Olaf & Andrea, 4/20 2018 A Dutch fairytale

Discussion in 'Planning our Happily Ever After' started by olafLover, Mar 15, 2018.

1. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

Yes! Friday is in the short term predictions now and it still looks really good! Maybe a tat on the warm side! Not a problem for me, but maybe a bit for Olaf. For some reason they have been really accurate with the predictions lately, but the predictions aren't what they normally would be that time of year, so I think we should just trust we'll have ridiculously good weather for the Netherlands (in general and in April especially), which I'm not complaining about!
    Good thing our party is in the cellar vaults, so I doubt it'll get hot there. And I'm really happy we can cut the cake outside (The ceremony room has really big beautiful doors which come out onto a courtyard, after the ceremony, we'll stay behind while everybody leaves through the door they come in on, and then we'll enter the courtyard through those doors with our cake standing on the other side of the courtyard)

thank you! Making the hangar myself was kind a necessity with those shipping costs! They were ridiculous! But I'm really happy with how it turned out!

So, the final stretch! We had the last items for the wedding come in last week and I brought everything to my sister (master of ceremony). Tonight we have a meeting with our photographer and I've only got two more days of work left. Oh and last week I had a fitting of my wedding dress and it fitted perfectly! The count down has really started!

2. AllThingsMickey4

AllThingsMickey4 DIS Veteran

So close! It's always a relief when you put the dress on and it still fits!! :woohoo:

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

Yes! I'm done with work!! No it's really starting... But something happened at out photographers yesterday... He came to the door, with a crutch.. He fell down a tree two weeks ago and we're the first wedding he's doing again (there weren't any planned), but... there will be an extra photographer. Since we already had a second shooter, this means we'll have three! A bit over the top ;) And the funny thing is, Olaf will have 2 when he's getting ready, and he wanted none (in Dutch we say, zeg je nee, dan krijg je er twee, which means, if you say no, you'll get two (because it rhymes)), this already applied when he got two bachelor parties even though he wanted none and now with the photographers. Im chuckling ;)

5. Karin1984

Karin1984 DIS Veteran

Happy wedding day! Will be thinking about your chateau party from DLP

6. MommyinHonduras

MommyinHonduras DIS Veteran

Today is the day, hoping all the family and friend time is enjoyed and cherished as your marriage begins today.

7. Woth2982

Woth2982 DIS Veteran

Happy wedding day! I hope it is all you have ever dreamed of! Have an amazing day!

8. AllThingsMickey4

Happy wedding day!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!! :bride:

9. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

We had an amazing day! We're now on our way to Hawaii and I'm sooo tired ;) It's really funny, because I didn't get tired at all during the day. I even couldn't sleep the night after, but at 2 in the afternoon yesterday it all came in one go. We went to bed early and... I woke up really early aaaargh! So still tired!

But our day was beautiful, the weather was so amazing we moved parts out side that were supposed to be inside. It was the hottest April 20 since they are keeping track. The only reason it wasn't the hottest April day since keeping track is because the day before was warmer.
    It turned out out photographer (the injured one) is a Disney fan (what are the odds and what are the odds of it not coming up in the two appointments we had?), which was fun. They also did an amazing job! He did much more then was good for his injury, but we saw 2 photo's on the camera and those were so great! Can't wait so see them after editing! The second one really had a fairy tale feeling, or as he said, the Disney feeling (loved that!).
    I don't want to post photo's until I get the ones from the photographer, because I just know they will be amazing.

Oh and funny story, probably because of the heat, two cars broke down (luckily not ours), first there was a friend on her way to the ceremony (apparently 2.5 hours early) and her car caught fire on the highway!! Her husband was able to stop it before it got out of hand with a bottle of water, but they missed the ceremony and on the way home Olaf's cousin had a leak in a cooling system of the car and they weren't home till 4 o'clock (at night yes)

10. AllThingsMickey4

So glad most everything went smoothly!!! Thankfully the weather was in your favor! I would defttake heat over rain! I'm jealous of your Hawaiian honeymoon! I hope it's relaxing and fun! :cutie:

11. Karin1984

Karin1984 DIS Veteran

Good to hear all went well, can't wait for the pictures :) You are so lucky to be in Hawaii right now, it's cold and drizzly again in NL!

(It turned out I e-know one of your guests who got stuck on the highway with the engine on fire!)

12. Woth2982

Woth2982 DIS Veteran

So glad everything went great and you had fantastic weather! Enjoy your honeymoon! I look forward to hearing all about it when you get home!

13. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

I tried to upload this photo while in Hawai'i but it didn't work, so I'll retry now :)

[​IMG]

We are soooo happy with the first photo's we got! This is why we went over budget for our photographer! More photo's can be found here: https://www.trouwdaginbeeld.nl/blogs/bruidsfotografie/trouwreportage-kasteel-heeswijk-andrea-olaf/ Can't wait to see them all!

We had a wonderful time in Hawai'i, each island was so amazing! We did a photoshoot on Maui, can't wait to see those photo's either! (We brought a big white flowy dress for the photo's on the beach and people thought we got married that night and kept congratulating us). Aulani was truly amazing! When the volcano started to act up we were still on Maui and my husband (Still sounds strange!) said, if we can't go to Big Island because of the volcano, let's go back to Aulani (which is funny, because we only went to Aulani because I wanted to go)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    marcyleecorgan and froggibabey like this.
  14. MommyinHonduras

MommyinHonduras DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh, amazing, beautiful. Both of you and that castle, great pick for a photographer.

15. Karin1984

Karin1984 DIS Veteran

Your night pictures are so beautiful, and did the photographer have a drone for that aerial shot? That's such a great thing to have!

16. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

Yes he's amazing with the night pictures, that's why we kept them at the party, didn't really care about pictures of the party itself, but I needed to have those night pictures!
    Yes, he had a drone, that was the one thing the injured photographer didn't let anybody else do ;) after we were done with those pictures, we left with the two other photographers to the field with the yellow flowers and he kept playing with the drone :P

17. Woth2982

Woth2982 DIS Veteran

Wow that photo is stunning! I am hoping to catch up on everything this weekend!

18. marcyleecorgan

marcyleecorgan DIS Veteran

Congratulations, what a lovely adventure to start your lives together!

19. figmentfan814

figmentfan814 DIS Veteran

Congratulations! Your pictures so far are amazing. The venue was truly magical :tinker:

I'm glad you had a nice time in Hawaii. We also had our honeymoon there, but it was in 2008 and Aulani was still being built. I would love to go back to stay there. We only went to Oahu and Maui while we were there. Looking forward to reading more!

20. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

Thank you all!
    We haven't received any other pictures, so I'm waiting for that to write more about the day. We're also looking for a new home, so that takes up a lot of time, but I will write up what happened!

figmentfan814 and froggibabey like this.
  21. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

We just got word from our photographer (after I asked :rolleyes1) that our book is on its way (to him, we'll pick it up, along with the USB with the other photo's). So I think it's a good plan to write about the days leading up to our wedding

April 18th, 2 days before the wedding
    I took two days for before the wedding for the last preparations. In the Netherlands you get at least two extra vacation days if you get married, the first one to go to city hall to announce your marriage (which you don't have to do anymore, you can now do it over the internet, so that's a bonus day) and the other for the wedding day itself. Olaf didn't feel the need to have two days before the wedding, so this first day I spent on my own at home. I'd had a manicure the Saturday before, but I wanted to polish my nails myself, so I installed myself in front of the TV with Netflix and took the entire morning to make my nails look as good as I could.
    [​IMG]
    After I was done I tidied the living room (my in-laws would sleep in our house the night before the wedding so they were there in the morning while Olaf getting ready, and, Olaf was getting ready, so there would be a photographer there) and I was done with the prep work. I just looked around and I had nothing to do... It was funny, last year we talked to a couple who just got married and they said how busy the last weeks had been, so I prepared myself for that. But we weren't busy at all! Everything was set. And I took two days of for the last preparations, but I didn't have any last preparations... It was all done. It kind of stressed me out, because if everybody says they were and busy and we were not, we must be forgetting something we should be doing, right?
    So I just had a relaxed afternoon of hanging around, saving my neighbors balcony from a waterfall (the upstairs neighbor was trying to clean their deck, rushing too much water trough the drain) or as the kid across the street said: "Mommy, those houses are leaking".