# of meals on DDP

mupt02

Mouseketeer
Quick question about the # of meals included. At one site I read that it correlates with the # of days park tickets you have. At another site it says that it correlates with the # of nights you stay at the resort. In our case, we are staying 9 nights in the resort, but only getting a 7 day ticket. Would our DDP include meals for 7 or 9 days?

Another question. Is it possible to get TS meals without making reservations? We plan on making the reservations for our character meals, but want to just wing it for the rest. Will we have trouble? With a 4yo, 2yo, and 9 month old standing in a long line really isn't the best option. What do you think? We are going the end of August 2010.

End of August has typically been a period where free dining is available. There is already a Bounceback offer available for that timeframe. During that period, I would absolutely make ADRs for your TS meals, especially the most popular (pretty much all character meals, Boma, etc). The DDP is based upon nights your are staying, and everyone on the reservation must be on the plan.

The dining plan goes by the number of nights you are at the resort. Also, the credits are good until midnight on the day you checkout. In August I would make ADR's. As PP said that will be free dining time. You should watch for the free dining to be announced in April so you can get in on it. :goodvibes

9 days and I would make ADR's since the end of AUG. will probably be the free dining. I know someone going the last week in Sept. and can't get anything, she said they called at 90 days out so I don't know. If you look on line there is very little available mostly at the resorts (but not Poly).

9 meals and I woud make ADR's since the end of AUG. will probably be the free dining.

Just to clarify for the OP...on the Regular Dining Plan or Quick Serve Dining Plan a stay of 9 nights will give you 18 meals. The Regular plan give you 1 Table Service, 1 Counter Service meal and 1 Snack per day. The Quick Serve plan gives you 2 Counter Service meals and 2 Snacks per day, plus one refillable mug per person. The mug can be used at the resorts, but not in the parks.

As for reservations, you definitely want to make them and you want to do it as soon as your booking window opens. Many of the more popular places book up months in advance. While it is sometimes possible to get a reservation last-minute, that isn't always the case.

Also realize that if you wait until free dining is made available to the GP you may still have problems getti ng the ADRs that you would hope for as the system soon returns to a 180 day window.

Just to clarify for the OP...on the Regular Dining Plan or Quick Serve Dining Plan a stay of 9 nights will give you 18 meals. The Regular plan give you 1 Table Service, 1 Counter Service meal and 1 Snack per day. The Quick Serve plan gives you 2 Counter Service meals and 2 Snacks per day, plus one refillable mug per person. The mug can be used at the resorts, but not in the parks.

As for reservations, you definitely want to make them and you want to do it as soon as your booking window opens. Many of the more popular places book up months in advance. While it is sometimes possible to get a reservation last-minute, that isn't always the case.

OOPS I should have said 9 days, you are correct, you have a great answer.

The dining plan is NEVER related to your park tickets. It is always tied to the number of nights on your resort reservation. If you have a 9 night reservation package with 7 day tickets and the basic dining plan, each member of your party will get 9 TS, 9 CS and 9 snacks for the entire trip - the park tickets are not relevant.

If you want to be certain you get to use your TS credits, you absolutely need reservations. If you want popular destinations like CRT, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana dinner, be advised that it is most likely you will not be able to get into these restaurants at all unless you have a reservation. Trying to walk up to others might work, but might also get you turned away or result in a long wait. With children that young, most parents want the kids on a schedule, so they look for peak mealtimes. Walking in will pretty much guarantee that you have to be flexible on times.

That said, end of August is not the busiest time at WDW at all, but free dining usually takes place then and complicates things at the restaurant - especially early dinner times, which is what all the families with young children want. I would suggest you have reservations for every TS meal. Most can be cancelled on short notice if you decide you dont' want them.

With a 4yo, 2yo, and 9 month old standing in a long line really isn't the best option.

You are very unlikely to "stand in a long long" if you have ADRs. There may be a short line to check in at the podium but you do not want to bring the kids with you to do that, anyway. Once you check in, you will be notified when you table is ready. On the other hand, if you do not have ADRs you will either wait a long time for an opening or not eat at TS restaurants at all.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter