Oahu Suggestions for Adults

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
Hello, I have booked a VRBO for myself and dh and our three adult children (and possibly dd's boyfriend). We are not staying at Aulani. I could just not justify the cost. (And I am paying for the trip, Lol). We are staying at Niihau apartments in a penthouse....3 bedrooms, sleeps 8 and our cost (even with the high fees) is just over 5K for 8 nights. It's quite near Fort DeRussy, There is actually a Lahaina Shave Ice stand in the building! We will be there in June.
Anyway, what I am wondering is what you'd suggest to do with all adults. We currently are planning Pearl Harbor and Kualoa Ranch (the ATV tour and Secret Island). We've never been to the Polynesian Cultural Center so are considering that as well.
Can we book a reservation for dinner at Aulani? Is that allowed? Or is it just for guests?
I am especially interested in recommendations for surfing lessons for adults, paddle boards, things like that. Also, any kind of sunset cruise. I figure if we do the three above mentioned activities, then the rest of the time can be beach related activities.
Thanks!

Last edited:

SueInBoston

DIS Veteran
My family (6 adults) did the Sunset Snorkel Dinner Cruise with Ocean Joy out of Ko'Olina marina last week and it was wonderful. Captain Doug and crew were excellent in ensuring a fun, positive experience. It is not a booze cruise but bar is opened for dinner. The food was above expectation. But the crew was what made the memorable experience.

CaptainAmerica

DIS Veteran
Bishop Museum, and early in the trip. It enhances everything else you do because you'll make connections to things your learned. I think it's much better than the PCC, especially for adults.

At Pearl Harbor, if you've never been, I would take a whole day and buy the Passport ticket. Arizona memorial, submarine, battleship, aviation museum, and maybe one or two other things. We did the passport from open to close one day and it was a full, complete, exhausting day. There's a restaurant right nearby that's good for lunch. Restaurant 604.

Waimea Valley is a gorgeous nature center with a short walk to a small waterfall on the North Shore.

Our favorite hike is Ka'ena Point. Moderate difficulty. Completely flat, but somewhat long, and exposed to the sun so it's best in the early morning and you need lots of water. We saw whales, monk seals, and albatross.

***Edited to correct a typo. It's Restaurant 604, not Restaurant 608.

Last edited:

monsterkitty

DIS Veteran
We loved Captain Doug and the Ocean Joy. They were probably the best crew we've had on any snorkel tour we've ever done.

OP, I highly suggest Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific. It's a beautiful cemetery, full of history. It also has an amazing view of Honolulu.

Diamond Head

Do the Missouri tour as well as Pearl Harbor.

I'm not a fan of the PCC.

SteveH

Where's my Mai Tai?
I agree with @monsterkitty
I suggest doing the USS Missouri first. Then try to do the submarine and aviation. Save USS Arizona for the end if at all possible, then head up to the Punchbowl National Cemetery. The Punchbowl was very well worth the time, glad we didn't miss it.

longboard55

DIS Veteran
Sunset cruises in Waikiki are great. My favorite boat is the Maitai. Sails nice, good seating, online reservations are easy. Surfing in Waikiki is great for beginners, several stands along the beach offer lessons. You must have a lesson to surf, trying on your own just does not work. With a lesson you will have great success. A group lesson is fine and saves money. Aloha Beach Services is a good place to sign up. Also for sure do the outrigger canoe rides. Only place in Hawaii that will offer these. The waves in Waikiki break very far out so you get a real long ride, it is my favorite activity. Make sure you set aside some cash for pictures

leahi.com alohabeachservices.com

abdgeek

DIS Veteran
Hello, I have booked a VRBO for myself and dh and our three adult children (and possibly dd's boyfriend). We are not staying at Aulani. I could just not justify the cost. (And I am paying for the trip, Lol). We are staying at Niihau apartments in a penthouse....3 bedrooms, sleeps 8 and our cost (even with the high fees) is just over 5K for 8 nights. It's quite near Fort DeRussy, There is actually a Lahaina Shave Ice stand in the building! We will be there in June.
Anyway, what I am wondering is what you'd suggest to do with all adults. We currently are planning Pearl Harbor and Kualoa Ranch (the ATV tour and Secret Island). We've never been to the Polynesian Cultural Center so are considering that as well.
Can we book a reservation for dinner at Aulani? Is that allowed? Or is it just for guests?
I am especially interested in recommendations for surfing lessons for adults, paddle boards, things like that. Also, any kind of sunset cruise. I figure if we do the three above mentioned activities, then the rest of the time can be beach related activities.
Thanks!

I would recommend Waikiki Beach Services at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel for paddle board/surf lessons. I think they also have a location at the Sheraton Waikiki. I used them for paddle board lessons on two separate trips and loved them. I also did the outrigger canoe ride with them which was fun. While I haven’t used them, the Ty Gurney Surf School may be slightly closer to your Fort DeRussy location.

nono

DIS Veteran
Thanks!
Big Wave Dave's is near there. Great set of instructors for surfing! Also second the Maitai cruises.

ironmitch

Earning My Ears
DVC Gold
Thanks!
Electric Beach is really close, but don't leave valuables in car. Nice small breaks and snorkeling.