I love this place. Unique menu and great ambience in the Poly Grand Ceremonial House. There is also O'hana, which fits the bill and has great views of the Cinderella's Castle.. but reservations are a little harder to come by.

1653672476310.png

-Steakhouse 71, new to the CR.. haven't had a chance to dine here yet but the menu looks great, the reviews have been good.. and the bacon and eggs appetizer from the Wave (which Steakhouse 71 replaced) survived so I can recommend the place just based on that knowledge alone lol. (mapple-lacquered pork belly with smoked cheese grits and a fried egg.. need I say more?).. there is also Chef Mickeys upstairs on the concourse (which you will see as the Monorail passes through the atrium).. but, again, reservations are much harder to come by there.

1653672559696.png

-Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is always a great time.. and the epitome of casual sit down dining. Walking around the WL lobby and resort itself is also a huge pull in itself. Getting there is a little more dificult though, as it's not on the MK Monorail loop... easiest (and most fun) way IMO is to either walk or take the Monorail from the GF to MK and then take a boat from MK to WL... that boat ride is quick and pretty cool in itself as well, as it goes over the water bridge in between Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon.. yes.. the bridge is made of water, not the other way around.

1653672617613.png

Outside of that.. the whole of WDW Resort Dining is your oyster.. plenty of great places only a 20 minute bus ride away (or 40 minute with transfers at the parks).. Sanaa at AKL KV (great food and views of the AKL savanna animals while dining), Boma at AKL, Cape May Cafe at BC, Ale and Compass at YC, Trattoria al Forno at BW (don't personally recommend this one, but many seem to like it)...

Either way, you are going to have a great time! Even if you never leave the GF except to take a loop or two around the Monorail.. you and your kids are going to have a blast.. the GF is an experience in and of itself. Not a bad "first" WDW resort to experience.

Wow! So many options!.. getting there are 2pm+ wont be a hinderance to a fulfilling one night stay without park tickets IMO.

Mad Hatter Kids Splash Park

View attachment 672179

Movies Under the Stars

Also have the option to walk, monorail or boat to another MK area resort (CR, Poly, or WL) relatively easily for Movies Under the Stars there if you prefer what they are screening.

View attachment 672181

Fireworks

This view (probably the best) is from the docks right outside Gasparillas.

View attachment 672182

Monorail Ride

You also have the option to take the monorail from the Grand to the TTC (Ticket and Transportation Center), which is the stop in between the Contemporary Resort and the Polynesian Village Resort, and switch over to the EPCOT loop.. which is a longer ride and actually takes you through part of the EPCOT itself.

View attachment 672183

For Dining you have a TON of options outside of quick service for very casual sit down meals.

-Grand Floridian Cafe, as others have stated.. very casual and consistently good.

View attachment 672186

-Kona Cafe, next door at the Poly.. I love this place. Unique menu and great ambience in the Poly Grand Ceremonial House. There is also O'hana, which fits the bill and has great views of the Cinderella's Castle.. but reservations are a little harder to come by.

View attachment 672188

-Steakhouse 71, new to the CR.. haven't had a chance to dine here yet but the menu looks great, the reviews have been good.. and the bacon and eggs appetizer from the Wave (which Steakhouse 71 replaced) survived so I can recommend the place just based on that knowledge alone lol. (mapple-lacquered pork belly with smoked cheese grits and a fried egg.. need I say more?).. there is also Chef Mickeys upstairs on the concourse (which you will see as the Monorail passes through the atrium).. but, again, reservations are much harder to come by there.

View attachment 672189

-Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is always a great time.. and the epitome of casual sit down dining. Walking around the WL lobby and resort itself is also a huge pull in itself. Getting there is a little more dificult though, as it's not on the MK Monorail loop... easiest (and most fun) way IMO is to either walk or take the Monorail from the GF to MK and then take a boat from MK to WL... that boat ride is quick and pretty cool in itself as well, as it goes over the water bridge in between Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon.. yes.. the bridge is made of water, not the other way around.

View attachment 672190

Outside of that.. the whole of WDW Resort Dining is your oyster.. plenty of great places only a 20 minute bus ride away (or 40 minute with transfers at the parks).. Sanaa at AKL KV (great food and views of the AKL savanna animals while dining), Boma at AKL, Cape May Cafe at BC, Ale and Compass at YC, Trattoria al Forno at BW (don't personally recommend this one, but many seem to like it)...

Either way, you are going to have a great time! Even if you never leave the GF except to take a loop or two around the Monorail.. you and your kids are going to have a blast.. the GF is an experience in and of itself. Not a bad "first" WDW resort to experience.
@ParklandDISDad thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful reply ! This is so helpful!

yes! Exactly what we were going for. Seems like there are so many wonderful options included with the resort.
For sure.

Also, they usually have cool arts and crafts activities that are free and which your kids are the perfect age to enjoy. If you're interested, definitely check on that with the front desk when you arrive because they are usually happening in the early afternoon. Another activity I forgot to mention was "Campfire" S'mores.. there is a Mickey shaped fire pit where you can buy a S'mores kit and roast marshmallows.. usually happening for 30 minutes, around the time Movies Under the Stars kicks off, located on the beach just behind the main pool.

Any chance they have seats available at Movies Under the Stars? My mom is a senior, if she gets down on the ground she won't be able to get herself back up.

Any chance they have seats available at Movies Under the Stars? My mom is a senior, if she gets down on the ground she won't be able to get herself back up.

Yes! It depends on the resort.. some resorts have regular chairs, some have lounge chairs, and a few just have artificial turf… but, I guarantee that in the event there aren’t any chairs available if you ask the attendant for a chair for your mom and they will accommodate and bring one.

From my personal experience chairs just aren’t as important for the kids because they aren’t going to sit still for the whole screening for the most part and will end up running around, but it’s a very casual atmosphere.. not like a typical moving screening, so no issues there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter