D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, thats insane, and is probably why they have done the reservation system for the cantina. Although I can see ugly scenes, if the reservations are gone early in the day or people dont know about the reservations and try to push their way in

That's crazy. We were there on Saturday the 15th and it wasn't crazy at all. People were mostly respectful. The CMs that were guiding us to the Cantina made it very clear that you had to stay behind them to get in line for the cantina. If you ran ahead, you would have to move to the back of the line. Only those people who were behind them would be counted as in line. That worked. People stayed behind them and walked at their pace. There was a little jostling, but nothing bad. However, we were all the way at the front, and maybe that made a difference.
I do think there could be better ways to handle this. Make a roped queue that starts where people line up that is for the cantina only. All others can enter the park normally.
What time group were you in on the 15th? We were in the 11-3 and yes, the CMs made It very clear that if you passed them you would go to the back of the line. I was in the very front. No one ahead of me. And I felt almost trampled by many and ended up further back than I wanted (which ended up being not a big deal). People were pushing and shoving. Not to the extent that happened to the theluckyrabbit, but I was still concerned about my safety and was really upset people were acting like that in a Disney park. I’ve lined up for both the 50th and 60th anniversaries and never had anything like that happen. I was just glad that my husband stayed back with my kids and only I lined up for the cantina. I would have been livid if my kids got pushed around like I did. And the most frustrating part was it didn’t even matter! We still got a text to return within 35 min. One Man in particular who really pushed me and was very aggressive ended up two people in line in front of me. I hope it was worth all the bad karma. I’m still shocked at what we experienced and I am at a total loss at what theluckyrabbit had to go through.

I was in the 2 to 6 group. I did not experience what you did. Sometimes a few people with aggressive actions can cause that behavior to spread. Myself and my daughter were at the front. We had no problems. My husband was farther back and he didn't either. In fact a lot of the people in line were making friends with each other.

I was in the 2 to 6 group. I did not experience what you did. Sometimes a few people with aggressive actions can cause that behavior to spread. Myself and my daughter were at the front. We had no problems. My husband was farther back and he didn't either. In fact a lot of the people in line were making friends with each other.
I’m glad your group wasn’t like that! I talked with all the people right around me and they were all super nice. I honestly don’t know where the people who pushed and shoved came from. They were not around me at the start. It’s unfortunate that a few with aggressive behavior can influence others, but I think you are exactly right and that’s what happened and people panicked. It was really disheartening.

We did end up getting a table at the cantina next to the super nice mom and son who I was right next to in line. It was nice to see them again as they were super friendly. ☺️

I’m glad your group wasn’t like that! I talked with all the people right around me and they were all super nice. I honestly don’t know where the people who pushed and shoved came from. They were not around me at the start. It’s unfortunate that a few with aggressive behavior can influence others, but I think you are exactly right and that’s what happened and people panicked. It was really disheartening.

We did end up getting a table at the cantina next to the super nice mom and son who I was right next to in line. It was nice to see them again as they were super friendly. ☺
I was at the very front, and everyone that was in the front with me, we all were in the line together. Everyone up there was super nice. Made the waiting more bearable. When we felt the pushing, we think it came from someone way back trying to bulldoze their way forward, but then knocking into others, causing us to trip into each other. I didn't see anyone pushing at all, so I'm pretty sure that is what happened. I held onto a lady's backpack, and apologized for grabbing her, but she was totally fine with it. It was her 3rd time doing this so she was prepared lol.

I was at the very front, and everyone that was in the front with me, we all were in the line together. Everyone up there was super nice. Made the waiting more bearable. When we felt the pushing, we think it came from someone way back trying to bulldoze their way forward, but then knocking into others, causing us to trip into each other. I didn't see anyone pushing at all, so I'm pretty sure that is what happened. I held onto a lady's backpack, and apologized for grabbing her, but she was totally fine with it. It was her 3rd time doing this so she was prepared lol.
That’s great that everyone was so nice and understanding. That’s what I have experienced in the past with other Disney events. I think that’s why I was caught so off guard by peoples behavior in my group! I’m just glad that no one got hurt. But I never in a million years would have guessed I would concerned about my safety while lining up for the Cantina. Disney really underestimated the popularity and should have made it much larger. Hopefully things go smoothly with the online reservation system.

The 5 pm group was a near disaster. There was a "non-line" along the fence for Splash, which started shortly after 3 pm. Around 3:30, another line started along the river. Then, around 4:00, another line started along the ramp for HB. CMs did nothing, but chose to let the lines get longer and more disorganized. Finally, a CM merged the river line with the Splash line, allowing the river people to cut in front of the Splash people (who had been waiting a lot longer). This did not go over well. Then, when CMs began scanning wrist bands, they allowed the Splash/river line to start going in, but then cut off the line for some reason and let the HB line go in front of many people who had been waiting much longer. DH got separated from me by the HB group. Thank goodness we had already discussed this possibility and had a meeting place arranged inside GE. Once the mass moved into the entrance, things started getting aggressive. People were pushing and moving very close. I was being pushed forward from the waist up, but my feet could not move because of the tight crowd. I thought I might fall over. People were yelling for the crowds behind to stop pushing. CMs did not warn about not running. Every time the mass was moved forward, people pushed harder and closer. The vibe was not so friendly. Once the green light was given, people started the running of the bulls. It was a free for all -- people running, trampling the landscaping, one woman was jumping over the trash cans (seriously!), someone fell and almost got trampled -- people behind could not see what had happened and no one could stop or they would have gotten trampled. One woman lost her flip flop, made a u-turn (really?!) and almost tripped up several rows of people behind her. If you didn't run to keep up with the herd, you were a goner. There was no way to get out of the mass horde. People were cutting and shoving left and right. It was dangerous for anyone who couldn't keep up. I made the first cut off. by about 20 people. But later, about 15 people ahead of me, the line was cut off again. I went to the Information Kiosk to put in a comment about the lack of safeguards -- not one CM tried to stop the stampede or call out to people to stop running. The plaid told me that CMs are really worried about the Cantina -- that is their one big worry about tomorrow and next week. She said that management knows how to deal with just about everything else, but the Cantina. We saw the 8 pm group run for the Cantina -- a crazy sprint with no CMs stopping them.
Thankfully, the rest of our time in GE was much more positive and less stressful. Fireworks from GE were lovely.
Wow that is scary. I hope they get this figured out soon, we go at the end of july. I was telling my husband that maybe they should install turnstalls to get in and make the HB an exit only.

Please help with opinions about tomorrow, June 24th.
My family will be trying to visit Disneyland tomorrow. We would like to experience GE and ride the falcon. We really don’t have any interest in the Cantina. If the park opens at 9, what time should we line up for park entry? Any input would be appreciated.

The 5 pm group was a near disaster. There was a "non-line" along the fence for Splash, which started shortly after 3 pm. Around 3:30, another line started along the river. Then, around 4:00, another line started along the ramp for HB. CMs did nothing, but chose to let the lines get longer and more disorganized. Finally, a CM merged the river line with the Splash line, allowing the river people to cut in front of the Splash people (who had been waiting a lot longer). This did not go over well. Then, when CMs began scanning wrist bands, they allowed the Splash/river line to start going in, but then cut off the line for some reason and let the HB line go in front of many people who had been waiting much longer. DH got separated from me by the HB group. Thank goodness we had already discussed this possibility and had a meeting place arranged inside GE. Once the mass moved into the entrance, things started getting aggressive. People were pushing and moving very close. I was being pushed forward from the waist up, but my feet could not move because of the tight crowd. I thought I might fall over. People were yelling for the crowds behind to stop pushing. CMs did not warn about not running. Every time the mass was moved forward, people pushed harder and closer. The vibe was not so friendly. Once the green light was given, people started the running of the bulls. It was a free for all -- people running, trampling the landscaping, one woman was jumping over the trash cans (seriously!), someone fell and almost got trampled -- people behind could not see what had happened and no one could stop or they would have gotten trampled. One woman lost her flip flop, made a u-turn (really?!) and almost tripped up several rows of people behind her. If you didn't run to keep up with the herd, you were a goner. There was no way to get out of the mass horde. People were cutting and shoving left and right. It was dangerous for anyone who couldn't keep up. I made the first cut off. by about 20 people. But later, about 15 people ahead of me, the line was cut off again. I went to the Information Kiosk to put in a comment about the lack of safeguards -- not one CM tried to stop the stampede or call out to people to stop running. The plaid told me that CMs are really worried about the Cantina -- that is their one big worry about tomorrow and next week. She said that management knows how to deal with just about everything else, but the Cantina. We saw the 8 pm group run for the Cantina -- a crazy sprint with no CMs stopping them.
Thankfully, the rest of our time in GE was much more positive and less stressful. Fireworks from GE were lovely.

How interesting! Our family of four was in the 5pm group yesterday as well, but we had a completely different experience because we couldn’t have cared less about getting Cantina reservations.

We started out our afternoon in DCA to grab our AP goodies. We checked in at the Launchbay sometime after 4. We slowly made our way over to Hungry Bear, but snagged an immediate return Maxpass to Big Thunder. I’d say we joined the “line” a few minutes before 5. We watched others cut/dash, but it wasn’t the insanity you described towards the front.

We went on the ride three times, ate at the Docking Bay :crazy2:, had two separate rounds of milk (our kids preferred the blue milk but DH and I really liked the green milk), and window shopped. Perhaps if we were Starwars geeks, we might have been inclined to pay the outrageous souvenir prices. We just couldn’t stomach those prices (plus we dropped a bunch of money on Aulani souvenirs a week ago!). We also stayed to watch the fireworks and definitely enjoyed that!

1561325282617.jpeg

To be honest we were pretty underwhelmed by Galaxy’s Edge. I was hoping it would be similar to Pandora, but I prefer Flight of Passage and the entire experience (food included) at AK so much more! I’m glad we visited, but we probably won’t bother going back until the other ride opens.

We were there yesterday, 2:00-6:00 time slot. When we picked up wristbands, we were told there is no lining up allowed. We, of course, didn't listen (neither did anyone else). We did not find there to be pushing and shoving. People walked with purpose, but no running. There was one person who went into the landscaping to pass all of the people on the pathway. There's always one, right?

DH secured our Oga's reservation, with a 4:30pm return time. The rest of us went to the Droid Depot, and found the line to be really long. So we bailed on that, and went to the Falcon. The posted wait time was 40 minutes, but it only took us about 25 to get through. DS requested pilot, and the CM was happy to grant his wish. When we boarded, we asked the CM to take a picture of our party in the cockpit. He said that he couldn't right now, but at the end of the flight, the CM could take one then. When we asked at the end, the CM obliged but was clearly quite annoyed by the request. Our pilots were terrible, and I definitely felt queasy. I'm not sure if it was because the flying was so bad, or just the nature of the ride. I was a gunner, and feel like I missed half the ride because I was too busy looking at buttons. I wish the buttons were in front of me rather than off to the side.

After the ride, we went back to the Droid Depot. The line was shorter, but still long. I think we waited about a half hour, although I didn't time it. They were out of metal gift cards, droid backpacks, and black bodies for R2 units. It was disappointing that they were out of so many items when it's still just the first few weeks of the land being open. But we still had fun, of course.

Some people might find this information useful:

1) We learned that you *can* make purchases on Batuu and have them shipped "off planet" to the front of the park. Items need to be taken to the First Order Outpost (I think that's what it is called) no later than 5:00pm, and they will be available at the stroller rental counter 3 hours later. This does not apply to anything custom-made, such as droids that you build yourself. But we had one person in our party who bought a pre-made droid, and it was REALLY nice not to have to carry it around. I thought I had read on here that you could not ship to the front of the park, so I wanted to update on this.

2) If anyone cares, your custom-made droid in its box will fit in a "Large" locker ($10 rental). DS had fun carrying his droid around the land, but he was ready to store it after a few hours.

We also visited the Cantina. We went back at 4:30 for our reservation, and then stood in line for about 10-15 minutes to get in. The atmosphere was really fun, and I'm glad we did it...but I think once was probably enough for me. DS would probably tell you otherwise.

I'm sure everything will change now that reservations are over, but I wanted to report back about checking packages and lockers in case anyone would find the information useful.

Please help with opinions about tomorrow, June 24th.
My family will be trying to visit Disneyland tomorrow. We would like to experience GE and ride the falcon. We really don’t have any interest in the Cantina. If the park opens at 9, what time should we line up for park entry? Any input would be appreciated.
First the park opens at 8 tomorrow. From my understanding they are going to let people camp overnight tonight so I would try and be there as early as feasibly possible tomorrow before park opening.

It was disappointing that they were out of so many items when it's still just the first few weeks of the land being open. But we still had fun, of course.
I was a little bummed too about the droid backpacks being sold out. Also, there weren't any purple R2 styles left for the droids, which is the color I originally wanted. I knew from some reports that colors were selling out, so I chose other color combos that I liked. And if they ever restock the droid backpacks, I can pick one up on a different trip. Although I know that can be hard or impossible if there is your first/only trip, or if you don't come very often.

I was a little bummed too about the droid backpacks being sold out. Also, there weren't any purple R2 styles left for the droids, which is the color I originally wanted. I knew from some reports that colors were selling out, so I chose other color combos that I liked. And if they ever restock the droid backpacks, I can pick one up on a different trip. Although I know that can be hard or impossible if there is your first/only trip, or if you don't come very often.
I also think the stock is changing on a day-to-day basis. For the droids, this morning I chatted with a woman who had a purple BB unit. She said the previous day those had been all sold out so she was excited to see them today. One of her friends also appeared to have a new purple R2 unit.

Something I’ve liked about the land is how the merch CMs don’t restock the same way with large carts or boxes like they do in the other DL stores. Instead they take smaller loads of items in canvas bags. I saw one guy use a shoulder bag to continually bring merch out from the back room of the Droid Depot, rather than just carry huge boxes through. And another CM had a HUGE duffel full of Loth Cats (I mean there must have been 30 in there). It helps continue the illusion of a lived in land.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info on this thread! We visited twice on Friday, June 21st- 11am-3pm group (free reservation) and 8pm-midnight group (hotel reservation). Our group was myself, my 3 DDs (14, 10 and 8), MIL (for 11-3 only) and a good friend of mine. Although DH is the most excited I've ever seen him for anything at Disney about SWGE, he was not able to join us for this trip. I am not a superfan with encyclopedic knowledge of everything Star Wars but am well beyond a casual fan as well. MIL is a casual fan, DD's are a little more than casual fans. Friend is closer to a superfan than I am. We did not want to do Savi's but wanted to do everything else.

11am-3pm Reservation
Our priority for this reservation slot was Oga's Cantina since we figured if we didn't get in we could try again in our evening slot. I was the designated cantina line person and posted previously about my successful obtaining of a 2pm reservation so I won't rehash that again. Although entry to the land was pretty orderly for our reservation window it was still quite a crush of people and DD10 got a little panicked but was able to calm down once they pulled off to the side for a bit (I was off in the cantina line). Once people spread out a bit things weren't too bad. We knew we didn't want to hit the ride right away since the line would be at its peak so we decided to get some lunch. I mobile ordered from both Ronto's and Docking Bay as people were interested in different items and we actually managed to snag a big table in Docking Bay. Some people in our party had a hard time finding something they were interested in (especially DD14 who is Gluten Free- only options were the Yobshrimp and Tip-Yip salads, neither of which appealed to her. She decided to just eat the insides of a Ronto Wrap instead as some gluten contamination is not an issue for her. It would have been nice if there was an option to order this without the pita and perhaps we could have at the counter but we couldn't do it in the app as a mobile order. Ultimately everyone did enjoy what they ordered. Half of us had Ronto Wraps and the rest had either the kid or adult version of the Fried Tip-Yip. I though the Ronto Wrap was delicious! I loved the theming inside Docking Bay!

The line had died down enough that we decided it was time to go on MF:SR. Posted wait time was 25 minutes. Based on my photos it was 31 minutes from walking into the queue to sitting in the cockpit but it felt faster than that. Conveniently we had a full crew of 6. The whole queue is pretty awesome but we especially enjoyed the holding room before you board. We let DD8 & DD10 pilot for our first ride so it was a little...rough. We all loved the ride and wanted to go again after a bathroom run. Over the course of the bathroom run we encountered Kylo Ren walking around with some storm troopers as well as a First Order officer (also with troopers). He gave me a hard time about my Rey shirt with a prominent rebel symbol but I told him it was just my cover. Rode again with even less wait and managed to do even worse this time (the voice in the hallway said it was practically scrap metal this time :oops:) but we still loved it.

It was now about time for our Cantina return. We really enjoyed the vibe in Oga's and I loved DJ-R3X. That said, the kids were melting a bit at this point so we enjoyed our drinks but didn't stay super long. It's not that its not kid-friendly, I think they just got bored. My friend and I could have stayed longer but it was clear we needed to move on. At that point we headed to the marketplace (DD10 was sad there were no Loth Cats but I was kind of expecting that) and poked around in the shops there, tried Kat Saka's Kettle (meh. It was ok) then slowly made our way out (as it was now after 3pm) through the Resistance area. Who do we come across but Chewbacca coming out to fix the smoking X-Wing. We hung out and watched him work on that with a CM for a while and then Rey showed up as well. They showed a bunch of guests (kids and adults) how to pass messages for the resistance (basically led everyone in a game of telephone. The round where Chewie started the message was especially entertaining). Once they had a successful pass of the message Chewie and Rey led everyone in pledging to the resistance. It was a pretty fun little interaction and nice end to this visit.

8pm-midnight Reservation
We had pretty much accomplished everything we wanted to during our earlier reservation with the exception of building droids, which we had purposely left for the evening so we didn't have to carry them around, and one more ride on MF:SR so we all would have done each position. Because we weren't trying to get any reservations or anything we decided to just wait it out a bit and enter later after the initial crush. This worked out well and was much more pleasant. We had also hoped to watch the fireworks over the Falcon but unfortunately they didn't run Friday night. We LOVED the way the land looks at night. We saw Rey again (this time in her Force Awakens outfit. She was in the Last Jedi one when we saw her in the afternoon) in the Resistance area on our way in then wandered through the marketplace again which looks AWESOME at night. It was a little less crowded then when we were in their earlier.

Kids were itching to build droids so we headed to Droid Depot. We waited maybe 10 minutes and while we were in line they told us all the colors/parts they were out of (which was quite a few- purple/white BB bodies, red/black BB bodies, orange BB head, white and black R2 bodies, silver/blue classic R2 head and some thing else.. can't remember). DD10 decided on a purple and black BB and DD8 a blue R2 with a purple head (which was good 'cause if they'd both built the same kind then I would have had to build one of the other ;)). They really enjoyed building their droids- this is a very cool experience. The droids are pretty fun to play with as well. DD14 was happy to see parts of K2-SO in Droid Depot- she loves him.

After droid building we went into Dok-Ondar's to poke around and I bought a Jedi holocron and kyber crystal. Lots to see inside Dok-Ondar's that doesn't even include merchandise but the space is small so it was hard to take in everything as it was crowded. Then it was time for one more ride on MF:SR. We did the best this time (I finally got to be a pilot! So fun! I think it also helped that we'd done it a few times now). I loved that the ride adjusts the visuals depending on whether its day or night outside!

We saw others playing with their droids a bit so we did let the girls pull theirs out and play a little outside the Falcon. Chewbacca came out over in that area as well as we were getting ready to leave. We could have gone on the ride again but we hadn't done much outside of SWGE and did have 11:30-12 MP's for BTMRR which everyone wanted to ride so we decided it was time to go and ride that on the way out of the park.

Overall, we all LOVED Galaxy's Edge and thought they did a great job with the theming. I cannot wait to go back when ROTR is open (or maybe before) but I think it will be interesting to see how crowds etc. go over the next weeks and months. I do feel like a lot of the shops and spaces (including the cantina) are pretty small. This makes for a nice intimate feel everywhere but it's not gonna handle crowds well.

We really loved the ride and could definitely see it being one we would ride over and over. I think its interesting that there's such a mixed response to the ride- but for us it was a definite win!

I did play around some with the datapad in the Play Disney Parks app. It was interesting but a definite battery suck. I think its something I would use more on subsequent visits when I wasn't just trying to see everything for the first time. It seems promising though!

Several CM comments left us with the impression that they were holding back merchandise for tomorrow/end of the reservation period. They only had blue kyber crystals at Dok-Ondar's, lots of unavailable droid parts, NO droid personality chips, no loth cats or the monkey critters etc. While I know nothing is guaranteed this was a little disappointing for sure.

I also think they're going to have to work on some of the unique terms for things as others have mentioned. My friend was asked if she had a "credit reducer" when purchasing something at the Droid Depot. She had them repeat several times and finally just said she didn't know what they were talking about. The CM then said in a slightly exasperated voice "an annual pass". I think this may especially be an issue for guests for whom English isn't their first language. I do appreciate the concept of this but it seems a little forced or convoluted at the moment.

We were in the 8am reservation group on 6/21. First of all, I really appreciate all of the reports and strategies from this thread. It all helped so much. The Cantina was our priority so we got to the park right at 6, there was already a significant amount of people at the gate, but luckily by the time we were through launch bay we were right at the front of where they held us by the subs. The walk over to Galaxy's Edge was stressful- we didn't experience any outright pushing and shoving but lots of people tried to "cut" and power their way to the front. When we got to the land and the CMs started scanning our wristbands, it was almost pandemonium, with people shoving their wrists in front of me and other people trying to get scanned first.

Thanks to this thread I knew to keep right for the Cantina. It was all a bit of a cluster but we managed to be one of the first groups in! We got super lucky because maybe ~10 people behind us is where they cut the line and started handing out return times.

The Cantina was amazing- we got a standing table right by DJ R3X, which I loved. I could've stayed there all day. The music was great too! I hope they release the playlist. Even though it was 8am we both wanted to try the drinks. We got the Jedi Mind Trick, Fuzzy Tauntaun, Slugslinger, and the Skyhopper. The Tauntuan is really good, the foam made my lips buzz like crazy, it was wild. The Slugslinger was pretty strong but the others weren't. They were all good though.

After we regrettably left the Cantina we tried blue and green milk, I was preparing not to like either but I really liked the blue milk. It's not anything special but it's certainly not bad, imo. The green milk however was gross, it had an "earthy" taste to it and I hate earthy tastes.

We rode the falcon twice once the line died down a bit, and we basically walked on both times. We could've ridden more but we both got the chance to be pilots and I didnt feel like the ride had enough re-ride value to try the other positions. The second time it was just us two in the cockpit since they didn't have any other people behind us. That was great.

The ride itself is fun, and the queue is great. It's not a showstopper but it's a lot of fun. I'm excited to see what Rise of the Resistance is going to be like.

We spent the rest of the time wandering around and enjoying the theming. Disney really did a great job with this one. When we left, I was struck by how much I had forgotten we were even in Disneyland. It's so immersive. That being said I do give the edge to Pandora as far as immersion goes. But Galaxy's Edge is no slouch. I'm not a star wars fan by any means, but I loved this experience so much.

Our mad dash morning ruined our "first look" and I wish we'd been able to go a little slower and enjoy our first impressions. But that wasn't in the cards with trying to get into the Cantina. Other than that, the morning was perfect.

I’ll be watching this thread closely over the next few weeks. We were able to experience GE four times during the reservation period, but now that it’s opening to the public it’ll be a different ballgame so we’ll need to adjust our strategy.

I also think the stock is changing on a day-to-day basis. For the droids, this morning I chatted with a woman who had a purple BB unit. She said the previous day those had been all sold out so she was excited to see them today. One of her friends also appeared to have a new purple R2 unit.

Something I’ve liked about the land is how the merch CMs don’t restock the same way with large carts or boxes like they do in the other DL stores. Instead they take smaller loads of items in canvas bags. I saw one guy use a shoulder bag to continually bring merch out from the back room of the Droid Depot, rather than just carry huge boxes through. And another CM had a HUGE duffel full of Loth Cats (I mean there must have been 30 in there). It helps continue the illusion of a lived in land.
That's what I figured. I had color combo ideas in my head before getting there just in case purple was gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter