Oahu Trip Report

sipnride

Mouseketeer
I hurt my leg yesterday getting out of a kayak (strained hammy) so I'm sitting with a view of the beach

2024-03-2711.23.596082779419441061193.jpg

and a Lava Flow, and got inspired to start logging the trip report. I'm not going to get into the dining too much as that was thoroughly covered in another thread, but that's all been a sideshow in what has otherwise been an amazing trip.

First time to Aulani, my home resort, and first time to Hawaii for me, my wife and my 12yo son.

We flew into Inouye Airport around 1p this past Friday, which marked the official end of spring break for Hawaii schools and the unofficial beginning for California and most other states. It made for some pretty heavy crowds, especially with Prince Kuhio Day, a state holiday here, on March 26. Even with the traffic and the delay from a layover we managed to check in to the Pagoda Hotel and make our 3:30p reservation at House Without a Key (we had flown in a day prior to the start of our Aulani reservation). We had a very nice time at the Halekulani, where food and especially service were incredibly welcoming. After lunch, they had a hula show that was serene, all setting a great tone for the trip. We then stopped at Cuckoos for their version of a piña colada, served in an enormous pineapple, hollowed out thoroughly. The drink was well balanced, not too sweet and if anything a little rum forward. A band started playing funk and soul classics. Glad we were able to check it out.

The Pagoda Hotel is an affordable option not too far from Waikiki but far enough so that you don't feel that particular hustle and bustle. The room was on the smaller side, simple and clean. The lobby and pool area have a Japanese-Hawaiian theme that is well done. They serve breakfast off to the side of the hotel near their koi pond. Breakfast was discounted to $5 each and it was delicious - worth going back to pay full price even if not staying there. The koi pond had a lot of very energetic koi, and the front desk gave out fish food to guests upon request.

1000008392.jpg

After breakfast, we went to Don Quijote, a huge store with an incredible selection of pan-Asian food and gifts. We stocked up before heading back to the hotel and calling a taxi to take us to Aulani.

About the taxi, we called Charley's taxi which offered an $85 flat rate for Aulani guests. After all the fees taxes and tips it came out to $125, but that was still a lot cheaper than the listed price on Lyft and Uber for that hour, and less than what the running meter indicated as well.

I'll follow up soon with arrival to Aulani and first few days of our stay.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter