Official Superthread: SWGE Opening May 31st

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by lalasmama, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RedM94

RedM94 DIS Veteran

True, but I will still bet you a soda the line will be long.

2. Skyegirl1999

Skyegirl1999 1st pickle of the day!

If word gets out that there’s a chance to get in without reservations, the masses will DESCEND and that will not go well. That would go on Twitter and they’d have 20,000 people in line in a snap.

I don’t think they’d be that dumb.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Lesley Wake

Lesley Wake May the force be with you!

How many sodas? They only allow 3 per transaction! :P

rteetz, RedM94 and gypsy_at_heart like this.
  5. SomeGuyInOz

SomeGuyInOz Earning My Ears

You know, I'm worried that could be the case. Do you remember a post (I think it was here... or was it at Micechat??) a few weeks back that claimed to be an insider - they said that despite Disney heavily advertising entry to SW:GE would be by reservation only, they will actually allow a standby entry into the land anyway. I assumed that would be a physical line, but I guess it could just as easily be a virtual line - they could call it a trial or a test. It would be all over social media and people without reservations (and maybe even some with reservations for other times/dates) would be turning up trying to get in. But if they do that, then I think the crowds would be out of control.

Also, it would probably look much better for Disney if things go smoothly during the initial period. If it is just one huge, crowded mess it might turn people off the idea of coming to the resort in the near future. So I'm hoping, for PR purposes, they do NOT have any kind of standby line until later in June.

6. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

This is so true for everyone here! And this is why we are trying so hard here to make sure that this board is a place where people can come to get trustworthy information! There are too many other places where people can go to get rumors, opinions, fluff, fake news, etc. -- so we really want this board to be a place where people can count on what they read as much as possible!
    For those DISers out there who have opening day reservations and will be reporting back -- THANK YOU! Your intel will be so appreciated and will help more people than you know.

This is just scary -- and we all are meeting people like this every day as opening day gets closer. The amount of ignorance and indifference out there is really unsettling.

7. Lesley Wake

I’m a little worried about how many disgruntled guests we will need to wade through to get to the line for people who actually followed directions and made reservations! No matter how much Disney tries to put up signage and give notices, people will ignore it (ahem, fastpass queue backups), which could make check-in and wristband distribution a PITA! Lots of people complaining and holding up the line of people just trying to get their actual credentials!

8. Dixie1337

Dixie1337 Earning My Ears

9. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

And I'm a little worried (or more than a little) that "disgruntled" might be putting it very mildly. Remember how "disgruntled" some guests would get at F! when CMs would move the trash that was being used to save spots? This is going to make that look like nothing...

Lesley Wake likes this.
  10. cdatkins

cdatkins Mouseketeer

I am thankful we will be at Disneyland Resort for a week+. We are planning two mornings in GE: July 6 and July 9. I am planning to get up early and push ahead as far as I can, and the rest will try to catch up to me before rope drop.

ErinBoBerin likes this.
  11. NorthernCalMom

NorthernCalMom Mouseketeer

I’m looking forward to your letting us know how things go, since we’ll be there end of July/beginning of August. Thanks in advance!

cdatkins likes this.
  12. Lesley Wake

Yup. I think when it’s time for our reservations we will just push ahead and try to avoid the evil eyes from people jealous! Lift our wrists high-show the CMs we know what’s going on! And make sure to thank the CMs because I know they’re going to be dealing with a lot of crap for the next several months (and beyond)!

Castillo Mom likes this.
  13. ErinBoBerin

ErinBoBerin Never grow up

I was thinking about how early on everyone was talking about how Galaxy's Edge will bring non-Disney people to the parks. Well, I have two co-workers who are both in their 40s and have kids, but have never been to Disney. One is going opening week. The other is going later this year. The first one is going solo, but is already talking about returning with his kids. They've often made fun of me for my Disney obsession, but I guess Star Wars is all they needed to jump on the bandwagon.

smartlabelprint and Lesley Wake like this.
  14. twodogs

twodogs DIS Veteran

I do feel somewhat for the average guest, who is not on these boards or any boards. They may have just planned a DLR vacation months ago, booked on off-site hotel, and plan on getting tickets at the gate. They would thus have received no communication from Disney about SWGE and the required reservation. They may even be unaware that it will be open during their trip, or if they are aware, they may be vaguely aware but did not bother to go to the Disney site and read the fine print. Has DLR ever opened a new land but had reservation-only access? Not to my memory, so even if the average guest knows the land will be open, why would they necessarily think that they would need a reservation to even enter the land? I am not defending those who choose to go in blindly, but I also think not everyone has to research the life out of their vacation. And honestly maybe they did initial research, booked it months ago, and just plan on going based on the earlier information.

I think there will be some very, very upset guests.

15. EmJ

EmJ Mouseketeer

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I know SWGE will not be open for MM/EMH and that there will be no FastPass. But has Disney said anything about a single rider line? If not, does Disney have any historical precedent as to when/whether it adds a single rider line to popular attractions?

16. BadPinkTink

BadPinkTink DIS Veteran

I think you are exactly right

Over the years I have met many people like you describe. I have talked to people while waiting in line who have no idea about booking restaurants, and who think you have to pay for Fastpasses, ie they dont know about the free kiosks. I have talked to people who are visiting LA and only decide just to go to Disneyland a few days before. LA is a HUGE tourist destination and so many tourists come to Disneyland without any pre planning or research.

17. ardanxela

ardanxela Earning My Ears

Did anyone end up calling yet? I made a reservation and added my husband but he said he has no interest. My daughter would love to bring her girlfriend if she is in town so I'd like to change the name as well. Mostly likely it will just be the two of us going though.

18. Lesley Wake

Falcon does have a Single Rider line. It is designed as a proper permanent Single Rider Line; think Radiator Springs Racers, not the improperly designed (and never used) line for Flight of Passage.

I think the latest rumor I've heard is it may be open from the start, but we never know! They could open it on occasion but close it if there are too many people in it? Its an operational decision they can change quickly.

RotR does not have a Single Rider line, and part of the whole experience is the queue and pre-show, so a SR wouldn't work well with that.

EmJ likes this.
  19. EmJ

EmJ Mouseketeer

Th
    Thank you!!!!

20. Castillo Mom

Castillo Mom DIS Veteran

You make some excellent points. However, I was that person way back in '04 when planning my first ever trip to WDW. I was a total newb to the other coast and as a DLR AP holder, minimal preparation was needed to visit my home park. That being said, since I had never been to WDW and had the internet at my disposal, I did my research and learned the dos and don'ts of visiting the #1 vacation destination in the country. Fast forward to 2019, much of what we need to get done is web-based and there's a plethora of information at our fingertips. If I'm going to spend $$$ on a visit to WDW or DLR, it would seem that I should do some prep. Not trying to be judgmental, but I just don't get why in this day and age why folks don't check into things.

So back to the topic at hand. For those of you have don't have an official Disney hotel reservation but have one for SW:GE - what time are you planning to arrive at the park? Day of and at what time? I booked an off site hotel for 5/30 so I don't have to deal with traffic or parking. Thoughts?

smartlabelprint and LizzyS like this.
  21. JMommyof3

JMommyof3 Mouseketeer

Re: non-crazy (like us) Disney planners. Bottom line is that I don't think most people really care about planning. For some people, seeing the castle and "being there" is fine. I don't mean this to sound mean or judgmental but the "simple way" is fine for some people. When my family travels, whether its DLR (we are AP's), WDW, or Hawaii, we like to do new things and have new experiences. yes, tried and true is great but we like to try new restaurants, new rides, new adventures and not just same old lunch spot with the same old burger. Not everyone vacations like that.

2 examples of people "just winging it"

I have a good friend who is going with her family in July. They had no idea that SWGE was opening. I told her that by that point it would be open to all, no reservation needed. She asked me about the difference between FP and MaxPass. I started to explain mobile device vs kiosks, time differences (when you can book your next depending on when you get your first), and I could see her eyes glaze over and she was done listening. She basically said "yeah, we will just do whatever, it will be fun." They are going on a weekend in July, no parkhoppers and don't plan to get there at opening. They will just wing it and be fine with it.

My brother has taken his family about 3 times. They know I'm a huge Disney freak and go/plan all the time but never ask any advice about schedules/crowds, etc. When he goes, he just buys a ticket and shows up. If his kids wants to ride Matterhorn all day, they do. If they get on 3 rides all day and that's all they have time for, they don't care. They just go, enjoy it, and come home. No need for anything adventurous. Being at Disney is enough.

With that said, we have DLH reservations in June with our SWGE reservations too. We are toward the end of the reservation period with an 8am slot so I'm hoping things will have been ironed out by then. I just really hope the virtual queue isn't activated by that time (selfishly speaking of course).