One adult and 4 kids in a room at Pop - crazy?

FallsChurchDad

Mouseketeer
We are brainstorming options for a future trip with a mix of extended family, and one option is to all stay at Pop but mix up the rooms a bit. None of us have stayed at Pop since the refurb.

Everything would work perfectly for all other rooms for our group, if we can just cram one of the rooms with one adult and 4 kids, ages 9, 6, 6 and 2. All boys.

The 2-year-old-to-be already sleeps through the night just fine, and the kids should all sleep fine. I'm not worried about actual sleeping, and I'm not worried about getting ready in the morning. Naps for the 2yo will be fine because we can be in other rooms, or most likely out and about.

I am more worried about total space and exactly where everyone will sleep. Will any of these work:

1. A standard pack & play for the 2yo; others sleep in the queen beds. Where would we put the pack & play with the murphy bed down?

2. Adult and 2yo in one queen, 6&6 in the other queen, 9yo sleeps on the floor. Is there enough space to put a twin mattress anywhere, or is there space for a sleeping pad with a sleeping bag?

Or does this seem crazy, and we should just get an extra room for the group?

Thanks!

There is definitely not enough space in the room with both beds down to put a twin mattress, maybe (strong maybe) a pack n' play but you wouldn't have a lot of room for much else. I love Pop, but that many people would be extremely tight when adding in extra sleeping apparatus. I would look at some place with a pull down 5th sleeper, such as POR, those are built for 5 and you don't need an extra bed.

We have done 3 adults, 1 kid, 1 baby in a room. It works fine. It's annoying, but paying for another room wasn't an option for us. We also used a full size crib that I rented, not a pack n play and had a double stroller in the room that we didn't fold up. We were also on a 10 day stay, so we had A LOT of luggage and clothes. It's not ideal, but we spent about 9 hours a day in the room.

There is definitely not enough space in the room with both beds down to put a twin mattress, maybe (strong maybe) a pack n' play but you wouldn't have a lot of room for much else. I love Pop, but that many people would be extremely tight when adding in extra sleeping apparatus. I would look at some place with a pull down 5th sleeper, such as POR, those are built for 5 and you don't need an extra bed.
Thanks, I am sure you are right. But given the extended-family dynamics, I think it's going to be Pop, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. Most likely we will end up just getting an extra room. A bit frustrating to get two rooms at Pop when one room at POR/CBR would work fine for our family.

We have done 3 adults, 1 kid, 1 baby in a room. It works fine. It's annoying, but paying for another room wasn't an option for us. We also used a full size crib that I rented, not a pack n play and had a double stroller in the room that we didn't fold up. We were also on a 10 day stay, so we had A LOT of luggage and clothes. It's not ideal, but we spent about 9 hours a day in the room.
Wow, thanks - was this at Pop post-refurb? I assume you left the double stroller by the door, right when you walked in? Where did you put the full-size crib?

1. A standard pack & play for the 2yo; others sleep in the queen beds. Where would we put the pack & play with the murphy bed down?

A pack-n-play will fit. It may be tight quarters, but definitely do-able. It can fit in the space where the connecting door is/would be. It can fit in the entry to the bathroom. It can fit between the murphy and the window (which may not be ideal due to the drapes).

An airmattress will fit, but part of it will be underneath the murphy when it's down. That may be fine for a 9-yr-old (as opposed to a taller teen). It does block the door to the outside, so as long as you are comfortable with that (if you have connecting rooms you can exit through there).

Enjoy your vacation!

I think there is room for a pack and play in a Pop room. We stayed there last August and I honestly felt like there was more space than in a CBR room. There is room under the bed to store luggage, which helps a lot.

A pack-n-play will fit. It may be tight quarters, but definitely do-able. It can fit in the space where the connecting door is/would be. It can fit in the entry to the bathroom. It can fit between the murphy and the window (which may not be ideal due to the drapes).

An airmattress will fit, but part of it will be underneath the murphy when it's down. That may be fine for a 9-yr-old (as opposed to a taller teen). It does block the door to the outside, so as long as you are comfortable with that (if you have connecting rooms you can exit through there).

Enjoy your vacation!
If the air mattress is in front of the outside door, the pack and play will have to be in front of the connecting door, so there will be no accessible exits. You can't put the pack and play right in front of the a/c or heat.

No thanks.

Yes, OP, it can be done, but it will be very crowded and uncomfortable for everyone.

Wow, thanks - was this at Pop post-refurb? I assume you left the double stroller by the door, right when you walked in? Where did you put the full-size crib?

I think the crib has always went on the door that connects to the adjoining room (that we leave locked of course). And yes, left the double stroller right inside the door.

If you do get two value rooms instead of one larger room you may enjoy the two bathrooms that you may have not otherwise had. We have done too rooms before over a moderate or deluxe (cheaper and more room/bathrooms). And they have no problem making them connecting (although it's technically a request, not promised).

