Offsite rental help

scoobert2

Earning My Ears
Help! lol. We are unexpectedly planning a trip for September (is that a bad month?) to WDW. We have never been but I have been reading about it for years. We are planning on staying offsite and I am having a hard time deciding what site to use to book a condo/townhome. I want something reputable and figured I should book asap as things seem to be filling up. I know some sites charge high fees to book through, so any recommendations? Thanks!!!

September is a great month to visit. Great weather and the crowd calendar is low. No lines at restaurants either. Searching via VRBO or Homeaway is a good option but booking through those sites is not. They charge a percentage of the rental to you and you get nothing for that. You might consider finding a place that you like and then asking the owner or manager to book direct to avoid the fee. The last poster mentioned windsorhillsofficialrentals.com which I would second. We are big fans of Windsor Hills and always stay there when we visit due to the amenities and the proximity to the attractions and I4.

We've used VRBO twice to rent a condo at Regal Palms. We loved the condo on our first visit 4 years ago and our next trip is this September through a different owner, same resort. We've also used Airbnb for rentals in other areas (mostly NYC) and have had positive experiences every time.

I only recommend offsite if you have a car or will use Uber. Second, if it is your first trip ever, I HIGHLY recommend staying onsite. Value resorts should be about $100/night or include free dining. Either way, first trip should be onsite. Just my recommendation.

The site to use is partially dependent on where you want to stay. VRBO.com covers virtually everything but it's also a good idea to see if there is a dedicated site for the particular complex you are interested in. We have used VRBO many, many times, but we've also rented a bunch of times at Windsor Palms using their own site (http://www.windsor-palms-florida.net/).

We priced staying onsite, but we have a large group (there are 8 of us) and it wasn't cost effective. We found where we can get tickets and van rental from undercover tourist and we have found some good looking condos at home away. There is just so much planning and I usually allow myself more planning time than this so I'm a little panicked. I'm just a little unsure....wanted to make sure those are all legit.

Thanks so much everyone!!!

IME, Airbnb is much less expensive than VRBO/Home Away once all the fees add up.

IME, Airbnb is much less expensive than VRBO/Home Away once all the fees add up.
I was checking into Airbnb and read some really bad reviews on them. Anyone had good luck with them? I found a condo that would fit us perfectly with them but now I'm scared to book it.

Normally I would recommend Windsor Hills. We have stayed here several time and love the resort and location. However, I just yesterday contacted an owner here that we typically rent from about the possibility of pool construction during our trip this summer. I had heard buzz about a pool upgrade here and did not wish to be there during construction on the pool. What I was told is that the majority of the pool construction is tentatively planned to start after the summer in the slower season beginning in September. I'm not certain how accurate this information is and honestly the whole tentative plan has me a bit worried even about our July stay. I was also told they do not plan to close the pool at all during the construction and only parts of the pool area would be unavailable during construction. Either way I would not want to stay during the construction but everyone is different and some may not be bothered by this. I just thought a heads up on the possibility of pool construction during your stay should be info you should have to make an informed decision about your upcoming vacation.

I was checking into Airbnb and read some really bad reviews on them. Anyone had good luck with them? I found a condo that would fit us perfectly with them but now I'm scared to book it.
Well...Airbnb is just a whole bunch of independent owners. So, the reviews you want to look at are the ones on the particular property. Our upcoming condo/apartment has 100% positive reviews and lots of details. I spend a LOT of time reading reviews and I'm totally comfortable booking with Airbnb. I only look at properties with 4.5 stars or more and I really peruse the photos and read at least half (particularly the latest) of the reviews. I think you're pretty safe.
I have also booked with VRBO and had a wonderful experience. It's just a LOT more money. Usually, the booking ends up being TWICE as much as the actual rental fee.

We are unexpectedly planning a trip for September

I usually allow myself more planning time than this so I'm a little panicked.
Had to laugh a bit at this. I realize it's your first trip, which makes a big difference, but our last trip was in January. I planned it in mid-December. I think we were just around 4 weeks out. I had no trouble booking a great townhouse in Crestwynd Bay for $68/night.

We use VRBO a lot, probably booked at least 10 off site visits with it, never once had an issue. Check reviews, ask questions, you won't go wrong. Don't worry about places filling up, the supply is much larger than the demand...even at busy times like 4th of July and Christmas. You will have endless choices, even last minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter