Oh no my car has gone kaput!

Cochise

<font color=teal>Went last October and this Octobe
I have had Primera for 5 years now and it broke down last week for the first time ever! The ignition system is a bit knacked and would cost a fair bit to replace.
Instead we have gone and bought a Scenic but everyone has pulled their face when we mention a French car!! I am of the opinion every car is a one off that will either go wrong alot, a little or never and it is not 100% to do with the manufacturer. My family (Parents and Brother included) have had 6 Vauxhalls and collectively the repair bills could buy us a South Sea Island getaway, yet some people never have a problem! I was after an Almera but it really didnt compare as a family motor to the Renault. Anyone got experience of them?

Not been around for a while, i have been snowed under doing two jobs training to be a plumber with college and everything.

How is everyone?

Sorry to hear about the car...I wouldn't worry too much about the Scenic, hopefully it will be a fab car for you!

Sorry to hear about your car. As far as reliability goes I know in the past, in Top Gear surveys, Japanese cars are always at the top or near it and French cars are always at the bottom. We have had no problems with the Toyotas we have had and still have.

We have had a Scenic for 6 years or so now. Last December it developed a fault (I really can't remember now what it was) that cost us £350 to get fixed but before that and since that we have (touch wood) had no problem with ours. Last month it passed it's MOT with no problems yet again.

Hi,

My best friend is on her third laguna, they swear by them for quality and everything that comes as standard. They got the one they have now when the new model was released (51 plate) and had a few teething troubles with electronics, etc., its been fine until now but the gear box is getting replaced as we speak! It is 6 years old and has a lot of miles on so should be just age/wear and tear. We're very tempted by the scenic at the moment.

Lynn
:goodvibes

Hope you love your new car :thumbsup2

hi Rob :) good to hear from you !!

good luck with the new car ...... hope it works out for you, my friend has a scenic and its been a great car for her :)

Getting a bit more confidence with the replies. As i mentioned it is all about individual cars. I did notice some of the wiring loom in the engine bay without tape on which i thought to be a little suprising, i will have to keep an eye on it. My first day commuting today and it averaged 45mpg which is great for me as i think the primera average about 30-35. We couldnt afford a decent low mileage diesel as they sell at a premium.

Hi Matey, good to see you back:goodvibes Hope you and the family are well:goodvibes

Good luck with the new car, it sounds great. Im getting my new one in November, I have gone for a Toyota Auris:thumbsup2

Sorry to hear about your French car.

Maybe one day you will listen to me :-)

Well up until a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have said a bad word about Renaults as I have had my Clio Sport for the past 3 years, but literally I have had one thing after another go wrong with it, from the seats to the tyres and it has been in with Renault on 3 seperate occasions and is still nor right :mad: Up until now though I loved my little car and must say that it's the best car I have ever had (trust me i have had a few!;) )

My DH however is of the mind that you should only ever buy Japanese and that French cars are pants! :rolleyes1 We have a Mitsubishi and a Subaru before that, personally I tend to be like you and just think that all cars have their faults no matter what.

Good luck with getting a new car!

Hi mate, how you doing? have missed you :hug:
shame about the car, they're all a bloomiin money pit!
I'd go jap to be honest, they always seem to be really reliable and keep their value well. I was a devoted renault driver for years til I bought my lovely, luxury beautiful laguna sport, then got fed up with taking a day off every month to take it back to the dealers where it had to go for the warranty cos the damn onboard computer went wrong constantly.

(am now a swede with a saab, and loving it so far, but not a practical family car at all)

I have had a French car from new for over 6 years with no major problems (only major repair was a new front suspension ball joint). Dealer was the pits though - not friendly, never any customer parking, no curtesy car, even the coffee was rubbish LOL

Before the Picasso I had a Honda Civic - best car I've ever had - 6 years of faultless motoring and a very good dealer - car valeted every time I took it in for a service or MOT, really friendly, would pick car up from my work and drop it back again, nice free coffee :)

My DW has had a Vauxhall and a Ford. The Vauxhall Corsa was fine for 6 years until the starter motor decided to jam and melt almost the entire engine wiring loom! Cost over £500 to fix.
Then the Ford Ka she got to replace the Corsa had water ingress in the engine management unit and that cost over £1000 to replace it!

My dad had a Renault megane which had done 90,000+ miles by the time he sold and all he needed on it was a new exhaust & tyres, He has recently sold his peugeot 106 which was 11 years old with 100,000+ miles and all he needed to change was the tyres!

I had a Renault Megane Coupe which my dad now has. it has 70,000 miles and all that has needed to be changed was the tyres & wheel bearing on one side.

My mum has had a Scenic and she loved the car she had it for 6 years before it started having a problem with it, so they traded it in for an Espace, which had its problems but that was because the dealer didn't sort them out before it was bought. She is now on her 2nd Espace as they needed more room.

I personally can't fault french cars but as mentioned you could be the unlucky one no matter what make of car.

Japanese cars are renowned for their reliability but I now own a 2nd hand Nissan X-trail which needed a new electric window motor with a few weeks of me owning it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter