OKW Question

teacher31

DIS Veteran
I'm about to book a studio for our summer trip. Problem is, oldest daughter is undecided about coming. If she does, we'll be 5 and the studio limit is 4. I am planning on renting points from someone, as we're not DVC owners. If she decides to go at the last minute, will they allow us to upgrade to a 1 bedroom? Just trying to look at all of my options here.

Yes but you have to go through the DVC owner you rented points from and of course it depends on availability. You can't do it when you get there.

Linda

It is more difficult to change a reservation booked with DVC points than one thru Disney reservation. When you find an owner to rent your studio reservation from, you need to discuss this with them. If someone rents you a studio at OKW, if you decide to upgrade to a one bedroom, there has to be one available at OKW when you decide to change. The owner has to have those additional points available that they want to rent to you, and have it work with DVC cancellation rules (kinda complicated). I would figure out what size room I wanted before I looked for a DVC rental.

I'm about to book a studio for our summer trip. Problem is, oldest daughter is undecided about coming. If she does, we'll be 5 and the studio limit is 4. I am planning on renting points from someone, as we're not DVC owners. If she decides to go at the last minute, will they allow us to upgrade to a 1 bedroom? Just trying to look at all of my options here.

As a DVC owner, I would find it very difficult and unlikely that we could change your comittment. One of the restrictions of renting points from owners is the fact that it is something that is pretty locked in at the time of the contract.
It is best to know in advance, or consider a different option for this trip.

There are usually no free upgrades on points (and if there are, they are extremely limited based on maintenance issues). You need to go ahead and book the one bedroom villa. The member might not have the points to sell you at the last minute (plus they might not want to do it in case you don't pay them). The one bedroom might not be available for points when you need it. The only thing you could do would be to pay CASH for the one bedroom if it was available and the member would lose the points - so you would be out the cost of the studio rental (because you can't not pay the member or request a refund), plus the cash for the one bedroom.

Or forget about renting from a member for this trip and just reserve what you need directly through Disney.

Remember, the one bedroom doesn't have two real beds like the studio does. It has one king bed, one queen sleeper sofa and one twin sized sleeper chair. So three people are sleeping on convertible beds.

Unless you just specifically want to stay at OKW, look elsewhere for a studio that stays 5. There are several resorts that can hold 5 in a studio.

garjanjones said:
Unless you just specifically want to stay at OKW, look elsewhere for a studio that stays 5. There are several resorts that can hold 5 in a studio.

There are no DVC studios that hold 5. There are deluxe resort rooms that hold 5.

as others have stated if you are renting points, you really need to know what you need when you book, changing later will be extremely difficult and more than likely not possible.

The only option for 5 in a studio is a toddler in a crib.

Yes, four people aged three and older plus one under the age of three in the pack and play. But never five people aged three and older in a studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter