Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

All of this speculation has me seriously considering doing the Dark Side next month to ensure I get a Kessel Run medal. Looks like registration is still available for the half, and I made the mistake of looking at flights and saw that United has saver awards from Boise to Orlando at perfect times for me to go on Fri. and come back Sun. I'm going to sleep on it....

All of this speculation has me seriously considering doing the Dark Side next month to ensure I get a Kessel Run medal. Looks like registration is still available for the half, and I made the mistake of looking at flights and saw that United has saver awards from Boise to Orlando at perfect times for me to go on Fri. and come back Sun. I'm going to sleep on it....

DON'T SLEEP ON IT!!!! The flight could be gone. The Force is with that flight so go for it! :darth:

I was never good at the voice of reason when it comes to all things Disney! :rolleyes1

Well shoot. I have my money tied up in Raw threads for the challenge. If they cancel Kessel then there's no point in doing Dopey Rebel. woops.

Well shoot. I have my money tied up in Raw threads for the challenge. If they cancel Kessel then there's no point in doing Dopey Rebel. woops.
It would have to be The Dopey Resistance or something. I wasn't planning on Kessel so this doesn't hurt me much. I just want to do Coast to coast.

Well, getting coast to coast and 11 medals in 1 week is pretty cool. Guess there is an upside to it, right @rteetz ? ;)

I hope this means Dark Side gets an upgrade. Or is the Villains race we've all been asking for.

DON'T SLEEP ON IT!!!! The flight could be gone. The Force is with that flight so go for it! :darth:

I was never good at the voice of reason when it comes to all things Disney! :rolleyes1

I think you might be right, LOL! The Force is definitely with this plan. With help from folks on the 2017 Dark Side thread, I just found a bib through a TA at $99 for the half. It comes with a minimum of 2 night's hotel and 2-day tickets, but I need those anyway. If I get the green light from the family, I think I'm going to go for it!!

Interesting that they delayed the registration for Light Side and are clearly changing the name. But why is everyone's mind immediately jumping to Dark Side being cancelled? I'm not saying it won't happen, but there is no basis whatsoever for that speculation. For all those planning on/hoping to do Kessel Run next year, don't freak out or get upset yet. Dark Side is on the calendar of registration dates for 2018, so while I know RunDisney could always change things, I think Dark Side will still be around at least next year, but also perhaps with a name change. Maybe they are realizing they don't need 2 Star Wars races and will cancel it eventually, but nothing from today leads me towards thinking it will happen immediately.

I went for it! Just booked my saver award flights and bought a bib for the Dark Side half through a TA for $99. It could vey well be that no changes are made to the Dark Side for 2018 and that the Kessel Run will remain intact, but this way I'll make sure to get the Kessel Run in (just in case there are changes) and also complete a Coast to Coast, which was something I wanted to do anyway. A little shell shocked that I made this spontaneous decision, but super excited.

The name change here is relatively minor. It just gives them the opportunity to fold the new trilogy characters into the race medals and merchandise, which they already started to do with this year's 10K. And aside from Obi-Wan Kenobi, they've now used the main heroes from the original trilogy.

The delay is interesting, but I'm not sure I see the leap from delaying Star Wars Half at Disneyland registration to canceling Dark Side permanently. I think there are other races that are at greater risk of seeing a theme change because of legitimately low race registrations.

They obviously believed that Star Wars could support 2 race weekends or they wouldn't have started Dark Side and introduced a Star Wars themed Coast to Coast tied to that.

The name change here is relatively minor. It just gives them the opportunity to fold the new trilogy characters into the race medals and merchandise, which they already started to do with this year's 10K. And aside from Obi-Wan Kenobi, they've now used the main heroes from the original trilogy.

The delay is interesting, but I'm not sure I see the leap from delaying Star Wars Half at Disneyland registration to canceling Dark Side permanently. I think there are other races that are at greater risk of seeing a theme change because of legitimately low race registrations.

They obviously believed that Star Wars could support 2 race weekends or they wouldn't have started Dark Side and introduced a Star Wars themed Coast to Coast tied to that.
I do think the name change has a lot to do with capatilizing on The Last Jedi which will come out just a few weeks before the race weekend.

Qny
@Cali Cat What is the galloway app? I can't find it in the app store!
It's called 13.1 by lolo. If you type in "Jeff Galloway" while in the App Store it should come up.

By the way I should have read this thread yesterday. It would have saved me a frustrating break this morning. I had a limited amount of time and couldn't figure out why the sight wouldn't let me register.

I sure hope, like you all, that they keep the Kessler run the same. That was my whole reason to run a half marathon.

I'm just getting sadder and sadder. What total crap timing on my part. Why couldn't I have discovered running just a few months sooner?! I wanted to do Kessel Run this year but had missed Light Side registration by the time I got going. :(
I hope they keep "Kessel Run", too. I had planned on doing the 2017 runs, but we ended up having to make a lot of other travel plans for 2016, so I didn't feel right spending the money.

Let's hope they listen to feedback about this year's design. I don't mind that they changed the design. I don't mind that they chose C-3PO. But to then put no attention to detail on C-3PO for the challenge medal especially after they rightly tried to make Han and Leia recognizable on the half medal was very disappointing.

I feel you @Davidg83 - I gave Raw Threads my $330 the Monday of reg week and 36 hours Disney announced reg was postponed. Now I have money in limbo waiting for my reg link ;)

I want the details for 2018! I hope it's just a refresh for race weekend and not a complete overhaul of the kessel medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter