Once you go Deluxe, do you ever go Moderate or Value?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
If you usually go Deluxe, do you ever go Moderate or Value for following trips? What do you base this on and are you satisfied if so?

We still enjoy a couple of the moderate resorts, CSR and POR, we haven't stayed in one this year because of the construction at CSR, and because the rates at POR have been pretty high when we have looked, and it wasn't much more to do YC. The moderates still have a lot of the features that we use and enjoy, and I actually like the multiple bus stops as then I can choose to either get off the bus close to my room or close to the lobby/food court if I want a snack or need to visit the concierge. We base our resort choice on what we want to do that trip, and the type of stay we want to have. If we are going for F&W then we will only stay at an Epcot resort, if we are planning on a lot of resort time then we may choose someplace like WL where we love just hanging out at the resort, if we are planning a trip with a lot of park time across the different parks then we would likely choose POR or CSR. We do not like the value resorts at all so we don't even look at them when we are trip planning.

We typically stay moderate, but in 2017 we stayed at the BWI and loved it. In 2018 we went back to staying at a moderate, POFQ, which is our favorite moderate because we were bringing our 8 yo nephew and didn’t want the added expense of a deluxe. As much as we love POFQ it was tough going back to a moderate from a Deluxe, BUT for us it is only because of the location, not so much the amenities. I think we actually like the amenities more at POFQ, like the food court, but the location of BWI can’t be beat, especially since we have no kids and Epcot is our favorite resort. We could just stroll over there every night for a quick drink or snack. So I think it depends on the resorts and your favorites!

Yes, I like to mix it up and try all the different resorts. In the winter time I book value resorts since we likely won't have as much pool time, in the spring and summer I prefer moderate or deluxe. When we go with my siblings and their families we rent a house offsite and stay all together. It's all good!

We've never done moderate - only value and deluxe. the length of our trip, budget, and what we plan to do helps us decide. We'll do values for quick (3-4 days) trips in the summer, where our main focus is park time. We typically stay deluxe for longer trips, where we'll have more time to explore and enjoy the resort. I love the deluxe for the proximity to the parks; busses are tough with tired/sleeping/cranky kids, so i can only deal with that for so many days before feeling too stressed. Also, budget does dictate this choice - we plan and save for the longer trips, but a couple of times, we've planned a quick summer trip and there wasn't much vacation budget left - so value was a perfect fit.

Absolutely, we stay at all levels. Depends on a number of things: how many people are going, time of year, how long of trip, what discounts are available.

I know what to expect at each level and set my expectations accordingly. We enjoy them all.

Last edited:

I've done one deluxe stay (AKL) and tomorrow I'm heading to Pop for a week (in addition to a previous Pop stay, and a short AoA stay), so I definitely can do it! Never stayed in a moderate, but to be honest it's about budget above all else. Sometimes I'll splurge on a deluxe, but I'm very happy staying in a value, especially if we spend most of our days in the parks.

In terms of offsite vs. onsite, that may be where I've gotten the "can't go back to offsite" - we stayed offsite during my two childhood visits, but as an adult I've always stayed onsite.

We typically stay moderate, but in 2017 we stayed at the BWI and loved it. In 2018 we went back to staying at a moderate, POFQ, which is our favorite moderate because we were bringing our 8 yo nephew and didn’t want the added expense of a deluxe. As much as we love POFQ it was tough going back to a moderate from a Deluxe, BUT for us it is only because of the location, not so much the amenities. I think we actually like the amenities more at POFQ, like the food court, but the location of BWI can’t be beat, especially since we have no kids and Epcot is our favorite resort. We could just stroll over there every night for a quick drink or snack. So I think it depends on the resorts and your favorites!

See I have 2 children and I always stayed Moderate before getting married. I love the food courts and my kids would also. When we stay Deluxe now it's pretty much just for convenience to get to parks and for saving time and walking too. But moderates are probably better for us in many ways however I chose Deluxe with a child in a stroller at the time being.

Absolutely! There are a lot of factors for us that dictate where we are going to stay: focus of trip, how many people are going, deals. Last December we stayed at ASMu as we didn’t plan on spending much time at the resort or swimming, our focus was getting in park time and doing as much of the holiday offerings that were available. It was perfect. Our next trip is at the Poly (4 days!) and we plan on spending a lot of time at the resort and Magic Kingdom.We’ve stayed at many of the resorts at all levels, and my absolute favorite is POR.

We've slipped in a few trips to moderates, mainly POR, when our kids were babies/toddlers/tweens and the smaller rooms fit our family dynamics just fine, plus a food court was very handy. We did this for a few reasons: 1) to mix things up and gain new experiences, 2) we were planning a few park-heavy days so didn't want to spend a lot for our room, 3) to save money if, for example, we were splitting the trip with an expensive deluxe over a holiday.

However, now that our family of 4 consists of 2 teens, POR no longer fits our needs. A food court is not important to us and we definitely need 2 queen beds plus a daybed in our room. So we won't be staying moderate for a while, unless we book that Junior suite at CSR (if it's even still an option).

For our very first family trip years ago, we had planned to stay at AOA. I found a deal that enabled us to stay at BWI club level for about the same price. My DH loved club level, and hasn't wanted to try any other level. I will be visiting POFQ this spring to help DR celebrate her sweet 16. We are both excited to try this resort.

Sure, we've never stayed in Value resorts, but we have stayed in Moderates (Caribbean Beach, Riverside, French Quarter and Coronado Springs). We mostly stay in DVC resorts on our DVC points, but there were a few times when we decided to extend our trip or we had used our points and wanted to take another trip that we booked a Moderate instead.

Yup! We've stayed at Moderate & Deluxe Resorts. The resort we stay at most often is Coronado Springs because we feel it is like a Moderate "Plus". It has a lovely resort feeling and great amenities. But we've also stayed many times at Yacht Club (Club Level), Beach Club (Water View & Club Level), Wilderness Lodge (Courtyard View & Club Level), Polynesian (Water View & Club Level) & Animal Kingdom Lodge (Pool View, Savannah View & Club Level).

While the Deluxe Resorts are amazing, we're happy to go back and forth between resort levels. For us we tend to stick to resorts we like the overall feel of the best. Our top 2 are CSR and AKL.

I cannot go back to value. I would rather go every 2 years and enjoy the resort vs going every year and not enjoy it. This September will be our first CL stay and only because of the extra FP’s. We like walking to MK and we really enjoy balcony time to watch the fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter