o.k. am i off my rocker???

kelkel03

Earning My Ears
so been bugging hubby for years to go to disney, well he finally agreed, we decided to stay off site at windsor hills, and just do disney for 3 days, well now i don't even want to go to disney:rolleyes1, i have been looking at discovery cove, aquatica, and seaworld, busch gardens packages, and they seem way cooler, my girls are 6 and 8, and though it is a surprise i asked them what they would rather do, swim with the dolphins or go to disney, and they said dolphins, it would cost us about the same to do either, any suggestions???

Personally you get more from visiting Disney World in three days than swimming with Dolphins for one or two hours. Depends on kids ages too but my kids are teens and have done both and still say Disney over the Dolphins. We did the dolphin swim when visiting Cancun. To me it was over too quick. Disney may not sound great until you get there. I find the advertisment for universal and the others to be over the top for what you experience once you get there. They hype it up more than what I experienced. Example the twister ride experience at universal we were expecting something to blow us away. It did nothing of the sorts and was lame in our opinion as we got to stand behind a gate and see some things catch on fire and that was about it. I did think aquatica looked cool but heard it was not as great as Disney water parks.

I would do WDW now...it is so much more magical at that age! Sea World is great too! save the other places for when they are a little older!

so been bugging hubby for years to go to disney, well he finally agreed, we decided to stay off site at windsor hills, and just do disney for 3 days, well now i don't even want to go to disney:rolleyes1, i have been looking at discovery cove, aquatica, and seaworld, busch gardens packages, and they seem way cooler, my girls are 6 and 8, and though it is a surprise i asked them what they would rather do, swim with the dolphins or go to disney, and they said dolphins, it would cost us about the same to do either, any suggestions???
For a short trip, it is more cost effective to do non-disney parks, but I agree with the other posters that right now your kids are in the prime disney target group.

If you decide to do disney, I would do more than 3 days because the cost per day of going to the parks plummets with extra days.

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but I would never try to convince you to visit Walt Disney World. I would go with your gut feeling and go visit the other places and if your family wants to see the dolphins, why fight it. There is a reason why WDW is the #1 tourist destination in the world and yes, I am being selfish, because the more people that visit the other places the less crowded WDW will be.

i just have this feeling to do the other things, the whole point of the trip was disney, but i watched the vacation planning video from disney, and it just did not get me excited, but looking at the websites for seaworld , discovery cove etc, did, now hubby is really balking at the price of doing these things, it would be around 1120.00 to do discovery cove (with the dolphin swim), busch gardens, aquatica, and seaworld, just seems we would get more bang for our buck that way.

i really appreciate all the opinions, this board is wonderful

If you don't upgrade the DC package and take out aquatica/ bush gardens that would give you 1 day to visit magic kingdom. Do the free SW day that comes with DC. I know you want to get the bang for your buck, but do you want to spend two hours traveling to bush gardens for one of those days? And if your swimming with dolphins and snorkeling do u need another day at aquatica? Just some things to think about.... at that age they would love magic kingdom. princess:

Do what interests your family the most. We have been to Disney once in 2009 and we have been to Orlando two other times, 2007, 2010 to do the Busch parks. We do prefer the Busch parks over Disney ourselves and are going again in June. We had a great time at Disney, but we were a little disappointed. It just wasn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. I think Disney vacations are more addicting than anything because of the planning involved.:confused3 and yes I would like to go again. My youngest DD was 7 when we went and did not even know alot of the characters, she's just not that much into movies, but my oldest DD who was 17 at the time loved it, so I don't think there is a prime age really.

Decide as a family what you want to do and you will enjoy it more as a family.:grouphug:

Tough call....I have done Discovery Cove, Seaworld, and Busch Gardens plus multiple Disney trips. Discovery Cove will be a great experience but I would make sure to check out height requirements at Busch Gardens and Seaworld. DD6 was bummed that she couldn't ride many of the fun rides so we will hold off a few years before going back. We are taking DD to Discovery Cove for the first time this May and she is very excited, but I don't think she would give up her Disney days to do it.

Show your kids many, many pictures of all the places and go with what is right for your family. My DH would be happy going to FL and never setting foot in a Disney park (likes US and Discovery Cove much more)

Just do what your family wants! It's your vacation! :thumbsup2

And I will be taking my own advice. We are taking a 12yr DGS to IOA and if he wants to do all non-Disney, that's ok. It is his week in Orlando.

DH and I can always go back. We live within a short drive of WDW.

I"ve only been to WDW in FL, never the other parks. I would love to do SeaWorld and universal but have been waiting till DD is a little older. She is 7 so we've taken her at 3 1/2 and 5 1/2. She had a blast at WDW each time, loved the characters and the rides at the parks, the pool & beaches at the resorts.

I have friends who have taken their kids to all of the FL attractions and while they alwasy have WDW in the mix, they have had a great time at all of them. Lots of the WISH reports on here include info from the other parks, so they may give you an idea of activities are good for your kids.

Now, frankly, if I asked my daughter if she'd rather swim with dolphins or go to disney, she probably would say swim with the dolphins (AND then go to Disney:rotfl:) but really the dolphin swim is only a small portion of the things so its not really a fair comparison--and its something she's never done before. Until we actually got to WDW for the first time, neither DH or myself had a true understanding of what we were getting ourselves into. We live in NE PA -- we do Hershey Park, Dorney Park, Knoebel's, Great Adventure, lots and lots of amusement parks up here. THey are fun, they just don't touch the full magical package of DisneyWorld. Not that I am trying to sell you on it, just trying to explain that the difference between "an amusement park" and DisneyWorld is well a World of difference:goodvibes:lmao:

If my DH were up for it, and it was the same cost, I might give up a day to do either discovery cove or seaworld but would still want 2 or 3 WDW days.
Just my two cents.

happy planning!

I think your plan sounds like a great one. There is always next time to go to Disney :thumbsup2

well we made a decision, we are not going to do discovery cove this time, i am sad, but at least that gives me a reason to come back to florida!!, so we going to do disney for 2 days, and then get the unlimited passes to seaworld, and aquatica, thanks so much for all the great advice

I think you may regret not going to Magic Kingdom for at least on day. We had an amazing time at Discovery Cove & Sea World (included with our D.C. ticket), but your kids are at a perfect age for magical Disney memories.

well we made a decision, we are not going to do discovery cove this time, i am sad, but at least that gives me a reason to come back to florida!!, so we going to do disney for 2 days, and then get the unlimited passes to seaworld, and aquatica, thanks so much for all the great advice

I think you you are doing sounds terriffic! This is quite similar to what we are doing next week. SeaWorld is our very favorite park. Aquatica is great too and pricing with SeaWorld is quite attractive. We love Disney too, but only for a day or two per trip. We've been to all the parks that you mentioned before, and they are all world class. If I was picking, though, I would probably have picked exactly what you are doing. What you have is a fantastic combination that is economical and fun with lots of variety and perfect for the ages of your children (great for any age really). (Not to discourage you from trying it sometime, but I personally think Discovery Cove is overpriced and overrated for what it is. And while Busch Gardens is great, it's all the way in Tampa. Why go all the way there when there are so many great things to do right in Orlando.)

Next week for us its:
Day 1 -- SeaWorld
Day 2 -- MK
Day 3 -- sleep in and a little time at the Kennedy Space Center
Day 4 -- DHS
Day 5 -- sleep in and partial day at Sea World
Day 6 -- sleep in and resort time prior to late afternoon flight home.

(I let DS pick the entire intinary and this is what he picked, and I'm thrilled with his choices. Can't wait!)

When you go to Seaworld check on times for feeding the Dolphins. You pay $7 per person. We did this a few weeks ago and my boys though alot older than your children loved it. You can also feed stingrays for $5. Alot cheaper than Discovery Cove.

;) Just sitting here thinking if I am interested in IOA, Aquatica, etc. No, in ten trips to WDW Dh and I are completely happy only being there, so WDW is the only place we go to in Orlando. It is even difficult for me to want to leave property and go to the Florida Mall, although we did go there on a rainy day one time. I am just glad that everyone has an option. Maybe someday I will do it just to say I have been there :confused3. I think you and the kids will have a fabulous time.

I think you you are doing sounds terriffic! This is quite similar to what we are doing next week. SeaWorld is our very favorite park. Aquatica is great too and pricing with SeaWorld is quite attractive. We love Disney too, but only for a day or two per trip. We've been to all the parks that you mentioned before, and they are all world class. If I was picking, though, I would probably have picked exactly what you are doing. What you have is a fantastic combination that is economical and fun with lots of variety and perfect for the ages of your children (great for any age really). (Not to discourage you from trying it sometime, but I personally think Discovery Cove is overpriced and overrated for what it is. And while Busch Gardens is great, it's all the way in Tampa. Why go all the way there when there are so many great things to do right in Orlando.)

Next week for us its:
Day 1 -- SeaWorld
Day 2 -- MK
Day 3 -- sleep in and a little time at the Kennedy Space Center
Day 4 -- DHS
Day 5 -- sleep in and partial day at Sea World
Day 6 -- sleep in and resort time prior to late afternoon flight home.

(I let DS pick the entire intinary and this is what he picked, and I'm thrilled with his choices. Can't wait!)

your trip sounds good too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter