October 2020 WISH Challenge - A Bunch of Hocus Pocus

dsnyfn1022

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the October 2020 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) challenge!! - "A Bunch of Hocus Pocus" It's spooky season and Hocus Pocus is one of my faves!

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

Motivation Monday,
Topic Tuesday,
WOOHOO Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday,
Free For All Friday,
Social Saturday &
Self-Care Sunday.

This month's hosts
10/5 - 10/11 - dsnyfn1022
10/12 - 10/18 - 4Mickeys
10/19 - 10/25 - Oneanne
10/26 - 11/1 - sjrec

Birthdays!
10/10 - PollyannaMom
10/22 - dsnyfn1022

Share your goals and introduce yourselves!

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Paige. I am 27 (28 this month!) and a new mom to a 4 month old baby boy. I also have a cat child and a boyfriend. I've got a bunch of tattoos. Lastly, Hocus Pocus is my favorite Halloween Movie!

GOAL - last month I had an exercise goal. This month, my goal is related to WW. I want to have blue dots for all week days (for non-WW folks that means you've landed within a healthy eating "target" of points used). The end of the last month/beginning of this was full of STRESS. Which led to bad eating choices because they were rooted in stress relief. I like to enjoy myself on the weekends within reason but if I eat well during the week then I think I can make progress.

~MOTIVATION MONDAY~

What are you gonna do this month to make it "yours"? What's motivating you to live a healthier lifestyle this month?

For me, it's stress. Or rather, trying to take it down a notch. September was ruled by stress for me! So for October, I'm motivated to find a better balance.

In the meantime, my birthday is on Monday, but we are celebrating this weekend.

Happy Birthday!

Anyone planning their post COVID vacation yet? I am itching to get on a vacation. Disney is probably a 2023 activity, if I were to guess. I’m either itching for the beach or some mountains.

We are not really planning anything right now. There is some rumbling from DH about California or Hawaii because we will have so many airline points saved. I have a 3 week California trip planned for some point. I want to start at and go the the end. I thought it would be more after the kids were on their own. I also want to rebook our Disney trip with my mom at some point. This will be after we all feel comfortable going again.

It’s so fun discovering new similarities between us. My birthday was yesterday! And we had Chinese takeout too!

Happy Birthday!

October appears to be a very popular month here! - Mine will be on the 10th. Anyone else's coming up?

Not a birthday but my 16 year anniversary is on the 9th.

What are you gonna do this month to make it "yours"? What's motivating you to live a healthier lifestyle this month?

This month is not too much of my own. DD will have surgery on the 16th. So the later half will be more focused on her. DH and I might have a picnic this weekend for our anniversary. I will still get on the treadmill and get my 60 minutes a day but it might be broken up depending on how DD is. I did a 5k this week end.

I was so excited to do it. I finished in 1 hour and 15 minutes. My mom and I are registered for another one on November 22nd. We both have decided to do one once a month and try to lower our time with each one.

Hi I am Stephanie. I live in Northeast Ohio. One the 9th will be my 16th wedding anniversary. I have 2 kids. Nick is 14 and Elizabeth is 13. Normally these too keep me very busy but right now the only activity they are doing is Elizabeth is doing horseback riding. It is very easy to stay 6 feet apart and we make her wear a mask. I don't get to watch her any longer because I stay in my car where I am not close to others watching there kids. I can't wait until the kids get back to soccer again. I miss watching them play.

My mom and I have decided to do a 5k each month this year. I did one this past weekend and I loved it. It was just on my treadmill but it will give me a chance to get better before I do one in person. My goal is to be good enough to do one at Disney down the road. This will keep my mom and I more excited to get work outs in. She is in the process of moving so she has about a week or 2 before she can get back on her treadmill. She has been in an apartment since early August and will move into her new house starting this week. They are taking moving in slowly since they have all month at the apartment.

My mom's birthday is at the end of the month. My mom's is the 30th and my dad's is the 31st. I won't see my dad for his birthday this year. He normally goes Trick or Treating with us. He has moved to Kentucky and I know they are not social distancing or wearing a mask like they should. I did see my mom this weekend since I won't see her either on her birthday. 1. We will be quarantining from Elizabeth's surgery and 2 is she will be back in school with kids. We don't know what this will look like since the Board of Health rejected their plan to go back. It was all kids back full time and they told parents that their will no social distancing. My mom can only get about 12 inches between her desks in her room. She has said once she goes back she doesn't want to see us because she will feel like she will always have COVID and she doesn't want to get us sick.

Anyways I saw my mom on Saturday to give her her birthday gift. It is the best gift we could have gotten her. It was from My sister, brother and myself. She cried when she opened it. I was the only on there so I video taped it for my siblings. I am glad I did. Here is a picture of what we got her. The date is the day she signed her first contract to be a teacher. We couldn't find the first day of school that year.

Mom's Gift.jpg

Hello, I'm Lizanne a single lady living in Seattle Washington. My October is going to be taken up with doing the ayurvedic cleanse... it is literally going to be a second job. I'm grateful that I don't have to juggle other family responsibilities while I'm working thru it, and that I won't have to leave the house. The next two weeks work is going to be quite hectic, then I have a week off that will include several days at the ocean, which I am looking forward to... I'm hoping for a bit of a storm while I'm there.

Weight/health wise, my October plan is to erase the gains I had in August and September, but more importantly to get back to feeling better.

I caught the tail end of Hocus Pocus over the weekend and will watch it at least once during the month. I took the AllEars "Which Sanderson Sister are You" quiz and came up with Sarah.

https://allears.net/2020/10/03/allears-quiz-which-sanderson-sister-are-you/
My family has ancestral ties to the Salem Witch Trials: Thomas Fisk was a lawyer who sat on the jury of Rebecca Goode Nurse, the last woman to be tried for being a witch. He's remembered because afterwards he wrote a paper on the trial and why the verdict was wrong. I've been to Salem and loved it... I was quite surprised when Thomas was mentioned in one of the dioramas at the Salem Witch Trial.

Last edited:
I’m Sandy, retired and living in south central PA with my husband of 40 years. We’re in the process of downsizing and living most of the year in our house in Ocean City, Md.
I’ve kept most of my 70lb weight loss off for almost 20 years but I have let 5-6lbs come back (can feel it in my clothes) so need to get my eating back on track. I do well for several days and then manage to eat just enough to not lose.
So-changing weigh in to Fridays.
Planning meals and sticking to them. No potatoes, rice or bread with dinner. Walking at least 5 days every week.

I’m Nicole, will be 50 on Saturday, and live in Massachusetts with DH and two spoiled cats. My DS is a college sophomore in Maine, and I’m helping to homeschool my friends’ 5-year-old twins this year.

My health goals are to get into a decent exercise routine to fit my now busier again life, and not to eat too much Halloween junk!

Lastly, Hocus Pocus is my favorite Halloween Movie!

I love Hocus Pocus, and my non-exercise-related goal this month is to catch the “Pop'n Knowledge” version on Freeform! I plan to keep setting my DVR to record in hopes that each airing is “the one” (and then deleting the duds.)

@Oneanne, I will have to try that quiz!

Last edited:
I will still get on the treadmill and get my 60 minutes a day but it might be broken up depending on how DD is. I did a 5k this week end.
Congrats! A 5k is no joke. I always loved the sense of accomplishment in finishing a race. The shirts were fun. I used to (4-5 years ago) do 10ks a lot. I always picked the ones with medals. And then I did a virtual Disney race series one year. I hope that you are able to take some time for yourself while your DD is recovering.

The date is the day she signed her first contract to be a teacher.
What a precious gift!! I love that.
ayurvedic cleanse
I think I missed something! What is this cleanse?

My family has ancesorial ties to the Salem Witch Trials
OMG how cool is that! My coolest ancestral tie is my great great grandfather was the founder of the Kansas City Little Symphony and was a conductor for the UMKC Orchestra. He was a composer as well.

“Poppin’ Knowledge” version on Freeform
What is this??

What is this??

It's a version (I think from the 25th anniversary) with a bunch of trivia facts, a count of how many times they use certain words, etc. It's kind of like other pop-up trivia things I've seen, and really funny. Last year, they would just throw it in as a surprise; the guide would just list the movie normally. I'm hoping they show it this year too!

Last edited:
I think I missed something! What is this cleanse?

I'm enrolled in a fall re-set cleanse with an ayurvedic practitioner, that lasts for a couple weeks. It's going to be pretty intense, and includes things like meditation, journaling, self-massage as well as food choices. And with my allergies the food choices are very limited, I went back thru the list of foods with lectin and I'm basically going to be eating sweet potatoes. Right now the things that have me kind of freaked out are self administered enamas, which I've never done or had done, and eating teaspoons full of ghee... I have a textural thing with eating slimy things so I don't think that's going to fly. She does say to prioritise the thing(s) that would make the biggest impact and for me that is setting a daily schedule/routine and sticking to it, so I'm picking thru the suggestions so I can make a plan.

Last edited:
I'm Summer, 56 years old today. I live in coastal Connecticut, an hour outside of NYC. In the winter, I lost 20 pounds on Noom, which I love. During the pandemic, I have managed to maintain my weight loss, and in July, I lost 7 more pounds. I taught Kindergarten my first year of teaching, and Pre-K in an inner city public Pre-K-8th grade school for 18 years until just last week. I now teach Kindergarten again as I begin my 20th year of teaching. I have 14 students in the classroom, with 2 learning remotely at home. I have a 22 year old daughter who worked at Lord & Taylor for 4 years until her store closed. She’s taking online classes at an Art school in NYC for Fashion. I’m married to a 61 year-old essential worker.

I'm extremely exhausted and overwhelmed, so my only goal is to maintain my weight loss.

Hi! I’m Cristin, just turned 44 on Saturday, wife, mom of 16-yr-old boy/girl twins, kindergarten teacher currently teaching hybrid but about to switch to all live on Monday. I gained about 15 pounds during the quarantine and virtual teaching. But (aside with a few cheat days for my birthday) I’ve been getting back on track now that I’m back in school. For my birthday, my sister got me a humongous water bottle that holds 116oz and has times marked to encourage me to drink water throughout the day. So I’m making that a big part of this month’s goal! I’d really like to get my weight down!

-meal plan and prep each week
-daily workouts (Morning Meltdown 100)
-drink at least 80oz of water each day
-maintaining stress & staying positive

Hi, I'm Becky - 49 years old, married for 28 years this summer with 23 and 22 year old daughters and an 18 year old son. I'm the controller of a midwest agricultural company, so we've been working through the entire pandemic since we're an essential cog of the food chain. My middle DD graduated college this spring, so had a difficult time landing a job, but has found a great job that she is really enjoying. DS just started his first year at college this fall and so far so good.

I've been calorie counting since May and have lost 38 pounds so far. I set my semi long term goal last month on this thread to lose 50 pounds before my 50th birthday which is at the end of December. I had 20 pounds to go and now, I'm down to 12 pounds left for the year. So, my goal this month is again to lose 5 pounds.

I'm Linda from the Pacific Northwest. We were an empty nest until a year ago and now we have our niece's 8 year old twins living with us. Technically we're only having them until the end of June 2021, but DH and I are thinking it'll probably be much, much longer. We're not overjoyed at this, but resigned. And they are cute.

I don't have any specific goals this month. I ran out of prilosec in March and haven't gotten more so have to be very careful what I eat. Giving up chocolate is so not fun, but I have lost weight! My yoga class at o dark thirty in the morning has been happening without me. The instructor has a problem only Facebook can fix so the live classes are constantly freezing. I figured this out after holding a pose FOREVER! This morning she emailed us all a class to do. I didn't sleep worth beans last night so didn't do it and probably won't get up tomorrow, either. I'm choosing rest over exercise.

did a 5k this week end.
That's amazing well done :)

DD will have surgery on the 16th.

Hope the surgery isn't too serious and that all goes well.

I'm enrolled in a fall re-set cleanse with an ayurvedic practitioner,

Wow that sounds full on. Hope you make it through and get the results you are looking for.

Hello all,

I am Sam from the Sunshine Coast, in Queensland, Australia. Single mum to 3 kids. The twins are technically in year 11 but this term actually commence their year 12 units of work - so there will be full on stress in this household for pretty much the next year! I work full time. Have had a very tricky year and am frankly just waiting for the next 9.5 weeks to slip by so that I will be on 6 weeks summer break. I am just struggling all around and usually put high expectations on myself that I then have trouble meeting and then feel bad about that :( So I need to keep it simple.

My goal for October is to eat low carb/keto for 5 days a week - that will give me some wiggle room without feeling like I have failed all the time. Anything else I get done like walking etc. I will consider a bonus this month.

To all of you celebrating birthdays!

Hi, I'm Becky - 49 years old, married for 28 years this summer with 23 and 22 year old daughters and an 18 year old son. I'm the controller of a midwest agricultural company, so we've been working through the entire pandemic since we're an essential cog of the food chain. My middle DD graduated college this spring, so had a difficult time landing a job, but has found a great job that she is really enjoying. DS just started his first year at college this fall and so far so good.

I've been calorie counting since May and have lost 38 pounds so far. I set my semi long term goal last month on this thread to lose 50 pounds before my 50th birthday which is at the end of December. I had 20 pounds to go and now, I'm down to 12 pounds left for the year. So, my goal this month is again to lose 5 pounds.
Congratulations on your outstanding progress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!