Okay - how do I do this??

surfergirl602

<font color=deeppink>Well you're one step ahead of
Ha ha, simple question, right?

We are planning to take our first DVC vacation in October. So.... how do I do it? How do I make the reservations, do I do my own ADRs, any tips that I should know?

I usually "make all of our plans" but had our travel agent do all the dirty work. I've never made a DVC ressie before, and DH set everything up, so I really don't have any clue on what to do! :rolleyes1

I know I have to call member services to book, but other than that... I'm in the dark.

How do you do yours?

Oh, we plan on staying at AKV, not our home resort, so I can make the reservation 7 months out, right?

I feel like such a newb. :headache:

This is by no means our first Disney trip, but is our first on points!

Thanks so much!!!:love:

Yes, at the 7 month window, you can call and book a reservation at AKV if you don't own there.

However, what most members do, is book a reservation at their home resort during the 7 - 11 month window and then when the 7 month window opens, call and see if they can switch.

This way, if what you want at AKV is not available, you already have a place to stay and can wait list for what you want.

For example, I booked a BLT studio and 1 bedroom for our July/August trip at the 11 month mark. Just the other day, I called and switched the studio piece to BCV since it was available. Had it not been, at least I would have still had BLT.

As far as dining, you can call MS or the regular dining line to book ADR's...or, just use the online dining option.

Good luck!

Yes, at the 7 month window, you can call and book a reservation at AKV if you don't own there.

However, what most members do, is book a reservation at their home resort during the 7 - 11 month window and then when the 7 month window opens, call and see if they can switch.

This way, if what you want at AKV is not available, you already have a place to stay and can wait list for what you want.

For example, I booked a BLT studio and 1 bedroom for our July/August trip at the 11 month mark. Just the other day, I called and switched the studio piece to BCV since it was available. Had it not been, at least I would have still had BLT.

As far as dining, you can call MS or the regular dining line to book ADR's...or, just use the online dining option.

Good luck!

Wow, what a valuable tip! I didn't even think about this! We are ten months out, and our home resort is BLT, so I think I will do this when we get back home from Christmas vacation.

Online dining? Where do I do this? never heard of it. Is it better than waiting on the phone??

It is so exciting planning the first trip isn't it? We just booked 2!

I love using the online dining reservation system. It is so much easier and quicker than having to call, stay on hold, and wait for the CM to look up each restaurant, book it, and then give you the confirmation numbers. With the online booking you select what date range and time you want, if the restaurant you are requesting is not available, then it will pull up others that are that may interest you, or other times that are available. Once you "checkout" you are sent an email with the times, and confirmation numbers, much easier to keep track of when you are packing!

Good luck - remember the most popular restaurants book up fast, so make your reservations at the 180 day mark if at all possible - you can always make changes later.

Wow, what a valuable tip! I didn't even think about this! We are ten months out, and our home resort is BLT, so I think I will do this when we get back home from Christmas vacation.

Online dining? Where do I do this? never heard of it. Is it better than waiting on the phone??

Here is the website and yes, I like it better than the phone. You put in the info and it comes out with availability! It was very easy!!!

And just a reminder, ADR's can now be made 180's in advance. You can plug in your reservation number and then book up to 10 days from the start of your vacation.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

It is so exciting planning the first trip isn't it? We just booked 2!

I love using the online dining reservation system. It is so much easier and quicker than having to call, stay on hold, and wait for the CM to look up each restaurant, book it, and then give you the confirmation numbers. With the online booking you select what date range and time you want, if the restaurant you are requesting is not available, then it will pull up others that are that may interest you, or other times that are available. Once you "checkout" you are sent an email with the times, and confirmation numbers, much easier to keep track of when you are packing!

Good luck - remember the most popular restaurants book up fast, so make your reservations at the 180 day mark if at all possible - you can always make changes later.

Do DVC members get 180 instead of the typical 90 days to make reservations? Yes, I am so excited to book this trip! I can't decide which building I want, Kidani or Jambo, but I think we're going to have to go with Jambo, as my FIL will be with us and has two bad knees. Plus, the kids like to go to the gift shop a lot, and we use Mara a lot for breakfast and late night snacks. We will be on the dining plan. Do I need to add that when I make my resort reservation and will that effect making the ADR's online?

Here is the website and yes, I like it better than the phone. You put in the info and it comes out with availability! It was very easy!!!

And just a reminder, ADR's can now be made 180's in advance. You can plug in your reservation number and then book up to 10 days from the start of your vacation.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

Just checked out this site... where do I go to book an ADR? I couldn't seem to find it - just wanted to play around with it... what am I missing? :rotfl:

ETA: I just saw that the days out was changed. WOAH! How did I miss this?

Do DVC members get 180 instead of the typical 90 days to make reservations?
Disney just went back to the 180 day reservation schedule.

Many have reported with online ADRs. I still call Member Services and do it my telephone. You will have to wait for the 180 days to make ADRs, but it is never too early to plan.

Just checked out this site... where do I go to book an ADR? I couldn't seem to find it - just wanted to play around with it... what am I missing? :rotfl:

When you get to this spot on the website, then search for the restaurant you are interested in. A click box will be there on the left side near the bottom, I believe, where you can click to BOOK A RESERVATION. Select that, and then you can enter your desired dates, times, etc. At that point you'll also be able to then pull up your reservation information to link it to your reservation.

Don't call MS if you are trying to get hard to getting dining reservations. They may all be booked before MS even opens for the day.

Members get the same time frame as Disney cash guests. 180 days out from the first day of your vacation, plus up to ten additional days on the same reservation. If you book a split stay, you may have to wait until 180 days from the start of that reservation in order to book those ADRs.

Just want to say thanks so much to everyone that gave me such awesome tips and advice!! It's really been helpful and I've told my DH pretty much everything from here! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter