Off property wheelchair rental

Elmo007

DIS Veteran
I will be staying off property for about 5 days and will be looking to rent a manual wheelchair (and possibly a shower seat). I saw there are several companies that will deliver the wheelchair right to the hotel and pick it up when you leave. I am arriving late at night and the next AM want to go right to the parks. So i am looking for the most reliable company that will deliver what they say when the say.

Any recommendations?

Are you wanting to rent both the shower chair and the wheelchair from the same company?

Are you staying at a hotel? If so, you can call the hotel property in Orlando directly, speak to either the MOD (Manager On Duty) or the Housekeeping department, and ask if they have shower chairs available, and if you can have one waiting in your room when you arrive.

Also, do you use a manual chair outside of WDW? The reason I ask - respectfully - is that sometimes folks thing they can just hop in a manual chair and push themselves all over WDW. They don't realize that unless you use a chair all the time at home (in your everyday life) that you most likely don't have the hand/arm/shoulder strength to go a full day at WDW, let alone multiple days. Even trained athletes at top form can find it exhausting - there are *so* many more hills, swells, ramps, rises, and inclines than you realize... until you are on wheels! :) The *average* Guest at WDW travels between 3 & 10 miles per day; someone unaccustomed to self-propelling a manual chair (especially a rental chair, which will not be nearly as lightweight and easy to maneuver as a custom chair) will find that day two they literally cannot lift their arms to do anything. And that's no way to spend your time at Disney World! :)

If you have someone traveling with you that can/will push you, then you might let them know to bring along a pair of inexpensive bike or golf gloves (available at any of your finer Walmart stores) to help protect their hands if the rental chair has the old-school hard, black plastic hand grips.

Also, one thing we recommend around here is to take along a length of brightly colored grosgrain ribbon, or a bandana (Walmart also has bandanas, for $1 each, as does Hobby Lobby) and tie it somewhere on your rental wheelchair; it will help it stand out in a sea of similar rentals, and make it quick and easy to spot, especially if a CM has to move it!

I haven't had to rent medical equipment at WDW, but I know that others have, so I will leave the recommendations to them.

I have not called the hotel yet so i dont kniw if they have shower seats. Many do but if not i will get one.

At home we use a companion chair. We want something a little more comfortable for a day and thats why the wheelchair. We will take turns pushing and the gloves and bandana is a good idea.

Just trying to figure out who to use so its there on arrival.

Thanks.

Most rental companies should be able and willing to deliver equipment prior to your arrival. I always recommend Walker and Scooterama (also Randy's, but their policy has always, in my experience, been face to face delivery.)

Thanks for the info. Its a short trip and i dont have time to set up face to face particularly since we get in late. I am looking for delivery from a reliable company.

I would say any of the vendors listed in post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread are "reliable" companies -- keep in mind that any company is going to get a bad review at one time or another. Included in that post is a brief commentary regarding feedback that has been posted by DISers.

I suggest first contacting your hotel to be sure they will accept a delivery before you have checked in, and if so is it restricted to certain vendors (like WDW resorts). Which company is reliable becomes a moot point if the hotel won't accept the delivery on your behalf. Then contact a few of the vendors, confirm they will deliver to your hotel without you being present. Compare pricing and your own gut feeling about customer service based on your contacts.

If you are looking to have both the wheelchair and a shower chair delivered by the same vendor, your options are much more limited. I'd start with Orlando Medical Rentals for that situation.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!