"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I are going Feb 8. We went in January this year and had a blast. Funnest part was staying in Peter Pans queue and doing all of the stuff without any worries. Love the rerides on Splash and BTMRR. Even got pics with Elena just because.

I did DAH in May 2015 and then February of last year. Our AP's expire in November. Plan was to not go again until May or June 2018. Now I am scheming to go again this January. I am the Disney freak in our family so of course I want too, but the funny part is that my DH who really is not actually gave the green light to going again so soon. That is simply because of DAH. We had the best time last year! Not definite going yet but I have started doing my OCD checking on airfare...which is of course the first step.

Two quick questions before I go all-in on this (not that it would take much - I tend to see the addition of DAH on our last night in WDW as fate! ;) )

First, how many tickets can an AP holder purchase? We're a party of 5 but only I will have an AP. Can I get tix for all the rest?

Second, what are the odds of this selling out? Am I safe waiting until later in the year, maybe even after Christmas, to buy?

Two quick questions before I go all-in on this (not that it would take much - I tend to see the addition of DAH on our last night in WDW as fate! ;) )

First, how many tickets can an AP holder purchase? We're a party of 5 but only I will have an AP. Can I get tix for all the rest?

Second, what are the odds of this selling out? Am I safe waiting until later in the year, maybe even after Christmas, to buy?

I'm actually wondering the same thing as your second question. I would rather wait a little bit because they are non-refundable.

I actually squealed when I saw the news that this came back this year. I went last year on a whim (after Club Villains) and was too tired to stay the entire time. I also did the event solo, which wasn't ideal (for me). 2DMT was down for most of my time, so I didn't get a ride, but I definitely got to stay on BTMR 5 times on a row, no needing to walk the queue for each ride.

I will be purchasing tickets for January 19th once I know if I'm getting the AP or not. (I'm already leaning towards yes.)

Can someone confirm the cancellation policy and maybe add it to the beginning of the thread? If I read the terms and conditions correctly on the WDW website, my understanding is that this is paid at booking and cannot be cancelled?

Right now, per WDW website, MK closes at 8pm on March 1 and 8. (Unless they updated the website today) The DAaH starts at 9pm on those nights. Do you think Disney plans to update closing until 9pm on those nights? We will be there March 4-10 and kind of bummed with the 8pm planned closing For now. TIA!

I am a west coaster who grew up at Disneyland and have been an AP holder for most of the past 30 years. I took one blow out family trip to WDW in Nov 2014, where we attended MVMCP and really enjoyed the uncrowded attraction lines.

Fast forward to Feb 2017, where I find myself in Orlando for two nights on business. I have to work during the day but have evenings free. I ran through Epcot the night I arrived (exhausting but I got to spend more time in World Showcase as it was one area we didn't spend enough time) and found out about Disney After Hours the second night (Feb 9th). This was mid-week and had no trouble buying a ticket the night before.

Disney After Hours was hands down the best event I have ever attended for riding major attractions without a wait. The park was the most empty I have ever seen any theme park on any coast (and Disneyland Paris). It took me a bit to adjust to riding solo but once I started... holy smokes!!!

I came in an hour before the park closed for regular visitors, grabbed some Starbucks and watched Wishes from the bottom of Tomorrowland Terrace -- Tink flew right over my head. Not bad for walking up as it started.

Once the park closed to regular visitors, the CMs and security were checking lanyards at every attraction. I waited in ZERO lines for anything: walked onto a waiting rocket on Space without stopping. Took the back path behind the raceway to the circus area and saw ONE other person (it felt bizarre to be so alone!). Dumbo was going around empty and people were literally walking on Barnstormer.

I was still a little shy but finally lost my awkwardness at riding solo after 30 mins of wandering and did a quick walk on of Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and then started riding 7 Dwarves Mine Train. Literally, we may have stopped for 60 seconds in the loading area before getting into our mine car. After you rode, everyone was just walking right back on.

Later, they opened the queue so you didn't even have to go all the way out. You just circled back after you passed the cottage. I rode five times in a row and became more comfortable as there seemed to be a lot of solo visitors.

After that, I headed to Haunted, while talking to family on the phone. I face timed them so they could see walkways that were literally empty. I just missed an elevator (is it an elevator at WDW like DL?), so I stood alone in the graveyard for a few minutes...a few creepy minutes. Just me standing outside the entry doors...alone! Luckily other people came because I think it would feel really weird to be in the parlor alone but it was appropriate for Haunted Mansion!

After Haunted, I walked on Big Thunder and Splash Mountain. It was me and two other people in our log. The logs were going around empty and it was a nice night (not too cold to keep people away).

On the back path behind Country Bears (I think it's technically Adventureland) I stopped and took a picture as there was no one back there but me. It was really weird and the greatest feeling ever combined. I can still feel it as I write this!

Next I walked onto a waiting Pirates boat (sensing a theme yet?) and there was one couple and me on our boat. Yep, you guessed it -- boats were going around empty.

Headed back to FL and rode Peter Pan again and finished up riding 7DMT another five times and then the night ended.

It was an incredibly full three hours and I could have done more if I didn't waste some of the first 45 minutes getting used to touring solo.

I can't recommend this event high enough, if you want to ride headliners without waits. GO!!!!!!!!!! Do what you need to, in order to go!!!!!! Best event I have ever attended.

Last edited:

I'm actually wondering the same thing as your second question. I would rather wait a little bit because they are non-refundable.

Someone will likely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember chatter last year about any of them selling out - I'll try to go back and read those threads to refresh my memory. I went to the one the Thursday before President's Day weekend, which I had sort of assumed had a better chance of selling out being aligned close to a holiday weekend, but even that one wasn't sold out - to my knowledge.

Now granted, it appears Disney is much earlier out of the gate selling tickets/marketing event this year. Hard to tell what kind of impact that may have on any potential sellouts. But I tend to think you'll be just fine waiting.

Right now, per WDW website, MK closes at 8pm on March 1 and 8. (Unless they updated the website today) The DAaH starts at 9pm on those nights. Do you think Disney plans to update closing until 9pm on those nights? We will be there March 4-10 and kind of bummed with the 8pm planned closing For now. TIA!

That's an almost certain indication that MK regular hours will be extended to 9PM on a DAH night. :thumbsup2

Also, FWIW (**and not that past performance is indicative of future results**) but I looked it up and this year MK closing times during those dates were:

Sat 3/4/17 - 11PM
Sun 3/5/17 - 9PM
Mon 3/6/17 - 9PM
Tues 3/7/17 - 9PM
Wed 3/8/17 - 9PM
Thur 3/9/17 - 9PM (this was a DAH 9-12 night)
Fri 3/10/17 - 10pm
Sat 3/11/17 - 12AM

Last edited:
Can someone confirm the cancellation policy and maybe add it to the beginning of the thread? If I read the terms and conditions correctly on the WDW website, my understanding is that this is paid at booking and cannot be cancelled?

Good idea - I'll update the front page later today. But yes, this event is like a MNSSHP or MVMCP.... payment is due when you purchase the ticket and it is nonrefundable.

I was in Germany for work on the day I saw the announcement for this and was so excited. As soon as I got back to the hotel that evening I booked it for January 26th. I have been hoping for this announcement for a couple months now...I haven't attended this event yet but have seen reviews/videos. My wife and I are very excited!

Someone will likely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember chatter last year about any of them selling out - I'll try to go back and read those threads to refresh my memory. I went to the one the Thursday before President's Day weekend, which I had sort of assumed had a better chance of selling out being aligned close to a holiday weekend, but even that one wasn't sold out - to my knowledge.

Now granted, it appears Disney is much earlier out of the gate selling tickets/marketing event this year. Hard to tell what kind of impact that may have on any potential sellouts. But I tend to think you'll be just fine waiting.

I don't think any were sold out last year. My biggest concern is that we have no idea what the maximum number of even guests is... People have speculated, but it's all based on nothing except their guess. And if they do a better job advertising it, it could very well be more crowded than last year since they are starting much earlier.

I don't think any were sold out last year. My biggest concern is that we have no idea what the maximum number of even guests is... People have speculated, but it's all based on nothing except their guess. And if they do a better job advertising it, it could very well be more crowded than last year since they are starting much earlier.

Yeah, I think this is a valid concern/observation. Especially that 2/15 date given Mardi Gras week and right before President's Day weekend - but that's just me guesssing/speculating of course.

I have booked the Fireworks Dessert Party with Plaza Garden Viewing on 3/7/18, because I wanted the reserved viewing area for the fireworks. Don't really care about the desserts. Considering cancelling the dessert party and booking After Hours instead. I assume that since the park won't be as crowded, we wouldn't have a problem finding a spot to view the fireworks during After Hours. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Edited to add: I just realized the fireworks are at 8 pm and After Hours starts at 9 pm, so park will be open to all during the fireworks. Hmmm, not sure what to do. Keep dessert party? Don't really want to pay for both, but have always wanted to do the After Hours event.

Last edited:
FW were during normal operating hours. I've done DAH and TTDP and enjoyed both.

Personally, I would choose DAH but I am spoiled by years of DL fireworks. You can always find a viewing spot, although it may not be perfect. Full disclosure -- projection on the castle and a perfect line of sight are not super important to me.

I will also say DAH is 3 hours while FW are over fairly quickly.

Heck do both! I'm an enabler!

I have booked the Fireworks Dessert Party with Plaza Garden Viewing on 3/7/18, because I wanted the reserved viewing area for the fireworks. Don't really care about the desserts. Considering cancelling the dessert party and booking After Hours instead. I assume that since the park won't be as crowded, we wouldn't have a problem finding a spot to view the fireworks during After Hours. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Edited to add: I just realized the fireworks are at 8 pm and After Hours starts at 9 pm, so park will be open to all during the fireworks. Hmmm, not sure what to do. Keep dessert party? Don't really want to pay for both, but have always wanted to do the After Hours event.

When I did DAH last year, I watched Wishes from the train station. It wasn't too crowded and we had a direct line of sight to the castle.

You say 3/7/18 above. DAH is 3/8/18. Maybe you know that but just making sure! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter