Ohana's Speeding!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't need to have that conversation. It's a pricey restaurant and should be run much better. (also, the food is not very good).

Why did I know that that would be the first response?

All Disney restaurants are expensive. That argument just doesn't fly.

It should be run better? Some folks complain the food comes too fast. Some folks complain the food comes too slow. How should they run things so everyone is happy all of the time.

The food isn't good? Maybe not to your tastes, but given that the place is packed every night, and lots of folks are repeat visitors, obviously not everyone feels as you do.

If you have a problem with the service at any restaurant, the time to make a complaint is when the issue arises. In the case of the OP, it is very easily handled to avoid the unfortunate dining experience that they had.

It should be run better? Some folks complain the food comes too fast. Some folks complain the food comes too slow. How should they run things so everyone is happy all of the time.

The food isn't good? Maybe not to your tastes, but given that the place is packed every night, and lots of folks are repeat visitors, obviously not everyone feels as you do.

If you have a problem with the service at any restaurant, the time to make a complaint is when the issue arises. In the case of the OP, it is very easily handled to avoid the unfortunate dining experience that they had.

thanks for the lecture.

I don't like the place and I've explained why. lots of others do like it and that's great.

not sure why the defensive tone. if i don't like a place, it is ok for me to not go there. it is also ok for me to say i don't like it. whether i complain at the time or not is up to me and independent from either of those things.

I think the food is great but its way too fast. Had to keep sending wings, noodles and potstickers back because they got cold sitting on the table waiting for us to finish our salad. Got hit twice with a coconut and a broom handle since we got seated on the "racetrack". We will give it another shot in a year or two but if things are not different then we will not return.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see why this has to be a problem. When our server wanted to start adding dishes to our table when we had just started our salads I just asked him to wait until we were finished our salads. He complied. Problem solved. :confused3 Why let it get to the point that it is spoiling your dining experience?

that is what i did the last two times i ate there.
the server didn't have any problem with that request.

we were all happy that each dish that came to the table was hot and timed for when we were ready for it.

At our last breakfast we felt a bit rushed actually.

Maybe they were swamped?

They're always swamped. It appears they are full every night and people are still clamoring for reservations. It is not surprising that they would try to turn tables as quickly as possible. This is usually what happens at extremely popular Disney restaurants.

If you know to ask the server to take it slow, you should not have a problem. Personally I think they are instructed to serve like that, either in the spirit of a "family style" meal, or to get guests moving quicker. Or both.

'Ohana is a Hawaiian word, it's not a name. But everybody writes it different ways and if we know what you are talking about, no big deal.

Yep, the key for employees at the popular Disney restaurants is to turn the tables quickly. More tips at the end of the evening and management clearly wants to run as many people through the restaurant as is possible.

They do the same thing at CRT now. They told my disabled parents to "Hurry up and sit down". Sorry, not our style of dining. We simply refuse to go to places like this where it's -- rush you in, rush you out, collect the tip and repeat.

Most Disney restaurants are now just like the attractions -- the keys are line management and quickly moving the crowds through. I half expect to see fast passes soon for popular dining venues.

Anyway, as for 'Ohana, once was more than enough. And, it had nothing to do with the pacing of the meal. It was the food. We thought it was very poor quality.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see why this has to be a problem. When our server wanted to start adding dishes to our table when we had just started our salads I just asked him to wait until we were finished our salads. He complied. Problem solved. :confused3

Yours complied. Mine had a big problem with the concept. Why, as a paying customer, should I have to play tug-of-war with the server who resists my explicit instructions to pace the meal more leisurely? I don't need that level of stress when I am trying to enjoy a nice meal with my family. If I could be assured of having a server who "complied", I might consider a return visit. But I can't, so I won't.

They are trying to turn the tables over way too quickly. We had the same issue.They dropped off all of the food at once, then we never saw them again. We were not offered all of the selections and we never got drink refills or anything. After they dumped everything on the table they kept coming back to see if we were finished. We felt very rushed, we asked to slow down to no avail. I will still go back though we do love the food.

Most Disney restaurants are now just like the attractions -- the keys are line management and quickly moving the crowds through. I half expect to see fast passes soon for popular dining venues.

I think you got this backwards. Doesn't the new fastpass+ system institute ADR's for all the rides?

I'm actually hoping our upcoming meal there is paced fairly quickly.

We have a 5 pm ADR on a MVMCP night and would like to make the castle lighting ceremony at 6:15.

I'm actually hoping our upcoming meal there is paced fairly quickly.

We have a 5 pm ADR on a MVMCP night and would like to make the castle lighting ceremony at 6:15.

I wouldn't count on making it to Main Street in that amount of time even if I were eating at Captain Cook's. You will have to wait for the monorail; ride the monorail; walk from the station to the security booth; pass through security; go through the turnstile and walk at least part way down Main Street. I would want to leave my table no later than 5:45, and that would be pushing it. You will have to be seated pretty much right away, which at 'Ohana, is never a sure thing. It might be doable. But it is by no means a guarantee.

I'm going to say that even though they might serve fast, there's pretty much no way you can get seated, eat, pay, and get back to MK in time for the 6:15 castle lighting ceremony.

I'm going to say that even though they might serve fast, there's pretty much no way you can get seated, eat, pay, and get back to MK in time for the 6:15 castle lighting ceremony.

I totally agree with this. You might want to bump that reservation to earlier if possible.

5:00 is the earliest they have.

Well, guess the castle lighting will have to be another night! Ohana does have great food, so it is still worth a trip even if they are trying to get you out the door.

:thumbsup2 My sentiments exactly. We are here now, will eat there next wed. We've never had a bad meal or experience there. Our server always adjusts the timing according to our needs - want med rare steak, that's what they bring, etc. Really love it :love:

:thumbsup2 My sentiments exactly. We are here now, will eat there next wed. We've never had a bad meal or experience there. Our server always adjusts the timing according to our needs - want med rare steak, that's what they bring, etc. Really love it :love:

Yes, right. Any time anyone has had a bad experience at 'Ohana, it is their own fault because they didn't manage their server or their dining experience properly.

We always book 'Ohana. We haven't been rushed there, but if we were, I would ask to slow it down, but we go to Texas de Brazil and it's close to the same concept. We have an advantage, though. I am allergic to gluten so they make mine special for me. The servers slow the rest down to match mine, I think because they work very hard at every restaurant to serve us at the same time. DD loves certain things (noodles and potstickers the most) and they even bring her extra bowls of them. There was a man hosting the coconut races and entertaining on our last trip. I will say we prefer him to the lady. She is good, but he is better. He seemed to make it more fun for everyone, not just the kids.

I really didn' t want to get into this again but. On Nov 7 we were seated at a great table at 8:30 right next to the windows. Great view, Wishes was over but still a great table. We got our bread. And we waited. Finally we got the salad. After the salad DH went to the rest room telling me not to eat all the wings! Haaha. Well he came back and no wings. I went to the restroom with the same warning. Came back to no wings! Finally they arrived. The noodles were cold but we didn't want to fill up on them anyway. So no big deal. We waited and along comes the chicken. We each get one piece. We eat it and wait again. The shrimp come and I don't eat seafood so they pile up shrimp on DH plate. As I watch him eat he says the shrimp are so salty he can hardly eat them. But he feels guilty that they gave him so many that he wants to eat them. REALLY stupid DH! Lol BTW I am still watching not eating! So along comes some pork. We each get a piece and I hate it. The old version was so much better. He says it is ok and eats it. Next comes our server Brittney and says are we ready for the fantastic dessert. I have to tell her we have not had any steak yet. She scurries off and brings us steak. I ask for more well done and she gives me 2 hershey kiss sized pieces. DH gets a couple pieces. The first one is good the 2nd is fatty. The dessert comes and it is good but we were so dissapointed in the meal we just wanted to get out of there! It was now 10:10 pm. Almost 2 hours!! Then the annoying hula lady stops us on the way out and tries to get us to hula. I wanted to slap her. :mad: Only kidding ...sort of! We have had great dinners here but this one was torture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter