One day at Hollywood Studios... what's a MUST?

PixieMama

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this is on here somewhere, but I'm looking for tips and strategies for Hollywood Studios!

We (me, DH, DD9 and DD7) will be visiting WDW in October, and this will be our 2nd family trip there. This time around we will not be adding Park Hopper to our tickets, so we're planning on just one day at Hollywood Studios. Since we've been to the park before (back in 2007), there are a few attractions we know we can skip:

Beauty & the Beast Live on Stage
Studio Backlot Tour
Playhouse Disney Live on Stage
MuppetVision 3D

(nothing wrong with these, but as we're limited to one day and we've already seen these, I feel we can skip them and focus on other things!)

Should we hit Toy Story Mania first? Get FPs for ToT or the RnRC?

If you just had one day to visit HS, what would YOU do?

thanks!

i definitely think that DHS is a one day park. i would arrive at RD, get FP for TSM and then wait on the standby (so you can do it twice). then i would go get a FP for RNR, wait standby for ToT and then ride RNR. from there i would try GMR, catch Indiana Jones, Star Tours (if it's still open...it closes for refurb on Sept 8).

I agree with meriface11, except for Indiana Jones, I don't really care for that show, but that is me....

Star Tours (since they will be changing it soon)
American Idol (if you are a fan, this is an amazing rendition)
Backlot Tour (very cool to see what is in the works)
Toy Story Mania (by far one of the best rides from Disney in recent years)
Great Movie Ride (Air Conditioning and fun themes, on a hot day nothing's better!)

If your DD's like Ariel, Voyage of the Little Mermaid is cute and a nice place to sit and rest if you have time.

i definitely think that DHS is a one day park. i would arrive at RD, get FP for TSM and then wait on the standby (so you can do it twice). then i would go get a FP for RNR, wait standby for ToT and then ride RNR. from there i would try GMR, catch Indiana Jones, Star Tours (if it's still open...it closes for refurb on Sept 8).

Thanks, meriface11!

Yes, Star Tours will be closed the week we are going... but that's ok, as our DDs aren't big Star Wars fans (we skipped this one our last trip, too)

We didn't do GMR or RnRC our last trip, but I was able to talk my oldest DD into going on ToT with me (she was 6 at the time)... these are all on the list for this year! :woohoo:

I'm actually bored by a lot of the rides mentioned! I like them, but they're never "must-sees" for me--I would ride Tower of Terror five times in a row before I sat through Indiana Jones again, or any of the audience-amphitheatre performances. I haven't been to Toy Story Mania yet, but have heard it is THE new Must-See of the past year and a half; beyond that, Rockin RC and meals at Sci Fi Drive-In Theatre and the 50's Prime Time Diner are my only REAL requirements!

I agree with meriface11, except for Indiana Jones, I don't really care for that show, but that is me....

We didn't get a chance to see this show on our first trip... what don't you like? Our DDs were just 6 and 4 at the time, so I figured this one they wouldn't be interested in. The girls are now 9 and 7, although neither has ever seen any Indiana Jones movie.

Do you think they'd enjoy the show?

Star Tours (since they will be changing it soon)
American Idol (if you are a fan, this is an amazing rendition)
Backlot Tour (very cool to see what is in the works)
Toy Story Mania (by far one of the best rides from Disney in recent years)
Great Movie Ride (Air Conditioning and fun themes, on a hot day nothing's better!)

Thanks for your input, dismichael!

We did the Backlot Tour on our trip a few years ago, so I think we'll skip it this time around. My DDs are huge Toy Story fans and CANNOT WAIT to ride Toy Story Mania! :woohoo:

Unfortunately, Star Tours will be closed the week of our trip! :(

I'm actually bored by a lot of the rides mentioned! I like them, but they're never "must-sees" for me--I would ride Tower of Terror five times in a row before I sat through Indiana Jones again, or any of the audience-amphitheatre performances. I haven't been to Toy Story Mania yet, but have heard it is THE new Must-See of the past year and a half; beyond that, Rockin RC and meals at Sci Fi Drive-In Theatre and the 50's Prime Time Diner are my only REAL requirements!

Thanks, tinkrebell!

We at at Sci-Fi our last trip and loved it! Didn't have the best service, but the food and atmosphere was great!

We're going to give 50's Prime Time a try this trip!

our must dos at HS are:

TSMM (absolutely get FPs first thing)
Lights Motor Action (awesome car stunt show)
Indiana Jones show
Little Mermaid
Beauty and Beast
Fantasmic (we usually dont go to HS on days with Fantasmic since they are usually busier we usually just hop over for F! from another park)

While we have never done the Animation Academy at HS but we have done it many times at California Adventure and Im pretty sure its the same at HS. Its pretty awesome, they teach you how to draw a disney character and you get to take your drawing home with you.

We dont do RnR or ToT because my son doesnt like rides with drops.

What about fantasmic! ? It's the nighttime shownat dhs. It does not play every night sonyou would have to check the schedule but it's a great show.

Do your children like to draw? The magic of animation is nice- next to voyage of the little mermaid.

While not shows or rides, my kids (8 and 5) also enjoy the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and the "raining umbrella" (near Lights, Motors, Action Show).

We didn't get a chance to see this show on our first trip... what don't you like? Our DDs were just 6 and 4 at the time, so I figured this one they wouldn't be interested in. The girls are now 9 and 7, although neither has ever seen any Indiana Jones movie.

Honestly, I'd sit Indiana Jones out if your girls haven't seen the movies.

Personally, I'd run my butt to TSM and then get FPs for ToT and RnR. After that, I'd hit all the other rides/attractions you want to see. I think you have a pretty good idea of what you do and don't want to do in mind so you shouldn't have to spend too much time in the parks determining what to do next.

I didn't read all of the other responses so I don't know if you have an opinion on this but you should check out the Animation attraction! It's so neat and they have lots of concept art from future movies displayed. It's neat.

Have a great trip! :goodvibes

I think you can do everything at DHS in one day. The only limitation I think goes with the shows: American Idol, LMA, Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney, Indy and Beauty & the Beast. I just think you'd have to limit it to 2-3 of those. Otherwise, you should be good and you should definitely be able to fit in Muppets, it's usually not too long of a wait.

For me, as someone who hasn't seen Indy (the movie) either, I just don't care for it. Kind of boring, takes up a lot of time (especially when you're limited on time). So as I don't care for Indy, it's really just a stunt show and in terms of stunt shows, LMA is MUCH better, much more entertaining too.

We really liked the Lights, Motors, Action car stunt show. I'm not into cars much, but I did enjoy the show.

Yes, go to Toy Story Mania the split second you enter the park. Get fastpasses, then get on the stand-by line.

The Muppets is worth doing again; I wouldn't skip it. Same with the Backlot Tour, especially because you might get a bit wet and that's welcome on a hot day. I find the heat the hardest to take in DHS. I think it's all the concrete of the old Hollywood theme; the heat just radiates off all that cement.

I agree with Lights, Motors, Action - great show, fast paced, awesome effects.

I would also say if Fantasmic! is playing that night, it's a must as well.

Definitely go to TSM first and grab fastpasses. I think I'd ride stand-by and then get FPs for later.

My only other must-do is The Great Movie Ride. :lovestruc

Another vote for riding TSM more than once. It goes by so fast, like a 4 in ride. As Jersey Janice and TruBlu noted you might want to have someone get FP's while another stands in line for standby, then you might get to ride twice and experience changing who sits with whom.:3dglasses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!