Official Goofy 2018 Thread

JClimacus

Mouseketeer
I didn't see one so why not?

And why Goofy instead of Dopey? Not that I've got anything against Dopey. But for me, I obsess about managing my eating and physical activity in the runup to a major run like a marathon. So I don't truly enjoy Disney prior to race day; I can't wear myself out in the parks or eat the Mickey ice cream sandwiches. After the half (with my daughter) on Saturday I rest up at the resort for the marathon on Sunday. Then, after the marathon, it's a few days of rewarding myself with fun in the parks and guilt-free, uncontrolled eating. Four days of worrying about rest and eating would just drive me crazy.

I'm in for Goofy too. When the dates are that close to the start of the year it makes doing Dopey tough for me at work. Have to wait until it moves back some to do it again maybe.

Goofy for me as well. I was supposed to run my first half and rD event this year but ended up doing the full after the half was canceled. I was obviously not prepared for a full marathon and was struggling at the end but got through it. Didn't totally enjoy the experience worrying about being swept so this will be my do-over. Figured I have 11 months to train and will run the half for time and the full for fun...or the other way around. Depends on how the training goes. :)

I will also be running the 5k with my daughter. I know I am one race away from the Dopey but like @JClimacus said, I'd like to also enjoy the parks and the Mickey ice cream sandwiches!

Goofy for me as well. I was supposed to run my first half and rD event this year but ended up doing the full after the half was canceled. I was obviously not prepared for a full marathon and was struggling at the end but got through it. Didn't totally enjoy the experience worrying about being swept so this will be my do-over. Figured I have 11 months to train and will run the half for time and the full for fun...or the other way around. Depends on how the training goes. :)

I will also be running the 5k with my daughter. I know I am one race away from the Dopey but like @JClimacus said, I'd like to also enjoy the parks and the Mickey ice cream sandwiches!

Congratulations on completing the full only trained for the half! That's an amazing accomplishment.

Last edited:

I agree with @JClimacus. That IS an amazing feat!

Plus, I have to think of how great a story it is to tell...

Co-worker: How was your Half Marathon?
You: Terrible. It got cancelled.
Co-worker: So sorry to hear that. What a disappointment!
You: It's OK. I just ran the full marathon instead.
Co-worker: <spits coffee all over wall> You WHAAAA????

A tip-of-the-hat to all 1,500 of you fierce people!

:rotfl:It certainly made the conversation interesting.

Love it! I can also hear this:

You: Terrible. So bad that I went and did it all over again.

I didn't see one so why not?

And why Goofy instead of Dopey? Not that I've got anything against Dopey. But for me, I obsess about managing my eating and physical activity in the runup to a major run like a marathon. So I don't truly enjoy Disney prior to race day; I can't wear myself out in the parks or eat the Mickey ice cream sandwiches. After the half (with my daughter) on Saturday I rest up at the resort for the marathon on Sunday. Then, after the marathon, it's a few days of rewarding myself with fun in the parks and guilt-free, uncontrolled eating. Four days of worrying about rest and eating would just drive me crazy.

Boy, sounds like I wrote this! I fell ya. I always like to get there the day or maybe night before the expo - less chance of me eating my weight in Mickey bars. But it is very hard to hit all the parks, enjoy all the food and know that you have to get up 4 days in a row before dawn and run. Then each day, still behave yourself.

I like to add extra days after Sunday, to eat and enjoy. Plus, the walking is a Godsend for the legs.

However, this time around, doing the Dopey (did inaugural) and plan on arriving the week before. So that should be very interesting. Guess I'll have to eat only half a dozen Mickey bars before!

Boy, sounds like I wrote this! I fell ya. I always like to get there the day or maybe night before the expo - less chance of me eating my weight in Mickey bars. But it is very hard to hit all the parks, enjoy all the food and know that you have to get up 4 days in a row before dawn and run. Then each day, still behave yourself.

I like to add extra days after Sunday, to eat and enjoy. Plus, the walking is a Godsend for the legs.

However, this time around, doing the Dopey (did inaugural) and plan on arriving the week before. So that should be very interesting. Guess I'll have to eat only half a dozen Mickey bars before!
I have done stays before and after and I enjoys the stays after the race far more for the reasons that you state. I enjoy the parks and food more after the races, when I can totally relax with no thought of early mornings or race nutrition.

Entered the 2018 Dopey through the annual pass holder page. Only took a couple of days to sell out!
Watched with interest when the run opened to everybody. Other than the $1,150 Runners world entries, it also Sold out in under 2 days.

Rumors are starting to appear that the Half Marathon will be run as a 20th anniversary run as it was cancelled this year.
(Joyful Miles: Jammin' on the Run 021:-
Min 22:00)
(I couldn't find the info on the RunDisney website they refer to so I can't confirm.)

This could mean a bigger haul of anniversary medals for Dopey runners. :dogdance:

Entered the 2018 Dopey through the annual pass holder page. Only took a couple of days to sell out!
Watched with interest when the run opened to everybody. Other than the $1,150 Runners world entries, it also Sold out in under 2 days.

Rumors are starting to appear that the Half Marathon will be run as a 20th anniversary run as it was cancelled this year.
(Joyful Miles: Jammin' on the Run 021:-
Min 22:00)
(I couldn't find the info on the RunDisney website they refer to so I can't confirm.)

This could mean a bigger haul of anniversary medals for Dopey runners. :dogdance:
Disney wasn't quick to change the wording on the website so that led some people to believe that the Half would be 20 in 2018 however that is not true. runDisney is not selling 2018 as the 20th half. They are really promoting Dopey 5 and Marathon 25. Technically it is also 10K 5.

Will they be doing anything special for the 10k then? Kind of weird to recognize Dopey's 5th but not the 10k.

The Goofy 2018 thread is down to the 4th page which is just sad... so I'll ask everyone if there plans for Goofy have firmed up. I'm going to be running the half with my daughter and the full with my son, who is going to try and break 4 hours for the marathon. Which is just about right for me after running the half.

I'm in for Goofy! Same reasons as others have mentioned. I ran the Dopey (with the DIY half at BWI) this year and loved it. I loved running that many races in row, and I actually maintained a regular activity level in the parks and with my family throughout. But I was worried about eating enough each day, getting enough protein, careful about wine, and very concerned about getting sick. (The night before the 5K, our youngest son was sick and I was up multiple times in the hours before the race.) We also ate dinner super early (for us) four nights in a row - we usually eat around 7:30pm, so nobody was hungry for our 5:45pm dinner ADRs. Dopey is a lot for me to ask of my family, both in terms of meal times, letting me get to sleep early, my husband getting all the kids ready on his own, spectating, etc. And my husband was always concerned that I'd run too fast, not eat enough, not rest enough, etc.

So Goofy is perfect for 2018! I'll run the half with our 18-year-old son. He is really relaxed about running and I'll drop back to his corral and run his pace. It will be so fun, and I'll be less worked up about the exact right sleep and nutrition. I'll run the full on my own, and that will require an early dinner and bedtime, but just for one night.

Love this thread! Will help to keep it off of page 4! :)

I have an unusual perspective on the Dopey/Goofy runs.
If you are traveling from Great Britain you don't have to get up early to go run them.
At this point that 5 hour time lag is actually a good thing :)
Rather than get up at 03:00 to go running it just feels like getting up at 08:00 to go running....and I'm up by then every day at home anyway so no problems.

My first RunDisney event was the 2011 Dopey and I loved it. I had been coming to Disney every year for 12 years by then and had been completely unaware of the events . (I normally go at the end of Jan as it can be impossible to get vacation days at the beginning of Jan.)

In 2015 when I got the chance to go back I wanted to max the experience and signed up for the Dopey.

The Thursday 5k is awesome. If you have a higher corral start position you can just walk the whole thing, if you want, and still finish before the people in the last corral. It is a great way to stretch the legs after a nine hour plane ride.

The Friday 10k is also pretty easy on the legs and is also a nice warm up jog around World showcase and past Boardwalk, The Yacht Club and the Beach Club. Again if you start in an early coral there can be lots and lots of walking and photos.

For anybody already trained up for the Goofy the extra miles are pretty easy.
After the runs staying away from the ice cream and sugary/fatty treats....not so easy.

A well. I'm over 50, over weight, have asthma, and still get round a half marathon in under 2 hours.
I'm having that Micky bar....but I'm going to bed at 18:30......that time difference isn't all good I guess.:earboy2:

And then you've got 26.2 to look forward to the next day!

Yup :)
But my 26.2 is all about the event and the finish not about the time. If it takes less than 4.5 hours I'm delighted, under 5 I'm pleased, just as long as it is under 8 you got to be happy with that. Walking happens on the full anyway with the crush at various points (lookin' at you cone ally), water/food stops and restroom breaks. I do the math on the way round and can tell the point when it is possible for me to just walk the remaining distance and still make it in the allowed time.

I'm sure they are really nice but I don't want to meet the balloon ladies thanks.
Has anybody ever seen a RunDisney related video from the inside of a sweeper bus.?. :earseek:

I just ran my first legit HM this past weekend and my legs are still sore. How the heck am I going to finish Goofy?? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!