Ok Dis' Fashionistas - Leggings?

Along with covering your rear end with a tunic, make sure that they you raise your arms, no one sees more than you intended. I am tired of seeing women in leggings (often sheer) raise their arms/sit in a chair and I get a big old look at black thongs worn underneath. If I'm seeing a black thong disappear up your backside, I am seeing your backside.

Whale tail!

I don't know why I'm just now discovering leggings, but I am and I. AM. IN. LOVE.

I think the main rule or guideline for leggings is that if you want to wear them, you should really lover your legs, because, let's face it, that's what leggings are showcasing, especially considering you'll be wearing such a baggy shirt on top.

I have very long, very skinny legs. Skinny jeans are still baggy one me. I unfortunately have a very short waist though & a post-baby baby belly that was there even BEFORE I had babies, lol. But carrying around 14.5lb of twins has made it a mushy mess. Leggings help me draw attention to the parts of myself that I like and disguise the parts that I don't like.

I hope this trend never ends... it's so easy & so comfy! Add to it the popularity of messy buns on top of your head and I have never done so little to look so fashionable. :cool1:

(P.S. I'm 32 and am a size 9/10 typically -- like I said, classic apple body shape)

I'm apparently one of those who should NOT wear leggings (almost 40 & plus size) but I do. Mostly as an extra layer under dresses that on my tall frame are a little shorter than I feel comfortable with. I generally like my dresses to fully cover my knees so if they're even skimming my knee I get out the leggings.
The rule about not wearing something the second time around has more to do with wearing it the exact same way. For example, I wore a LOT of neon the first time it came around. Like head to toe neon. I'm seeing the trend return & I can tell you that I will NOT be wearing it head to toe again. Maybe a scarf or necklace or one item of clothing in neon (in a cut & style that flatter my figure) but never again head to toe.
IMO (& I love clothing & fashion) you can wear just about anything. It's all about how you wear it. I thought I couldn't wear skinny jeans for a long time & then I broke down & bought a pair & realized they look great with oversized tops. I can't wear them with a short top & ballet flats but with a slightly slouchy top & boots they look great.

Biggest rule I can think of is...C Y A

I guess I break the rules, I am 41 and that's my go-to cool weather thing...I make no apologies :)

With the right dress, leggings can look very cute on anyone of any size. I think maybe what a lot of posters are reacting to are people who wear leggings and show parts of their legs that maybe they don't need to.

My rule is that the dress must cover at least as much as my shorts would. (I like mid-length shorts - they cover the icky parts of my legs and leave the nice parts out.) Done that way, I think it's totally age appropriate. It's similar to wearing colored tights, but warmer, and I can wear my flats. Also, those dresses can take me from early fall through winter (at least here in Gulf Coast Louisiana) simply by the choice of no under leg garments, tights, leggings, or leggings and boots.

I'm also short waisted but when I wear tights or leggings and a nice dress, somehow I don't look quite so short waisted:thumbsup2.

As you've had plenty of fashion advice, let me give you a little laundry advice: follow the label, and air dry your leggings. I am a lover of leggings--I basically dress like an off-duty ballerina, all the time--and it only took me one pair of leggings with destroyed elastic to realize that air drying was the way to go.

I'll confess: I wear my leggings as pants. All the time. No shame. (I am under 25 and am fairly fit)

I do make sure that my top is covering the majority of my butt and I always make sure you cannot see my underwear (another confession: I've gone without underwear before while wearing leggings).

I love leggings. My rule is buy your correct size. Just because you think your a size small doesn't mean you are a size small. :thumbsup2

leggings are not underwear and should not be substituted for such.
Furthermore, leggings are not pants and should not be substituted for such.

We have a plethora of girls at school who are wearing them "as pants" -- and not with long tunic-type tops or short dresses.

Furthermore, leggings are not pants and should not be substituted for such.

We have a plethora of girls at school who are wearing them "as pants" -- and not with long tunic-type tops or short dresses.

My dd is 13 and guilty of wearing leggings as pants to school as are most of the girls in her class. She will not wear jeans. But her leggings are more like yoga pants but skin tight ones not the ones you buy in the sock/stocking section of a store. They are bought in the clothes section of kids stores but still called leggings.

Wears them with normal t shirts and sweaters.

are-you-wearing-pants.jpg

Also on another little infographic (that has one objectionable word so I can't post it):

Wearing leggings as pants -- What you are thinking: "This outfit is so cute plus my butt is so hot!" What everyone else is thinking: "Where are your pants?"

Please match you underwater to the color ofyou leggings! I work on a college campus and see way too many girls in ultra thin leggings that should be worn under something worn as pants. Summer is freshman registration and each week I see girls wearing them incorrectly. From knowing what color or lack of underwater they are(not) wearing, to every ripple in their lower half.

I love my leggings in the winter with baggy sweaters (or oversized button down shirts) and boots. They do need to cover your butt, IMO, and I think they look best on people with slim legs.

My dd is 13 and guilty of wearing leggings as pants to school as are most of the girls in her class. She will not wear jeans. But her leggings are more like yoga pants but skin tight ones not the ones you buy in the sock/stocking section of a store. They are bought in the clothes section of kids stores but still called leggings.

Wears them with normal t shirts and sweaters.
Thing is, for every high school girl wearing moderately tight yoga pants that're just fine and I'd let my daughters wear, we have three wearing one-size-too-small leggings that are essentially thick black panty hose. It's not even remotely attractive.

We teachers have been joking that we've been looking at boys' boxers for 15 years now, and now the girls are catching up with something equally inappropriate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter