OKW/points question

bubba's mom

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=darko
My SIL wants to give us some of her points for OKW the last Saturday and Sunday of June. She figured they are 38 points. I would like to give her some money toward them, but she won't tell me what they are worth. Can somebody clue me in?? Thanks!! :wave2:

bubba's mom said:
My SIL wants to give us some of her points for OKW the last Saturday and Sunday of June. She figured they are 38 points. I would like to give her some money toward them, but she won't tell me what they are worth. Can somebody clue me in?? Thanks!! :wave2:

If you go to the DVC rent/trade board, I believe the going rate is about $10/point.

Ed

On the DVC points for rent board they usually trade/retail for about $10 per point. But that is the retail price,

If you'd want to cover the dues part of the points ( your SIL may be a long time member and feel the points paid for themselves a LONG time ago) the dues are about $4 per point. The "dues" if you're not aware are the ongoing costs of the resort and each member is charged an annual fee for their share of the running cost of the resort. It does vary from resort to resort, but $4 is a close enough guess, some resorts are a few cents less, some a few more.

If actually getting them to accept the money is a problem you could always take them out to dinner (if you live nearby), again I'm sure it's helpful for you to know a realistic cost for those points but as a best guess on it I'd say somewhere between $150-250 in the situation you've described. Obviously there is a difference between cost and market value. IF your SIL wanted to rent those points out to a stranger ( and she probably wouldn't want to) she could earn between $350-400 for those points, but there is hassle involved in it and she may just be happy to share out her good fortune to her relatives.

Just as a "for your info" if you could change your plans slightly, for the same number of points ( or indeed fewer) you could stay for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. Friday and Saturday nights are 2.5 times more expensive than a weekday. It would be no difference in booking time/admin/work for your SIL, would be a few less points used, and you'd get an extra night accommodation out of it.

the costs for OKW points is $3.011 per point - I don't count the property tax - that is a write off on taxes. however with the taxes it is $3.8519.

38 points * $3.011 = $114.43 - or $146.75 - see why she doesn't want to bother..

it is the Saturday that is so expensive it is 27 points - sun-thurs is 11 points per night.

thanks...that helps. we only go down for 2 nights (on our way to MIL house) each year. we try to use the EMH, so, our days to go aren't too flexible..(we hire a car from MCO to WDW, then rent a car)...so, with our work schedules and vacation schedule and EMH schedule (which I know is totally crazy and all over the place right now....) we kinda have to go that weekend. thing is, we are happy with a value resort...a bed and a shower...that's all we need. we're happy with that since we don't spend much time at room anyway. although the fridge would be nice, we've managed before. with codes and discounts, we can usually get the value for about $100/night or less....seems we'd be spending more (in HER points) than we could pay for the room. BUT, i see $3.85/point...i see that's about the same cost as the value for 2 nights. am i making sense or having a blonde moment again??? help!! :confused3

yes you are making sense - and yes it is about what the value rents for without discounts.

I like the swimming pools at OKW - there are 4 of them - and they are all heated.

get some shoes to wear back and forth to the pool.

with a studio you will get 2 queen beds. (the values and moderates only have double beds)

If she really wanted to spend points on you - then she would have gone with VWL - that is definitely more expensive. but it is a boat ride to the MK.

BCV or BWV you could walk to Epcot - boat or walk to Studios.

so she is not spending as much as she could.

have fun!!! okw is a very nice resort.

remember to take the bus to the MK - you can drive to the other parks - but definitely take the bus to the MK.

People on the rent boards rent them for around $10 per point. . The $3 and change per point is what it cost per point for your annual dues that you pay to Disney. 38 points isn't enough to stay the weekend in June its 57 points for the two nights. Weekends(Fri,Sat) are a lot more than during the week.

tinkerbee said:
38 points isn't enough to stay the weekend in June its 57 points for the two nights. Weekends(Fri,Sat) are a lot more than during the week.

staying the last Saturday and Sunday nights of June....SHE told ME 38 points.....and we're going to hit MGM Studios...that's the only park. I told DH even if we still pay the same amount (either to SIL or Disney), if we go with SIL (at OKW), we'd at least get a fridge!! :teeth: Like I said, probably won't go to the pool.....planning on arriving and going to DQ that day and then MGM next day......
THANKS so very much for making that clearer for me.....the whole point thing is very confusing to us!! :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter