- Jul 10, 2019
I’m in the same situation, about a week earlier. At this point with no opening date set, I’m figuring the trip is a no go since the logistics of opening the parks requires weeks of preparation. My plan is to not call until just before our final payment date to see what options are available.Forgive my ignorance and my missing this info if it's already on here. If the last payment has to be made 30 days out and people on here are saying they have first week of Sept. vacations that haven't been rescheduled/cancelled. And if say this upcoming Friday they are contacted regarding the parks not opening, since full payment on their deposit would have had to been made prior to Friday's call would they be eligible for a full refund?
Reason I'm asking is my trip is Sept. 14 and I'm REALLY holding onto hope that we can still go but I don't want to throw a big chunk of money at something just to have the trip pulled out and maybe have it refunded or forced to reschedule my trip to a later date.