It also depends on your room configuration. I've stayed there several times and one time having an extra bed area would have been fine with how the door was, the next couple of trips that summer we had both a connecting door and the entry door was indented in to the room (angled) which meant less floor space in the entry and near the bathroom. I mean, you could do it, but I would personally go out of my mind.

If the air mattress is in front of the outside door, the pack and play will have to be in front of the connecting door, so there will be no accessible exits.

I only quoted one but OP posted 2 possible options -- 1 with a PnP and the other used an air mattress. So it sounded like 2 different sleeping scenarios, not using both extras at the same time.

You can't put the pack and play right in front of the a/c or heat.
Good point. I hadn't considered that. IMHO, the ideal spot for the PnP is by the connecting door.

Enjoy your vacation!

It'll work. We've done it with 1 adult, a 10yo, 6yo, 4yo and baby in the pack and play. Ideal? No... multiple rooms at AKL would have been ideal, but this was what was affordable at the time. I think it worked because we were out of the room a lot, and the bodies were small. Not sure I'd want to do this with 4 adults and a pack and play, for a variety of reasons, but you should be fine.

Is it possible for the 3 older children to sleep in one queen bed? Adult and 2 year old in other queen bed?
I know I slept 3 or 4 in a bed with my cousins when I was a child and we were all crammed in at grandma's house.
That would eliminate the need for an air mattress or pack n play, giving you a bit more floor room for your other 'stuff'.

Is it possible for the 3 older children to sleep in one queen bed? Adult and 2 year old in other queen bed?
I know I slept 3 or 4 in a bed with my cousins when I was a child and we were all crammed in at grandma's house.
That would eliminate the need for an air mattress or pack n play, giving you a bit more floor room for your other 'stuff'.
We considered this, but one of the 6 year olds is their cousin, so I think it's not enough space if any of them might move around at night.

It'll work. We've done it with 1 adult, a 10yo, 6yo, 4yo and baby in the pack and play. Ideal? No... multiple rooms at AKL would have been ideal, but this was what was affordable at the time. I think it worked because we were out of the room a lot, and the bodies were small. Not sure I'd want to do this with 4 adults and a pack and play, for a variety of reasons, but you should be fine.
Thanks, this is basically why I think it might actually be feasible. We're just using the room for sleeping, and the kids will be wiped out from park time / pool time, so they should sleep soundly. We did two adults and three kids at Portofino in Universal last year, and it was completely fine, but that room is maybe twice the size of Pop. So it's just a matter of floor space at Pop.....

I'd go the pack n play route because it's easy to put up and down quickly and easier to move around the room when open. Plus you can probably find a few different ways to make that fir. An air mattress only fits that one spot--smack in front of the door and partially under the one bed. And the air mattress we own takes longer to deflate and roll back up than a pack n play takes to fold back up. :) Plus, then there's no arguing over who will or will not be the kid on the air mattress---and with kids, the argument could go either way--they might fight for the bed or the mattress! :) Only the 2 year old fits in the pack n play so the others are all in a bed. End of story. :)

(Now, if they're like our kids, the only nights anyone even has the energy to express any displeasure with anything is the first night and after that they'd all fall asleep standing in the corner of the room if they had to. ;) ;) ;) )

Have a great trip, whatever you decide! One year we had siblings & a cousin together in a room and they had a blast! I hope the same proves true for your family. :)

I was just looking at pictures from our last trip. Our room didn't have a connecting door. It looks like there would be plenty of room to put a PnP by the murphy bed. I think the PnP route would be the best route. If you are only in the room to shower and sleep, I think this you will be fine.

Have a great trip!

I have no idea of sizes, but can three kids sleep sideways on a queen bed? The bed is longer than wide. Maybe get side rails so pillows don't fall off the bed in the middle of the night.

Could be a totally dumb idea, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

If the air mattress is in front of the outside door, the pack and play will have to be in front of the connecting door, so there will be no accessible exits. You can't put the pack and play right in front of the a/c or heat.

No thanks.

Yes, OP, it can be done, but it will be very crowded and uncomfortable for everyone.
Not sure what you mean by this, unless you think that POP still has the old floor units. They no longer have those ole units and put in ducts so now the AC/Heat blows out of a vent by the ceiling.

OP, If you need an air mattress for kids that age I would just get an inexpensive pool float and use that. It's will fit nicely by the bed and not take up much room. Remember, that once you just lean the mattress up against the wall your not really losing any space. Like PP mentioned the 3 boys in one bed or you, the 2 year old and the smallest of the other boys in one bed. I know when my DW was sick during one of our trips, I slept with both DDs in a queen and it worked out much better than I thought:laughing:

I will say that on one of trips to POP we had 4 adults and an infant with stroller and bassinet and we still had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter