Where would you stay in February 2024 for a long weekend?

• Old Key West - 1BR

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Port Orleans - 5th Sleeper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caribbean Beach - Preferred

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Saratoga Springs - 1BR

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
We have a trip booked for February 2-5 and we are a family of 5 (boys ages are 3,6, and 8). We will be pulling the boys out of school to have a long weekend to spend some time together before tax season starts up for me. We have annual passes and DVC. We used DVC points to book a 1BR at OKW. Based on our maintenance fees, the cost is around $680.00 for the room. Disney has the AP discount and we could book a room at POR for about $850.00. OR we could use 8 more DVC points to book a 1BR at SSR. We've been to OKW and we liked it a lot. My wife's only gripe was the transportation options (our home resort is Poly and we love the monorail). We have never stayed at POR or SSR. Our park itinerary is MK the day we arrive, DHS our first full day, and MK our last full day. Is it worth considering POR to save DVC points and experience a different resort, use more DVC points and stay at SSR, or do we stay at OKW? Let me know what you would do. TIA!

I cannot make CBR not an option in the poll. Sorry for any confusion. I just updated the poll to include SSR due to a suggestion.

Last edited:

We graduated from hotel rooms to DVC 1/2BR with our family of 4 and never looked back. POR also has multiple internal bus stops before heading to the parks, so no advantage over OKW there, and of course the 1BR will have kitchen and laundry. I’d stay at OKW for sure.

Full disclosure: DH and I have stayed at POR as well as at Pop when out of DVC points, but it was only the two of us.

Have fun! I think that's a great idea, because I know the business and craziness of tax season-I retired last year after 21 years of supervising a tax site. I voted for an Old Key West 1 BR. That's the only place where all 5 of you can sit outside around a table and have a meal, snacks, or just visit.

What do you like better about SSR?
We haven’t stayed at OKW for several years, so I can’t vouch for the current state of furnishings except to say OKW was refurbed just before SSR was. However, OKW villas are the largest on property - probably the largest DVC villas anywhere, because they were designed on the 1980s “home away from home” model. Instead of a balcony with two small chairs and a tiny table, they have a screened in porch with a full size dining table and chairs. Even in February y’all might find it useful!

One drawback to OKW is that in most 1BR there’s only one entrance to the bathroom, and it’s via the bedroom. OTOH, the two entrances to the SSR bathroom, plus the shower door and the “throne room” door, create many opportunities for accidental door collisions. Could be interesting with your three boys! Check out this 3D villa tour of SSR 1BR https://matterport.com/discover/space/vCEmajWVGne And 1BR OKW https://matterport.com/discover/space/fR29WUziMTV

We haven’t stayed at OKW for several years, so I can’t vouch for the current state of furnishings except to say OKW was refurbed just before SSR was. However, OKW villas are the largest on property - probably the largest DVC villas anywhere, because they were designed on the 1980s “home away from home” model. Instead of a balcony with two small chairs and a tiny table, they have a screened in porch with a full size dining table and chairs. Even in February y’all might find it useful!

One drawback to OKW is that in most 1BR there’s only one entrance to the bathroom, and it’s via the bedroom. OTOH, the two entrances to the SSR bathroom, plus the shower door and the “throne room” door, create many opportunities for accidental door collisions. Could be interesting with your three boys! Check out this 3D villa tour of SSR 1BR https://matterport.com/discover/space/vCEmajWVGne And 1BR OKW https://matterport.com/discover/space/fR29WUziMTV
We stayed in a 2BR at OKW in 2022 and I remember telling my wife we could never afford such a nice stay on property at WDW (my parents have DVC and were treating us). After seeing the costs of booking rack, we decided to buy resale. I was open to an extended OKW contract, but my wife wanted to our home resort to be on the monorail since MK is our favorite park and our boys are young.

We are always trying to find ways to look at other resorts, but my oldest is very fond of having more room (we stayed in a 1BR Savanna View at Kidani after being at the Poly in a studio and he mentioned how much room we had when I asked him what he liked most) and doesn’t care as much about a resort’s theme. As his opinion goes, so goes my middle son’s. My youngest is just happy and excited to be in the World.

We stayed in a 2BR at OKW in 2022 and I remember telling my wife we could never afford such a nice stay on property at WDW (my parents have DVC and were treating us). After seeing the costs of booking rack, we decided to buy resale. I was open to an extended OKW contract, but my wife wanted to our home resort to be on the monorail since MK is our favorite park and our boys are young.

We are always trying to find ways to look at other resorts, but my oldest is very fond of having more room (we stayed in a 1BR Savanna View at Kidani after being at the Poly in a studio and he mentioned how much room we had when I asked him what he liked most) and doesn’t care as much about a resort’s theme. As his opinion goes, so goes my middle son’s. My youngest is just happy and excited to be in the World.
Uh-oh, if you stay in the OKW 1BR your oldest might not want to go back to studios! :p

One difference I just thought of that might be an advantage in SSR is that it has the Murphy queen and Murphy bunk in the living room, whereas OKW has the foldout couch annd I think the sleeper chair instead. Your kids are all small and have young backs, though, so it might not matter.

I will also give SSR the swimming pool advantage too. Two of the pools have slides, and two have splash pads, too, whereas OKW only has one despite having multiple pools. February might be too cool for that, but it’s unpredictable enough that we’d pack swimming gear.

POR was our favorite but haven’t returned since our DVC journey began in 2020. OKW is one of our home resorts and like it so much more. Don’t think the transportation will be any better at POR or SSR, each with multiple property bus stops. You have experienced OKW. You know it’s good. If not staying near Hospitality House category, might consider requesting near the South Point bus stop (#2 stop in the loop), along the waterway. We were given a one bedroom, second floor, of building 45! That end of the resort has the scenic daytime walking trail to the SSR main resort area, the treehouses, and Disney Springs. Plus sitting in a rocker at Conch Flats with a Rum Runner from the Gurgling Suitcase is ultimate relaxation.

I voted for SSR. I love the ease of putting the bed away for during the day with the Murphy bed. The SSR villas are gorgeous now after the renovation.

Our last stay there we were in the Grandstand section which seems far away from the main building, but there is a walking path and you are at the main building really fast from there. There is also the large feature pool.

There is also a really fun quiet pool with a nice splash area. When we were there the pool bar at the Grandstand quiet pool was open and we had a decent lunch there one day and could refill our mugs.

Grandstand is the first stop on the route, so coming back you just get off. Going to the parks it’s a bit of a trip. But you could walk over to the main building which is the last bus stop. We did that a couple of times when we just saw the bus we wanted pull away before we made it to the bus stop and always were able to still catch it at the main building easily.

These are so cool! Showed them to my wife tonight. She really liked SSR!
Uh-oh, if you stay in the OKW 1BR your oldest might not want to go back to studios!
Yeah, he really liked the 1BR at Kidani. He said he liked the Poly LV studio, but probably just because he knows how much I prefer the fireworks on the balcony compared to the beach or even in the park (mainly because of when they are over and it’s a madhouse to leave).
SSR is that it has the Murphy queen and Murphy bunk in the living room, whereas OKW has the foldout couch
The Murphy beds are such a nice upgrade!
I love the ease of putting the bed away for during the day with the Murphy bed. The SSR villas are gorgeous now after the renovation.
We couldn’t agree more about the Murphy bed made our Poly studio feel more livable during the day. We are really impressed with the pictures of the SSR renovations.

Tonight, my wife and I decided to switch to SSR. It allows us to try out a new resort, we will hit Disney Springs since it’ll be close by, and it doesn’t really cost us much more in the way of points. While the square footage is less than OKW, we really like the SSR 1BR layout for our family.

Thanks everyone for your help, advice, and suggestions!

OKW without a doubt. Been our go to resort for a long time

Tonight, my wife and I decided to switch to SSR. It allows us to try out a new resort, we will hit Disney Springs since it’ll be close by, and it doesn’t really cost us much more in the way of points. While the square footage is less than OKW, we really like the SSR 1BR layout for our family.

Thanks everyone for your help, advice, and suggestions!
Sounds like a fun decision trying SSR. Depending if have any explore time with those parks days. The boat transportation docks at Disney Springs, are close to the SSR pathway to travel to OKW and POR. Can even get off a SRR boat and transferring to another for the trip. That daylight nature path between SSR and OKW is a nice connection as well. Olivia’s at OKW is a great place for the breakfast/brunch or dinner!

I voted SSR. The ease of the fold-down beds, ability to walk to Disney Springs, splashground for kids under 48 inches, 2 pools with water slides, the playground isn't in sand so no sand in the shoes, elevators. We stayed at SSR in a 1 bedroom when the kids were 6 and 3 and had a great trip. The following year, we stayed at OKW. We liked the Surrey bike rentals, community hall, and full kitchens in the room both places. While I preferred the larger balcony at OKW, the lack of elevators and splashground means I will be choosing SSR until the kids are older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter