Oahu itinerary

Discussion in 'Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa' started by olafLover, Jan 8, 2018.

1. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

Somebody asked in an other thread about people's itinerary's on the other islands. I thought it would be a good idea to post ours. We're going on our honeymoon in April/May, visiting Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island. We currently have Oahu and Kauai planned.

This is our plan in Oahu:
    • Stay at Waikiki, we arrive pretty late
    • First day, snorkel at Hanauma bay, visit Honolulu centre, all depending on how tired we are
    • Day 2: Pearl Harbor, we've got a tour booked with Discover Hawaii
    • Day 3: Pick up car at the aiport, drive to Aulani, drop luggage and drive to the north shore, snorkel and sight see
    • Day 4: Resort day, start with couples massage, hang around the pool, character diner and photography lesson at Aulani
    • Day 5: Character breakfast and 2 tour at Kualoa ranch (ATV and jungle tour)

If anybody has any suggestions for diner or some nice spots which are close to places we're visiting, please let me know!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Sounds like a good plan! We did a lot of these things as well. We also really enjoyed Discover Hawaii Tours, we also did a Pearl Harbor tour with them from our Waikiki hotel.

In the North Shore, we loved Kono's! It's a very casual quick service place and you eat outside on picnic tables, but it was one of the best things we ate the whole trip! Would be a good lunch stop. Also recommend stopping at Matsumoto's for shave ice. We loved it so much we bought t-shirts! lol

When you do the couples massage at Aulani, definitely allow time to enjoy the hydrotherapy gardens before and/or after your massage. We thought an hour was good but others prefer longer. Also, if you are getting to the pool mid-day and have trouble finding chairs, we always had success finding them on the deck in front of Ama Ama.

Lastly, don't underestimate how long it will take you to get to Kualoa Ranch. we had 9:15am tour there and they required us to be there at 8:30. We left around 6:45 and between rush hour traffic, an accident, and single lane highways on the windward side, we got there right on time at 8:30. Also recommend booking your tours in advance to secure the times that work best for you - they do fill up and some tours are only offered once or twice a day.

alohamom likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

I forgot to add that we already booked the pearl harbor tour and the Kualoa ranch tours. Our first one is 12.45, so I hope we won't run in too much traffic. We plan to have a lunch there.

Thank you for the recommendations on the north shore!

nkereina likes this.
  5. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

That should be perfect timing! We had the buffet lunch there and it was delicious!

6. alohamom

alohamom DIS Veteran

Good plan to hit Hanauma Bay from Waikiki on your first morning. Go as early as you can and keep in mind they are closed on Tuesdays (not sure what day of the week you were planning) I always bring a light snack, like granola bars or bananas to Hanauma because we always stay longer than we planned. They have a concession stand but it is mostly fries, potato chips, chocolate bars etc and it is waaaay back up the hill as you exit.

7. dolewhipdreams

dolewhipdreams Counting days until my next Dole Whip

Looks like a great itinerary! We loved Kualoa Ranch- it's absolutely beautiful.

For food, a couple places that are scattered around the island that we enjoyed were Vintage Island Coffee and Seven Brothers Burgers. Kua Aina sandwiches was great in Haleiwa (a cute town in general, I recommend spending some time there), and you can take your pick of the shrimp trucks on the North Shore.

While you're at Aulani, check out the Olelo Room sunset menu, which I think is served 5-7pm. They offer some half priced apps and drinks. It was our favorite food that we ate at Aulani.

Good tip! There's also an adults-only pool back behind Ulu Cafe that hardly had any chairs claimed when we were there. No view of the ocean, but nice and peaceful.

One thing we did in Waikiki that was amazing was rent mopeds. If you've got any time to do that (or maybe on another island?) it's a fantastic way to see the island and feel the nice Hawaiian sunshine :D

Have so much fun! And congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon <3

8. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

Thank you everybody for the suggestions!

9. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

We had a great stay in Hawaii during our honeymoon! I'd like to report back with what we actually did and how we liked it. Later I might do a post with photo's (we shoot in RAW and I'm not even done with Waikiki yet!)

We reserved Charlie's to get us to Waikiki. I had to call through where we were and they'd give me the pick up location. Since our pre paid cellphone wasn't working yet I used a payphone (to a toll free number), but the luggage claim area was pretty noisy so I misunderstood the location and had to call again (when there were much less people there) and we found the cab then.
    Day 1
    Woke up really early the first morning, so decided to walk to Leonard's for malasada's for breakfast. They were amazing! We got ready for Hanauma bay but couldn't find the bus stop in the correct direction (in the opposite direction we found several..) So we got there a bit late, but it was really beautiful! We loved it and snorkeled for an hour! We took a cab to Kona's brewery pub for lunch. This was really good also! Went to the bus stop, but no bus... We waited for more then an hour to get into a really really crowed bus. After this I really didn't feel like going to Honolulu anymore. We had a reservation at House without a Key and had a lovely diner there.
    Day 2
    Had breakfast with our left over malasada's and went on our full day tour of Pearl Harbor. I was really impressed by the stories and loved how the movie en museums also shared the Japan side of the story. We got poke bowls for dinner which we ate on the beach. I wanted to see the hula show on the beach but we got there a bit late and it was crowed. We weren't really impressed by it so we left to go to the board walk in front of house with a key to get a beautiful view of the sunset.
    Day 3
    Got up early to pick up the car and drove to Aulani. We first got some pictures and I met Donald. Then we left for the North Shore. We used the GyPSy app (got the package with contains all islands) which was very helpful, because I didn't do that much research on the North Shore. Had lunch at Giovani's shrimp truck, had Matsumoto's shaved ice (which surprisingly wasn't in the GyPSy app!), saw a turtle on turtle beach. Enjoyed a great view of Waimea bay and enjoyed La'ie point. We got back to Aulani at 5, but still hadn't receive word that our room was ready. So we went to the front desk again and something seemed to be off, but we got new keys (is that supposed to happen?) and our room number. We went for a quick dip in the lazy river, but didn't get to finish the entire round before it closed. We had pizza at Ulu cafe.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. olafLover

olafLover DIS Veteran

Day 4
    Resort day! We got breakfast at Ulu cafe, my husband got the breakfast platter and I got the pina colada yoghurt which was amazing! We ate it at the beach, which was still really quiet. We went swimming, made sure we went to each pool and slide. Went to the spa before our appointment. It was soooo relaxing in the garden and the scrub we got smelled really good. The couples massage was really nice, I got a cold after the wedding and somehow this massage really opened everything up, which was good. My husband was so relaxed he fell a sleep! We went again to the garden for a bit and then hit all the characters that were out that day. It started to rain while we were in line for Goofy, so all the characters were moved inside, but nobody really knew where they would be and in the case of Moana if she was even going to be there. I was a bit annoyed by this, because it was dry and I was in line for Moana and nobody even got up to tell she was moved inside (an other CM told me before Moana never gets moved inside, so she would be cancelled if it was still raining). We went swimming again. We had a reservation for Menehune diner which was fun. But for some reason they put us really close to where uncle tells the story, so we were in the middle of the kids, when they had to return their instruments, two ended up on our table. We got DVD's to watch, but fell a sleep while watching them.
    Day 5
    We started the day with character breakfast, the food was really good and the characters were a lot of fun! We went swimming for a bit before we had to leave to Kualoa ranch. I really loved the drive to Kualoa, it was so pretty! We first did the Jungle tour, which was a really good tour, our guide was George (in the Jungle, get it? ;)) and he was really good and funny. It started to rain near the end of the tour, so we rushed to put our backpack in a locker and then to the ATV tour location in the rain. The ATV tour was also a lot of fun, especially in the rain! But for some reason I had a really hard time driving the damn thing ;) I almost was taken of it because I really had a hard time, but I got better after a while. We only had one stop on this tour, which was a bit disappointing, but it was still fun, also because it was in the other valley, so we got to see both. Because of the timing we drove back over the north shore, made a stop at turtle beach, now there were four turtles, including one smaller one which returned to the ocean while we were there, which was nice. When we got back my husband really wanted to go paradise cove, so we walked there. There was a monk seal on the beach. My husband went in to see if there was more in the water and to take pictures from that perspective, I considered it to cold to go in if I wasn't sure there wasn't anything ;) When we returned to Aulani we took a quick dip into the grotto pool to watch the ocean a bit more. We had diner at the taco place across the street.
    Day 6
    We sadly have to leave! We fell a sleep the night before while trying to pack, so we do it in the morning. We quickly bought a present for our wedding photographer and sadly left...