Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend (January 11th - 14th, 2018)

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by Dis_Yoda, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Davidg83

Davidg83 Mouseketeer

I highly recommend Hot Chocolate SF. The course is beautiful and one of my favorites of the year. Sadly this year the race was during a series of bad storms so the ocean overtook part of the course and they had to shorten the race but it was still fun.

kirstie101 likes this.
  2. HCinKC

HCinKC Hopeful Companion

This wait is driving me crazy. I've been holding off on DS because I want to do both. We'd make LS a family trip, and I'd just do DS alone. We also have an extended family trip next spring, so that plus not being 100% sure about LS, I'm just sitting here waiting to register for both. Ugh. An exercise in patience...:scared:

courtneybeth likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. courtneybeth

courtneybeth Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme...

Feel you @HCinKC - we aren't doing anything with Dark Side until we know we are in for this race.

I registered via Raw Threads for the challenge the morning they post poned (the announcement came about 2 hours after I paid). So I have $330 sitting in limbo - at this point I may reach out to them and ask to be refunded because I paid but I don't have a link yet.

I'd like to put that money towards another race weekend.

Dis_Yoda likes this.
  5. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

Those of us that registered in January feel the same! I have $900 in limbo!

rteetz, kirstie101 and courtneybeth like this.
  6. courtneybeth

I feel you guys too. It's even worse because you guys actively registered.

Does it say when POT is due? I can't imagine registering then needing to submit something right away.

kirstie101 likes this.
  7. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

October 10, 2017
    Which means that even if they opened registration tomorrow, you would have less than 4 months between registration and when POT is due. For someone who might not be thinking about a POT race until after they register ... that's not a lot of time to find a race and train for it.

rteetz and courtneybeth like this.
  8. courtneybeth

That POT deadline is bad, @SarahDisney. We talked about this on the Dopey thread but there's a LOT of amazing October races that happen after these deadlines.

9. Dr Q

Dr Q runDisney Fanatic!

When is the POT deadline for the Dopey? Is it October 3rd? Running for a charity for the first time, so it won't show up on my active account until I reach a certain fund-raising amount. Just want to make sure I do get to enter my POT in time!

courtneybeth likes this.
  10. courtneybeth

Dr Q likes this.
  11. bellrae

bellrae DIS Veteran

I'm coming from halfway around the world and you really need to plan to make a trip like this work and not cost a fortune. I am holding off booking my main plane ticket from Australia to the US as I was going to do this on the way back (after having done Dopey) but if I don't do this I would want to use that time to go elsewhere in the US and as a result leave from a different city. I am at a point where the airfares will start jumping up dramatically in price so I need to make a call on it.

I have a terrible feeling though, if the conspiracy theories around them needing to 'prove' to the city that they can get the streets open are true, this might just mean that registration may not open until after Disneyland weekend in September (though I very much hope I am wrong).

12. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

At that point, why have the race? So many people would be late in their planning! We haven't booked our hotel/airfare yet because of the uncertainty either.

13. The Expert

The Expert Has been to every Disney park in the world!

Well, Paris just opened bib-only registration last week... about 90 days out from their race weekend! Granted, they are not nearly as organized as rD USA but there were plenty of us American travelers getting nervous about airline tickets and accommodations (either already booked or waiting to book). Four or five months out for a domestic race may not panic Disney that much, especially Anaheim where something like half of the participants are usually from California.

kirstie101 likes this.
  14. kirstie101

kirstie101 DIS Veteran

Wasn't the inagural year for either Avengers or Light Side a shorter than usual turn around time?

15. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

No.

Avengers was announced in like February/March and Star Wars was announced in May (my facebook on this day reminded me of this way back when)

kirstie101 likes this.
  16. MommaoffherRocker

MommaoffherRocker Proud to be Dopey

You might be thinking of the inaugural Dark Side. It opened in Sept. and was after Tinker Bell registration.

17. kirstie101

kirstie101 DIS Veteran

I think you're right. Dark Side is what I was thinking of.

18. kirstie101

kirstie101 DIS Veteran

Heres where I admit this is already affecting my training. I have nothing scheduled and I just can't make myself run, especially with the heat wave we're having. I'm feeling very unmotivated. Wish I could do Avengers weekend but I can't.

HCinKC likes this.
  19. 94bruin

94bruin DIS Veteran

This is nuts! First, they pushed registration early so we all fretted about it. Now, it's on hold and we're all still fretting about it! DH & I registered with early registration. It's supposed to be our first half marathon.
    I'm getting nervous as well as I haven't run much since my last race since I had knee issues. I know I need to start back into it. I was planning on doing a race at the end of August, but i'm not so sure anymore. Luckily, I turned out a good POT for the race I ran in April.

Kristie - I hear you on this heat! I wanted to run yesterday but it's been crazy hot!

Tigerlulu and kirstie101 like this.
  20. 94bruin

94bruin DIS Veteran

The suspense is killing me! Even if they have to push registration late just tell us something!!

As an aside, we pre-registered for the race. Do you think they have hotel availability yet? Or should I wait until the officially announce the race - that is if it still even going to happen. I guess it depends on whether or not we'll go race or not....

Tigerlulu likes this.
  21. Tigerlulu

Tigerlulu DIS Veteran

We made a refundable reservation through Marriott just in case. This is getting ridiculous.