Ok, Swan/Dolphin or CBR - party of 8 - help!

Caitsmama

<font color=darkorchid>Closet Hannah Montana Fan!<
Hi everyone! We are currently booked for a party of 8 (3 rooms) in November for TG week at CBR (stayed there last TG) with a bounceback rate.. However, my DH is a state employee, and we can get a decent rate at the Swan or Dolphin (Swan is a bit cheaper) -- now we are deciding if we should switch or not.. there is about a $400 difference (Cheaper at the Swan than the CBR!)

I know we can't use DME, but we can get a van from FL Tours for $124 for round trip - which includes a 30 min grocery store stop!! So, that's not bad.. :)

I have NEVER step foot in the Swan or Dolphin -- so, can someone help me with pros/cons of staying there vs the CBR? I know there are no "food courts" per say at the S/D - correct? But from the pics i see, it looks like they have something similar..

How are the pools at the S/D? Seems they each have their own lap pool, but share a common bigger pool - correct?

Any advice is welcome!! :thumbsup2

We've stayed at the Dolphin as well as at POR and CSR, but not CBR. I would definitely pick the Swan/Dolphin over any Disney moderate hotel. The Swan/Dolphin are deluxe hotels with great service and wonderful beds and bedding. There are tons of dining options at those hotels and nearby. You can walk or take a boat to Epcot and DHS. There is good bus service to MK and AK.

The grotto pool is second only to Stormalong Bay. The grotto pool features a slide and a waterfall. Many people staying at Swan/Dolphin are attending conventions -- and not using the pool. So it was never crowded.

The Dolphin has a burger/ice cream place that we like. It also has a cafeteria style place that would be comparable to an upscale food court. We love Shula's Steakhouse and Il Mulino for dinner.

The rooms have a large refrigerator (larger than the fridges at the moderates). They charge about $20 to empty it, but it was money well spent as we were able to store milk, juice, soda etc. We ate breakfast in our room.

The only disadvantage I can think of is you can't get the Disney Dining Plan if you stay at Swan/Dolphin. We don't care about that anyway. You do get Extra Magic Hours at the Swan/Dolphin.

Upshot -- I would choose the Swan/Dolphin over a Disney moderate any day. If I saved $400 as well, I'd be on the phone immediately!

I think the Dolphin has queen beds and the Swan has doubles, so check that and reserve accordingly.

You may want to double check on the resort fees at the S/D. I think you also have to pay for parking.

My DH is a teacher and we can get a good rate at the S/S, BUT the daily resort fees and the parking fees ( if you are driving) really added up and it didn't really save us much money.

Ummm I am with PP- would have been on the phone already to make the switch! :goodvibes

The Grotto pool is awesome at the S/D, the food choices are great- since you aren't on the DDP so you can eat wherever you want. You can WALK to Epcot!! and DHS!! Woo!!

I would LOVE to stay at the S/D but it's cheaper for us to stay at the Beach Club this year.

If you are an SPG member, ask for an upgrade when you check in. We always pay for a standard room and get upgraded, once to a balcony room on the Epcot side. And has been mentioned, the pool is awesome as well as the beach area for relaxing.

Thanks guys! We don't get the DDP, so i am not worried about that.. as far as extra resort fees, those were all factored in my $400 savings! :) We will not be driving at all, so parking $ isn't an issue either.
The one thing i don't understand, is what do you mean they charged you $20 to empty the fridge???

And, i signed up to be a SPG member, so i will ask about upgrades when we check in.. :) As for making the ressie now, well, there are 7 others who get a "vote", i am just the one doing the leg work on all of it.. LOL

Unlike at Disney resorts, the refrigerator is the room's minibar. To empty it all out of sodas, champagne, nuts, etc, the hotel charged $20. This was a couple of years ago. As I said, it was well worth it to have it emptied so we could store our drinks and food in it. We saved lots of money by having a breakfast of cereal, muffins, fruit, juice and coffee in the room. We also used the fridge (it really is a nice size) to store water bottles for the parks.

Parking is very inconvenient and expensive. But, that doesn't matter since you won't have a car. The rest of the resort charges are no big deal, IMO. We always pay for internet service anyway. And, I like getting a paper in the a.m.

I would definitely switch! You are getting a better rate, a better quality hotel, and a much better location. You can walk or take a boat to EPCOT and HS. You can walk around the lake and have a variety of dining options, as well as many great dining options in the Swolphin.

The one con is that some have said it does not have as much of a "disney" feel. I really do not like the CBR though and feel that a resort that has me in the middle of the magic (with being in walking distance of two parks) to have more of a disney feel than the overly spread out CBR.

Unlike at Disney resorts, the refrigerator is the room's minibar. To empty it all out of sodas, champagne, nuts, etc, the hotel charged $20. This was a couple of years ago. As I said, it was well worth it to have it emptied so we could store our drinks and food in it. We saved lots of money by having a breakfast of cereal, muffins, fruit, juice and coffee in the room. We also used the fridge (it really is a nice size) to store water bottles for the parks.

Parking is very inconvenient and expensive. But, that doesn't matter since you won't have a car. The rest of the resort charges are no big deal, IMO. We always pay for internet service anyway. And, I like getting a paper in the a.m.

I thought they changed this to refrigerators vs. minibars....but maybe I was just wishing that to be true ;) Can anyone clear this up for me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter