Old Navy receipt shows last 4 digits that are not mine.

rlk

DIS Veteran
I just returned some items I purchased about 2 weeks ago. The employee was going to issue a refund on the credit card I used, but the last four digits on both the printed receipt and the digital one did not match the card I used. The numbers didn't match any of our credit cards or debit cards. I was issued a gift card for the full return amount.

When I got home, I looked at my cc bank statement and saw the Old Navy charge on there. I called customer service and after many "please hold while I check" I was told that they can't divulge any information regarding credit cards. The y told me to either call the store or go in person to speak with the manager to get the credit on my actual card.

It feels very suspect to me and I need to know why my card is not on the receipt.

Did you pay with Apple Pay or something similar?

The Last 4 digits we see for Apple Pay transactions are actually the last four digits of the device-specific Device Account Number rather than the credit card number.

The same is true for Google Pay and Samsung Pay as well.

I just returned some items I purchased about 2 weeks ago. The employee was going to issue a refund on the credit card I used, but the last four digits on both the printed receipt and the digital one did not match the card I used. The numbers didn't match any of our credit cards or debit cards. I was issued a gift card for the full return amount.

When I got home, I looked at my cc bank statement and saw the Old Navy charge on there. I called customer service and after many "please hold while I check" I was told that they can't divulge any information regarding credit cards. The y told me to either call the store or go in person to speak with the manager to get the credit on my actual card.

It feels very suspect to me and I need to know why my card is not on the receipt.
Definitely worrisome. Check with the store. Could be an error, or could be something like employee fraud refunding to their own card. Who knows, but best to get to the manager as a first step of escalation.

Definitely worrisome. Check with the store. Could be an error, or could be something like employee fraud refunding to their own card. Who knows, but best to get to the manager as a first step of escalation.
]
I think it is some type of employee scam as well, that's why I didn't want to have to deal with the store directly.

Did you pay with Apple Pay or something similar?

The Last 4 digits we see for Apple Pay transactions are actually the last four digits of the device-specific Device Account Number rather than the credit card number.

The same is true for Google Pay and Samsung Pay as well.
Didn't pay will Apple pay.

I think it is some type of employee scam as well, that's why I didn't want to have to deal with the store directly.
If it were me I would start there with the manager and I would also call the credit card company to alert them. Ours is pretty good about making fraud right (if it turns out to be the case).

Call your credit card company. The charges are on there. Tell them the store wouldn't issue you a refund to your credit card even though your card was clearly charged, yet the receipt is incorrect. Once they get your refund back to you via your credit card, toss the gift cards away. You should have gotten the refund the way you paid.

Reactions: rlk
Why were you issued the gift card? I'm confused on that piece as to why you have a receipt with a non-matching card number for a refund, but you got a gift card. It's the cc number receipt that is confusing. I know stores will give a gift card if thry can't process a refund.

If it were me I would start there with the manager and I would also call the credit card company to alert them. Ours is pretty good about making fraud right (if it turns out to be the case).

I called Chase and the representative assured me that there is no need to close my card. The Chase rep told me to speak with the store manager and to call them back if they do not issue me the credit.

I am happy to not have to close this card because we had to close a different credit card over the weekend for fraud. Chase has always been great about alerting us.

Why were you issued the gift card? I'm confused on that piece as to why you have a receipt with a non-matching card number for a refund, but you got a gift card. It's the cc number receipt that is confusing. I know stores will give a gift card if thry can't process a refund.
They would not issue me a full refund because the last 4-digits on the receipt didn't match my credit card. They would give me the full amount on a gift card.

Edit to add: I was confused about the situation too. As long as my card was not compromised, I will deal with it tomorrow.

That is very strange, but I can't figure out what sort of scam would be going on. If the correct charge showed on your CC, then the transaction when through on the correct card - their system may have been having some sort of glitch that day that messed up the #'s that got printed on the card.

I bet an employee charged it to another card then returned it as gift card or cash and kept the money, criminals are crafty at being thieves. Report it to the corporate office.

About 2 years ago I made a return to Macys and the employee refused to give me a receipt insisting it would be in email. I let it go because Amazon does it this way so I figured it was similar. A week went by and I called the credit card co & I was told to wait, more time went by, still told to wait, it was Christmas return delays they said. Weeks went by and still nothing. In the end I was told to go to the store and they just shrugged telling me there was no proof and so much time had passed, why did I wait :headache: BTW, corporate office refused to intervene and Credit Card refused to report it as fraud. I realized what the scam on my own, cashier put it aside and made the return herself and kept the money, so that happened, lesson learned.

That is very strange, but I can't figure out what sort of scam would be going on. If the correct charge showed on your CC, then the transaction when through on the correct card - their system may have been having some sort of glitch that day that messed up the #'s that got printed on the card.
I agree, it is very odd.

If you have chase on line, download your purchases in the excel format or take a snip of the transaction details from online. Take this into the manager and tell them the credit needs to go to the credit card. If they refuse tell them you are disputing the charge with the credit card company. They will open an investigation and contact the store on your behalf. Sounds like a cashier scam to me.

If you have chase on line, download your purchases in the excel format or take a snip of the transaction details from online. Take this into the manager and tell them the credit needs to go to the credit card. If they refuse tell them you are disputing the charge with the credit card company. They will open an investigation and contact the store on your behalf. Sounds like a cashier scam to me.
What would the scam be? Her CC was charged the correct amount when she made the purchase?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter